ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Riok

Dec 28, 2017
@Riok the retail 1650V3 is "fully unlocked" meaning, you can set ram frequency as you like, core and i think turbo multipliers.
Used mine for overclocking with some 3200Mhz Gskill Ram on an Asus Rampage V Extreme with a custom water loop and 4.9Ghz for "records" and 4.3 for a lazy daily OC, so not the maximum that'd be possible for daily use.

How far is your ES locked / unlocked?

Cinbench R15 on mine was somewhere around 1200. Kind of cool that Ryzen is head to head with Haswell, had it head to head with a R5 1600.
Yeah, it seems to me that Ryzen is delivering great performance and with lower TDP and lower cost.

I published in Xeon ES/QS Turbo Bins Database my available multipliers and they are:
1c: 36x, 2c: 35x, 3c: 35x, 4c: 35x, 5c: 35x, 6c: 35x

This ES runs at 3.2Ghz and turbo at 3.5Ghz, compared to the retail which runs at 3.5Ghz and turbo at 3.8Ghz. So it's performance is closer to an i7-5820k than an i7-5930k.

I have never overclocked a cpu so I don't know how do it at all. Maybe it's not possible with 2133Mhz ram. Things seems quite locked for me here but if you have any tip/tutorial to follow I would be happy to know.

Last edited:

scraper

Jul 31, 2018
@RageBone

Shame it did not work. I am quite certain they are suffering compatibility issues. Since i got mine from working quanta system, but oddly it worked paired with DDR3 ram.

Someone before mentioned they were sold in these quanta systems, think it is earlier in this thread.

That would lead me believe that its compatibility issue, since its quite unlikely all different cpus of same type died in same way(bad memory controller).

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@scraper indeed, you are right.
@Riok well, shit.

Quanta DA0S2BMB8D0 LGA 2011-3 Server Motherboard TQ544 LL4 V3 M | eBay

Is a Quanta ddr3 board.
Though the overall problem is rather who wants that as his workstation?
It will be pretty expensive, the board isn't that cheap, and then you need those, THOSE psus. Those won't be easy to find, or cheap.

The system seems to go by the name: Quanta DAOS
Some ID: DA0S2BMB8D0
Some other id: TQ544

Reactions: scraper

scraper

Jul 31, 2018
Ye, it is PITA to get that system.

On other hand maybe its BIOS could provide solution to make it work wit "regular" boards? Dont know it something like that has been done before in similar example.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
If I were to build 10 Xeon ES systems for number crunching what would be the best value? Only need 8 gb ram per cpu. Was wondering if a ddr4 system would be better value with such low ram requirements.

Last edited:

Javik50k

Oct 11, 2018
Here is the proof of working QLNS Xeons on SuperMicro X11DPH-i motherboard:

Bought from makimoo-uk on Ebay, he have some more, so who want the perfectly stable dual CPU workstation - you can use my advice. Remember, X11DPH is the only verified motherboard that can run these ES2 Xeons. ASUS will not work. Maybe GIGABYTE will do, but i don't have it to check. You may experience "Unknown device" in Device Manager/Processor, but this have no effect on CPU operation or performance. Be aware: NH-U14S DX-3647 coolers are a bit too big for X11DPH, use NH-U12S DX-3647 instead. Or go with water cooling.
Also, use 6 DIMMs per CPU, or memory configuration will revert to quad channel instead of six channel (i currently have 8x4GB on first CPU and 4x8GB on second, for a total of 64GB, planing to get 12x8GB in the future).

Reactions: BennyT and tesla100

Oleh

i realized too late that U14S is too big for dph-i, was forced to bend heatsink a bit inside (~5mm) and mount both cpus together and also one of fans is oriented in opposite direction :) Btw what is the all cores turbo frequency on these es golds ? Did you run cinebench 15 on it ?

Javik50k

Oct 11, 2018
5482 in Cinebench for now, but my memory configuration is not optimal (4 channel instead of 6). Maximum turbo is 3,5 GHz vs. 3,7 on retail, but ES2 have higher fused TDP (205W, max. for the X11DPH) and have tendency to use higher frequencies. In multi-threaded apps it is always 2,9 GHz (except for AVX512 loads). As for coolers, i simply trimmed some conflicting ribs (had to set up one fan as outtake, but that is totally ok for me, temp difference is about 5-7 degrees, never had more than 63C in Obsidian 900D under heaviest load).

Reactions: Patriot and Oleh

Javik50k

Oct 11, 2018
Here is my solution for 14-series Noctua coolers:

Maybe someone know, how to avoid "unknown device" in Device Manager/Processors? It is not affecting anything, but it's no beauty either. Also one of the PCI Express root ports is under Code 12, i think this is a port for ASPeed video and error caused by setting anything in BIOS from legacy to EFI.

Reactions: tesla100

_haru

Mar 24, 2018
Perth, Australia
Finally got my QL32 (A0 stepping E3-1230 v6) working in my Asus Z270-AR. All I had to do to get it running was dump the bios with a CH341A SPI flasher, open it up in Intel FIT, set the 'Reserved' value in the 'ME Kernel' section to 'Yes' and flash it back with the SPI. 100% stable so far.

CPU-Z:

Firestrike:

Cinebench: upload_2018-12-24_12-13-47.png

Reactions: Zhang

BennyT

Dec 1, 2018
...Be aware: NH-U14S DX-3647 coolers are a bit too big for X11DPH, use NH-U12S DX-3647 instead. Or go with water cooling....
Regarding lga3647 coolers, I went with Noctua "NH-D9 DX-3647 4U". I have X11-DPI-NT, but the socket placement is same as the DPH board. The fans are alot smaller on the nh-d9 (92mm) compared to those on the NH-U14S, and the orientation with the D9 pushes the air toward the I/O panel.. just another option incase any looking for 3647 coolers. And of course there's the supermicro cooler solutions with smaller fan, if needing even lower profile.

Last edited:

Mihail

Dec 4, 2017
LGA3647 Engineering samples looked nice so decided to give them a try, Xeon Gold 6138 ES QL1L paired with X11SPL-F (the motherboard came with the latest bios on arrival) and 64GB (8x8) DDR4 ECC REG 2133 in hex channel worked like a charm from the first try using a cheap Dynatron B5 cooling solution got fitted everything in a gaming ATX case and temps after two hours of prime95 are not exceeding 70C

xeon SP.jpg cachemem.png xeon sp2.jpg

Reactions: LukeP and BennyT

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Yup thats looks like DDR3 for sure. But i'm not interested in a QEY8 anymore, my Epyc is running strong :D

Haven't unlocked the OC options yet but allcore turbo works currently.
Heres what i got out of it:
cinebench.jpg
Still headroom, i'm running in quadchannel, with timings all over the place and an ancient Agesa update.

Reactions: RageBone and Mihail