ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 6, 2016
Why would you want a Xeon E5-2600 v4 series CPU and not use ECC???
price. Just like the reason you use ES instead of retail.

I have been running ESXi without ECC for years and never noticed any issue because of it. As far as I can tell, at least with E5 2600 v3 single socket non-ECC UDIMM works, it just not advertised by Intel.

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Got it up and running but the board ended up having 2 bad usb ports so it is getting replaced.
odd things Processor marked as QG24, HWInfo says QG7V.

Cinebench R15 puts it at about the same as my dual 2670 system.

VT-D works fine, installed unraid, set up a VM passed video card and sound card and played a few games. WOW @ 1080P was running ~90fps at decent high settings.
Thank you so much for showing this! Just pulled the trigger on the same processor.

xcite

Jul 12, 2016
Greetings everybody! Guys, can someone please help with advice?

Is it possible to run somehow E5-2695 v3 QDCS ES ? I have two CPUs but both, offcourse, doesn't boot up in ordinary X99 boards. Both boards shows POST code - 79. Maybe someone had a deal with that CPUs? Which boards / BIOS should make them work :)

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
So my first adventure in ES V4 cpus didn't go too well, more of a 50/50.

Picked up:
2x E5-2667 v4 ES (QHVD)
2x E5-2698 v4 ES (QHUZ)

The 2698s worked great right from first boot and after an initial diagnostic run there were no problems. The 2667s on the other hand spit out log entries about internal cpu errors and never finish posting on two different Dell R630s I've tried. The chips were also listed as being compatible with that server. I've emailed the vendor to do a refund or exchange, we'll see how that goes.

Reactions: chicken-of-the-cave

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA

Is it possible to run somehow E5-2695 v3 QDCS ES ? I have two CPUs but both, offcourse, doesn't boot up in ordinary X99 boards. Both boards shows POST code - 79. Maybe someone had a deal with that CPUs? Which boards / BIOS should make them work :)
What board are you using? Most seem to recommend SuperMicro or ASRock for ES to work.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016

its up the bios programmer if they boot or not.
QDxx is a very early ES, thats bad. QHxx mostly runs.
flash newest bios first with compat. cpu.
Choose ASRock first, that runs ALL
By the way: a good seller ASK's you what mainboard you have,
or in reverse YOU MUST inform the seller first what mobo you have(icomputer_parts....)
If they know its compatible he ships them or gives you alternative chips(bloomax)

Last edited:

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
If they know its compatible he ships them or gives you alternative chips(bloomax)
Bloommax had incorrect compatibility info on the pair of 2667s I got from them. Either that or both of my chips are actually broken in the exact same way, which seems unlikely. There still seems to be a bit of uncertainty even with a good seller like Bloommax.

They're doing a full refund so it's not a big deal.

xcite

Jul 12, 2016
What board are you using? Most seem to recommend SuperMicro or ASRock for ES to work.
I've tried to start it on Gigabyte and Asus, will try to get ASRock... Which models should i search for better compability ?
its up the bios programmer if they boot or not.
QDxx is a very early ES, thats bad. QHxx mostly runs.
flash newest bios first with compat. cpu.
Choose ASRock first, that runs ALL
By the way: a good seller ASK's you what mainboard you have,
or in reverse YOU MUST inform the seller first what mobo you have(icomputer_parts....)
What do you mean under "QDxx is bad" ? Maybe it makes no sence for me to make any further movements with it ? :)
The price was very low for that couple of CPUs, so the question of compability was not so important.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I've tried to start it on Gigabyte and Asus, will try to get ASRock... Which models should i search for better compability ?

What do you mean under "QDxx is bad" ? Maybe it makes no sence for me to make any further movements with it ? :)
The price was very low for that couple of CPUs, so the question of compability was not so important.
"the price was very low" now u know why....
the lower the char is the greater is the chance of incompatibilty ;)
Look for QExx QFxx QGxx QHxx, see CPU-Z shows a minimum of "1" in stepping(not "0")
In addition its curious that your ES have 2,3ghz(same than OEM) clock.
normaly this is only on QS ones, but QS have QKxx etc.
Here is my E52658v3 ES QEYP on GIGABYTE X99
Zwischenablage01.gifE5-2658v3_cpuz_cpu.jpg

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016

I found some sellers of them, all writes "they work as pairs"
don't know if that can be true, can not verify that

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
I've been going through a lot of research hitting analysis paralysis and can't make decisions on what cpus to buy. One of the things I'm stuck on is trying to figure out what is "different" in terms of speed regarding these ES and QS cpus vs their OEM production. From what I can tell, a lot of the v1/v2 ES seem to have higher base frequency and higher turbo speed multipliers closer to their OEM equivalents, but the v3/v4 ES cpus seem to #1 run at a lower frequency than their OEM equivlent and #2 possibly have their turbo bins locked? This is the part I cant really tell from the CPUZ captures. Do v1/v2 and v3/v4 ES processors have their turbo multipliers locked completely or partially or not at all? And is QS the same as ES or the come later and may have higher turbo frequencies?

basically I'm trying to figure out of I should buy dual E5-2683v3 OEM's or go for an ES or QS of a v3 or v4 if i can get more cores and higher frequency and where I would get the most bang for the buck. Understandably it depends on the load i'm putting on them, which for me would be ESXi multiple VMs running lots of concurrent realtime transcodes (emby) , 1080p/2k/4k records (blueiris), and omnios zfs and various storage and other projects running on other VMs. so it could be a hefty load at times just to give a background. i'd also rather go towards the v3/v4 models vs v1/v2 for efficiency reasons too. I'm not going to spend little money for old powerful cpu (or multiple nodes) but end up paying more for it over time through power bills, i'd rather fork out some extra $$ up front (but not crazy) and run more efficiently in the long run with lower power bills.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@yobigd20:
ES v3 v4 are locked same as the OEM/retail parts(except the E5-1650 v3 OEM is unlocked, dont know if ES too)
Base clocks of ES v3 v4 are ALL lower than OEM/retail parts.
ES v3 v4 Turbo bin's are all cutted down(and locked), about 200...300nhz lower than OEM/retail parts.
QS is a ES close/same to OEM/retail but still marked INTEL CONFIDENTIAL and in specs you see "eng.sample QS"
Intel has understand that they can't inhibit selling/reselling ES prozessors, so the ES have lower performance.

Last edited:

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
@yobigd20:
ES v3 v4 are locked same as the OEM/retail parts(except the E5-1650 v3 OEM is unlocked, dont know if ES too)
Base clocks of ES v3 v4 are ALL lower than OEM/retail parts.
ES v3 v4 Turbo bin's are all cutted down(and locked), about 200...300nhz lower than OEM/retail parts.
QS is a ES close/same to OEM/retail but still marked INTEL CONFIDENTIAL and in specs you see "eng.sample QS"
Intel has understand that they can't inhibit selling/reselling ES prozessors, so the ES have lower performance.
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that the turbo steppings for v3/v4 ES weren't "shut off completely" such that you pretty much only run at the base clock and that's it. Last thing I want is to be stuck at 2.0Ghz for all cores. Is there any way to see this via their CPUz capture? Sometimes I see pics where it shows the frequency of all cores running simultaneously and they are at ~1.1Ghz (like half the base clock) where the multiplier has paranthesis that shows 11-23. What is that about? Also does this mean max turbo for all cores is 2.3Ghz? Why would they run at 1.1 if base clock is 2.0?

That being said, is there any way to "force" all cores to run at the minimum stepping and never step down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk