ESXi 5.5, OmniOS Stable and Napp-it - vmxnet3 and jumbo frames

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
In the vmxnet3s.conf you can apply settings for 1..10 vnics in a commalist.

my default setup is like
TxRingSize=4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096;
RxRingSize=4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096;
RxBufPoolLimit=4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096,4096;
EnableLSO=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0;
MTU=1500,1500,1500,1500,1500,1500,1500,1500,1500,1500;

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
@gea

So does the list start with adapter 0 or 1?

What is considered the best optimizations for the all in one esxi network.

Your 10g optimizing document was for and external SMB server

What about optimization for a virtual nfs share or internal SMB share that never leaves the host

I use napp it to serve nfs shares internally to esxi host. Internal and external SMB mounts to both esxi vms as well as physical clients on my network

The internal mounts are all served on an internal network vswitch 10.55 and external via the vm management vswitch which is the one with the esxi physical adapter 192.168

I have read that using jumbo on the virtual network provides no bennifit but I have not seen testing documents.

My biggest issues are that my home enviro is macs and Omni falls down with no support for smb3 and permissions are difficult to manage especially with the free product.

It took me so long to toy around with this setup that by the time I put it online at the house the trial was up so never got to try any of the pro features

I just have the one esxi host and an external 8088 connected shelf for a backup array that I would only like to power up once a month to run a backup of both the esxi machine pool and my media pool. But I am unable to try any of the esxi snapping or other features since its running unlicensed.

Zpool exporting that external pool in the shelf and powering it off does no make napp it happy is there a more proper way to power down a pool or say export a 2 drive pool hit with the server running. In zfs osx on my old server exporting a pool un mounted the disks at the os level and permitted a safe hot pull

If I wanted to auto snap esxi internally to the host from one pool of drives to another does that need replication or is that just a auto snap job?

Any chance of getting a longer term testing key?

During the freenas debocle I was looking for lighter weight zfs solution for an all in one that was stable, cheap, and has good monitoring.

Now with the questions to the professional stability on Omni and the useability of napp it free I am winding if I go back to freenas or have to pay to possibly make napp it work better for me. How much is a home license for monitoring and such for my use case. I find no prices anywhere.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
@gea

So does the list start with adapter 0 or 1?
What is considered the best optimizations for the all in one esxi network.
increase ESXi buffers, increas eNFS servers and buffers,
on a physical ethernet increase tcp buffers and mtu

ESXi internally etherything is software so tunings regarding ethernet frames will not help

Your 10g optimizing document was for and external SMB server

What about optimization for a virtual nfs share or internal SMB share that never leaves the host

I use napp it to serve nfs shares internally to esxi host. Internal and external SMB mounts to both esxi vms as well as physical clients on my network

The internal mounts are all served on an internal network vswitch 10.55 and external via the vm management vswitch which is the one with the esxi physical adapter 192.168

I have read that using jumbo on the virtual network provides no bennifit but I have not seen testing documents.

My biggest issues are that my home enviro is macs and Omni falls down with no support for smb3 and permissions are difficult to manage especially with the free product.
Macs arre slow with SMB1, SMB 2.1 or better is ok
Macs are slow on SMB, disable signing and even then 10.5 was faster

It took me so long to toy around with this setup that by the time I put it online at the house the trial was up so never got to try any of the pro features

I just have the one esxi host and an external 8088 connected shelf for a backup array that I would only like to power up once a month to run a backup of both the esxi machine pool and my media pool. But I am unable to try any of the esxi snapping or other features since its running unlicensed.
For a home server th free version is ok. Pro mainly gives comfort and support.
A new setup comes with a 30 day Pro trial. You can also request a two day trial online at napp-it.org

Zpool exporting that external pool in the shelf and powering it off does no make napp it happy is there a more proper way to power down a pool or say export a 2 drive pool hit with the server running. In zfs osx on my old server exporting a pool un mounted the disks at the os level and permitted a safe hot pull
Pool > Export and remove the disks, insert the disks and Pool > Import

If I wanted to auto snap esxi internally to the host from one pool of drives to another does that need replication or is that just a auto snap job?
Replication transfers or sync a filesystem based on snaps.
Replication over a network requires napp-it Pro or a free script

Any chance of getting a longer term testing key?
I can offer another 30 day trial.

During the freenas debocle I was looking for lighter weight zfs solution for an all in one that was stable, cheap, and has good monitoring.

Now with the questions to the professional stability on Omni and the useability of napp it free I am winding if I go back to freenas or have to pay to possibly make napp it work better for me. How much is a home license for monitoring and such for my use case. I find no prices anywhere.
napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Extensions