ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
I can't test this until after I decommission my current server. But I created a BIOS mod for the X9DAi that should support ES CPUs off the latest BIOS version. Since this board doesn't have IPMI, the only way to recover if it doesn't work will be to desolder the chip. It's not a very complex procedure - I did it when I first purchased the board years ago to downgrade. I also added the module that supports NVMe boot.

If anyone wants to give it a go off a spare board, please report back. Otherwise I'll be testing in a few weeks. Also included is the hard to find factory 1.0 BIOS that supports ES chips.

https://mb300sd.net/files/X9DAi.7z

I can attempt this for any other boards with an early BIOS that supports ES and no support in later versions. No guarantees it won't brick, but recovery should be easy if it has IPMI.

Here's X11SPM9_521 with the ES microcode
https://mb300sd.net/files/X11SPM.7z

Last edited:

PuriPuriLive

Sep 11, 2019
Good news for folks with the QEY8 E5-2695 v3 -- the HUANANZHI DDR3 X99 actually works with this CPU! I'd previously tried this chip on 4 different boards before and had given up on it for over a year until I saw someone post about the AliExpress board, so thanks!

Here's the link to the board on AliExpress: US $127.8 40% OFF|Brand new HUANANZHI X99 motherboard with M.2 NVMe SSD slot discount X99 LGA2011 3 motherboard 4*DDR3 4*USB3.0 10*SATA3.0 ports-in Motherboards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I tested it with 4x8gb sticks of DDR3 ECC Reg RAM and it booted up first try. The only thing that hasn't worked on it is my m.2 SATA drive (Samsung 860 EVO 1TB), and that figures because the spec page only mentions nVME and not SATA.

I can also confirm that the QEY8 reports as 14 cores 28 threads at 2.30ghz base speed, clocks during Cinebench were 2.70ghz at stock motherboard settings. Cinebench R15 result was 1830cb.

There's an overlocking section in the BIOS, but I haven't messed with it yet. Attached is the Cinebench R15 result and the CPU-Z info for it.2696v3_QEY8_CINEBENCH_andcpuz.jpg

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Chinese seller on ebay stated that there is some Supermicro "Modded BIOS 3.0" that support any Xeon ES LGA 3647. Anyone know anything about it?

Last edited:

samthekiller

Oct 10, 2019
Can anyone confirm if Cascade lake ES processor something like 6224 QQ8B will work on non-Supermicro motherboard (for eg: Asus WS C621E or Asrock Rack EP2C621D12)? Planning to build a workstation rig and trying to see if it makes sense cost wise.

Mihail

Dec 4, 2017
Chinese seller on ebay stated that there is some Supermicro "Modded BIOS 3.0" that support any Xeon ES LGA 3647. Anyone know anything about it?
the chinese seller must be selling the QLxx ES CPUs and these work only in supermicro boards like i've got an X11SPL-f with bios 2.0 if you able to buy one of those bios 2.0 boards this won't require any modification in order to run. i'm not sure how the 3.0 bios gets modded this why stay with 2.0

Can anyone confirm if Cascade lake ES processor something like 6224 QQ8B will work on non-Supermicro motherboard (for eg: Asus WS C621E or Asrock Rack EP2C621D12)? Planning to build a workstation rig and trying to see if it makes sense cost wise.
this was my question not long ago i've managed to get really cheap Gigabyte GA-C621-SU8 for just under £200 then i've tried to find a good cpu for this board then managed to order on an Xeon Platinum 8260 QQ89 ES2 CPU (i was told by the seller that QQxx work are supported by most boards if that has bios updated) and this works very fine in that board which has Cascade Lake support in all bios versions. for other boards i think you will need to make sure the board has bios update to support Cascade Lake cpus for the Asrock board you mention this would be P2.10 BIOS

LazarusLong

May 23, 2018
I also got some qey8 xeon e3 from long ago. Similar story i buy them and it was imposible to make it work in any board i put them. The end result was

Board
JINGSHA X99 Lga 2011-V3 motherboard 4 channel Ddr3 256G Ram M.2 Ssd Sata3.0... Usb3.0... pcie 16X for Intel I7 E5-V3 2678 2669 to 2649

Cpu
Intel QEY8 E5- V3 , linux is telling me it is a 14 core 2.3-3.0 Ghz 306f1 stepping 14, no actual name, just the intel genuine processor thing.

Ram
2 x Samsung M393B2G70BH0-YK0 16gb 2Rx4PCRL 12800R 11-11-E2-D3

Thos processor are probably some quanta server salvage. Still i think there is either foul play from the ebay sellers or they really don't know what processor is QEY8 (they advertised as 2699v3 18 cores with 3.5Ghz turbo) , i tend to think it is the first option as they always put them as "for parts not working" in order to avoid the returns.

Last edited:

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I have a Supermicro x11spi-tf-o with Intel QL1K ES processor. It came loaded with BIOS v3.1, which doesnt support this chip :(

Anyone have one of these boards with an ES chip and have any advise?

Supermicro wont provide me with the 2.x bios revisions and said I cannot downgrade to 2.x after upgrading to 3.x bios (board came with this bios). Is this true? Can I modify the 3.x bios to include the microcode for the skylake ES chip I have? Can I load an older bios via the IPMI (I have a serial)?

Can someone provide me with older bioses for the board or a modified bios that will work with this chip?

What can I do besides return the board and chip?

Thank you!

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Supermicro wasn't helpful via their email/ticket system.

I called their 24 hour support line and they sent me the v2.1 bios! After activating the IPMI interface, I was able to downgrade from bios v3.1 to v2.1.The Ql1k chip now boots and functions properly. Crisis averted!

gyrene2083

Sep 2, 2019
Good Afternoon All,

I have been perusing the pages, and I am still a bit uncertain about what would be good for me. I was hoping someone could assist me, I have the following mobo:

Supermicro-X10SRL-F Version 1.01B, AMI 3.01c.

What is the maximum sized Xeon I can run? Right now I am running a E5-2620v4 (8 cores). Thank you all for your help.

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
i've also recently downloaded the entire supermicro SFTP site.... so if anyone knows the zip files they need for bios or other things, I can search what I got

johnnyzero

Dec 2, 2019
Hi, i have required 2 xeon QCZP intel confidential ES tried to boot them on a supermicro x9drw-if. I got a bios from netherland support page. The guy pointed out that this cpu will not work on this bios downgraded from v1.0b 10/11/12 to v1.0

He was correct did not work, is there any chance i can add a microcode(custom bios) or other mb? Belive this is ivy bridge, first stepping possible..just guessing here :)

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
I've read about 30 or so pages but didn't see anything conclusive.

I've got a couple of E5 v4 (based on looks) ES/QS processors coming which I need a board for to run some tests.

Does anybody have any recommendations in terms of 2011-3 boards that are ES/QS friendly out of the box or via an easily available BIOS downgrade? It would be good if the board was a bit more on the affordable side as well, as it'll be used mostly for testing. Chinese boards are OK.

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
@Indecided - Supermicro X10SRH-CF has worked well for me for quite a few years. It's run a QS e5-2630l v3 and currently a QS e5-4667 v3.

The board has been out long enough now it should just come with a v4 ready BIOS. Anything v2.0 and higher can handle v4 xeons. When I bought this board new, 3 or 4 years ago, it came with v2.0 BIOS, so I don't see it being much of a problem.

Reactions: Indecided

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
Does anyone know if SuperMicro X10SRL-F supports ES cpus? (ebay seller does not know)

i am looking to buy one CPU for it, and have been looking at
Intel Xeon E5-2695 v3 ES QFGH $110
I see the turbo speed is low on this one, but is there anything more known bad on this stepping?

-Sogndal94

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Does anyone know if SuperMicro X10SRL-F supports ES cpus? (ebay seller does not know)

i am looking to buy one CPU for it, and have been looking at
Intel Xeon E5-2695 v3 ES QFGH $110
I see the turbo speed is low on this one, but is there anything more known bad on this stepping?

-Sogndal94
Typically v2.1 of the bios from supermicro work with ES chips. V3.x bios versions have issues. Use the wayback machine on supermicro's firmware site to see the old download links to the earlier bios versions. I also recommend searching this thread regarding that board and ES chips.