ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

himtan

Apr 8, 2019
Consult with this page http://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket 2011-3_Haswell.html

Xeon E5-2670 v3 QS QFS0 and an Intel Xeon E5-2685 v3 QS QGJK
Xeon E5-2685 v3 12 / 12 2.6 GHz 3.3 GHz 30 MB 2 120W QS QGJK
Xeon E5-2670 v3 12 / 24 2.3 GHz 3.1 GHz 30 MB 2 120W Stepping M0 QS

Both CPU are QS, should be able to do all-core-turbo , take your choice.

Another choice is this CPU around $250
Intel Xeon E5-4667 v3 QS QH9C 2GHz 16C LGA2011-3 C612 X99 Same as E5-2698 v3 | eBay

I seen this CPU below $250 before.
Keep search for it in the future. At $271.00, this listing is been around for a while.

I happened to have this CPU , it is doing 16c/32T @ 2.9ghz, motherboard is Asrock x99 ws.

I would not buy ES chip now, only QS or better version, because hardware or software of early ES version may not be around in the future.

Example, motherboard bios update ( you need newer feature like nvme support ) may render your ES cpu useless.
Vmware dropping cpu support for older cpu.
thanks for your answer. My motherboard does not seem to support E5-4667 v3 :
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99S/HelpDesk_CPU/

I want this cpu for home use, not professional use. Also my motherboard does not taking any more bios updates from 2018.
The only qs available in my budget are these : 2011-3 xeon qs | eBay

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
For other items, I agree with you.

If you look back this thread 100 pages ago, we been buying CPU from China many months.

Patrick and I brought many ( me over 50 chips ) from China without major problem.
Most problem are shipping issue. They always refund promptly.
Other minor annoyance was some seller refund the money , claimed no inventory , but full refund.
I think it's because they know they don't have a chance of winning in a dispute, so they avoid a situation where it would go that way. They're also always super polite too I've found :)

I also have an e5-4667 v3 QS. The first one I received was a dud and would cause my system to reboot, and then finally fail to the point where it couldn't even POST without hard locking. The replacement I received however has worked perfectly since I installed it in the fall. The seller was quick to blame my motherboard, but after some back and forth, agreed to replace the chip, or refund my money. I wish all ebay sellers were that quick with refunds.

EvilMagpie

Feb 18, 2019
It would be nice if I could find a board that would actually support the Phi, so that I can learn all about programming CPUs with hundreds of threads. :)
I've even picked up an S-code Xeon Phi for not too much at all. But the heat spreader is different and the heatsink clip won't attach correctly.

clnt

May 10, 2019
Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker here I finally received my Xeon 8176 ES QL1F from penguinestore, but I am not able to POST as it is stuck on PEI--CPU Initialization with the code B1

According to the documentation B1 corresponds to DXE Phase : 0xB1 -> Runtime Set Virtual Address MAP End

Hardware Details
MB Supermicro X11SPM-TF rev1.01 running latest IMPI(1.68) and BIOS(3.0c)
RAM Samsung LRDIMM 64GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19, ECC (M386A8K40BM2-CTD)

I have contacted Supermicro's support, I did both CMOS and hard reset (shorting battery slot) with one stick of RAM in the DIMMA1 slot without any luck.
They think it's related to RAM as B1 set the virtual memory addresses, so I have contact the RAM supplier, which were quite surprised since it's correctly specs for the MB

The thing is Samsung RAM is not listed as validated for the MB I'm using though some X11 have it like the X11DAi-N

I'd like to have some inputs before I proceed with the replacement of the RAM with a validated one

[Edit]
Downgrading to BIOS 2.1 fix all my problems

Last edited:

romanstingler

Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

Long-time lurker here I finally received my Xeon 8176 ES QL1F from penguinestore, but I am not able to POST as it is stuck on PEI--CPU Initialization with the code B1

According to the documentation B1 corresponds to DXE Phase : 0xB1 -> Runtime Set Virtual Address MAP End

Hardware Details
MB Supermicro X11SPM-TF rev1.01 running latest IMPI(1.68) and BIOS(3.0c)
RAM Samsung LRDIMM 64GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19, ECC (M386A8K40BM2-CTD)

I have contacted Supermicro's support, I did both CMOS and hard reset (shorting battery slot) with one stick of RAM in the DIMMA1 slot without any luck.
They think it's related to RAM as B1 set the virtual memory addresses, so I have contact the RAM supplier, which were quite surprised since it's correctly specs for the MB

The thing is Samsung RAM is not listed as validated for the MB I'm using though some X11 have it like the X11DAi-N

I'd like to have some inputs before I proceed with the replacement of the RAM with a validated one

you have to downgrade your bios.
es support only up to 2.1, at least x11dph-t

Last edited:

Confusion

May 15, 2019
Greetings to everyone!

I have a pair of Cascade Lake ES CPUs and Supermicro X11DAI motherboard. It seems to have an old bios and doesn't post with "All channels are disabled due to memory test failures.". I tried to access ipmi with no luck (as i know, it is possible to apply license key to flash bios with it).
CPU seller ensured me that the cpus were tested with X11DAI and latest bios.
So the questions are:
Does anyone have experience with Cascade Lake ES cpus and Supermicro boards?
How is ipmi accessible by default with a machine not posting? Should it be accessible?

Thank you!

clnt

May 10, 2019
Greetings to everyone!

I have a pair of Cascade Lake ES CPUs and Supermicro X11DAI motherboard. It seems to have an old bios and doesn't post with "All channels are disabled due to memory test failures.". I tried to access ipmi with no luck (as i know, it is possible to apply license key to flash bios with it).
So the questions are:
How is ipmi accessible by default with a machine not posting? Should it be accessible?

Thank you!
There you go for the license it saved me !

To access IMPI, plug the dedicated ethernet port with a DHCP on the network and you're pretty much set

Confusion

May 15, 2019
There you go for the license it saved me !

To access IMPI, plug the dedicated ethernet port with a DHCP on the network and you're pretty much set
My board has no dedicated ipmi port, it should be shared with lan1, and lan1 definitely shows some activity, but when I plug it into a DHCP network, the router doesn't see any device connected to it. Some weird stuff going on.

clnt

May 10, 2019
My board has no dedicated ipmi port, it should be shared with lan1, and lan1 definitely shows some activity, but when I plug it into a DHCP network, the router doesn't see any device connected to it. Some weird stuff going on.
While POSTing it will display the IP if it got one

clnt

May 10, 2019
you have to downgrade your bios.
es support only up to 2.1, at least x11dph-t
Apparently Supermicro support wasn't aware that B0 stepping microcode was remove from BIOS update since 2.1. They told me it wasn't suppose to happen and will forward the problem to the BIOS team.

Confusion

May 15, 2019
Greetings to everyone!

So the questions are:

Thank you!
Good news!
I managed to make it run! (with 1 CPU for now, as I have no second DIMM currently).
I used tftpd64 to run a DHCP server on my Windows machine. IPMI was accessible at LAN1 port.

Then I updated BIOS up to version 3.0a, and my machine posted successfully with one 5218 ES (QQ8M) CPU.

So it is confirmed that X11DAI-N supports Cascade Lake ES CPUs (at least one of them).

Hope that this information will be useful for someone here.
I will post some updates when extra memory arrives and I will populate the second CPU slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: yesunboy

Ebayripoff

May 17, 2019
I have two Xeon QJW5, which I believe to be gold 6138. What would be my best bet for a motherboard and ram for these?

romanstingler

Nov 8, 2018
reply from supermicro

Microcode upgrade is provided by Intel for a list supported Xeon SP Server processors, and SuperMicro has no control about it.

This document from Intel public website lists the supported CPU support.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...A00233-microcode-update-guidance_05132019.pdf

If your CPU is not in the latest BIOS/microcode update, then it means the latest microcode does not support the CPUs especially your CPUs are early engineering samples.

Samples are not supposed to be in production, and you should be aware that Intel will eventually cease the support.