ESXi 6.0 install in Hyper-V VM network issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
ok, here is the overview of my problem.

I want to setup an ESXi 6.0 free version in my Windows 10 Hyper-V setup.
This is not production or anything, just a test run to review some things.
I tried installing 6.5 but it will not install as it can not find network card.
6.0 installs and everything seams to be working. I can even get to internet from with in the VM.
(I tried dropping out to CLI and ping anything outside the network (WAN) works fine, but the LAN is off limits)

any help in fixing this is appreciated. thansk

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
i know on physical install of esxi 6.5 you need a network card on the approved hardware list. Generally any intel card will work. If you dont have intel you need to slip in the driver into the installer. I would assume when you virt it, you also need an approved card. Can you set the nic on hyper-v to intel based model?

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
no ,I get what I get.
however, as I was googling around I found that it is not an full disaster :)
it seams I can not access the ESXi VM from within the host, as in the PC I am running the Hyper-V on.
but if I use other PC it is reachable. so now I can at least test a few thing.
it's inconvenient, as I have to RDP into one of my office VMs or Servers and reach the UI from there but workable.

I only want to check out the WebUI that ESXi6 and up have and see if it has some features I want to use on my real server.
now I need to figure out how to make the virtual scsi controller to work. as my drives are on it. :)