ESXi 5 RAM G34 socket

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
Looking to change/add to my server setup from a Xeon E3-1230 to a dual or quad G34 socket. I plan on running ESXi 5 and I am curious on how the RAM/CPU free license works on multi socket setup, since there seems to be conflicting information out there.

1) Is the RAM truly 32GB max per CPU or system total. i.e, 4 socket system have 128gb max or 32gb max
2) If it's more than 32GB max is it more than 32GB per VM?
3) Can you do say 48 cores in a VM? (4x12 core magny cours)
4) How is ESXi 5 on the G34 socket from a stability and ease of use standpoint?

Thanks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
ESXI 5.0 (assuming you mean the free version) is 32GB physical memory per server. Frankly, going 4x Magny Cours is probably overkill with that much RAM being available.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
Well I was looking at doing was running napp-it SAN with OI and having a BOINC in with another VM while idle, since OI doesn't support it natively. I have been doing it with the Xeon E3-1230 for a while and was looking to upgrade to more power in the server. Thats why I was looking at the magny cours. I am not sure with the new Xeon's if BOINC is better with a dual Xeon or a 4p system due to the individual thread. Can't have a box not crunching.

mmmmmdonuts

Mar 22, 2012
BIONC doesn't use much RAM. Give it a bit and OI lots.
Not necessarily true, but I was going to give 1GB of RAM per CPU core, and the rest for OI. If there are 48 cores available and only 32gb of RAM I would be choking the system.

Patrick, when you say per server does that mean a hard 32GB limit, regardless number of sockets or per license? (Just want to make sure because this wording is what has been getting me lately)