ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
In theory you should be able to run xeons on x299 and vice versa by ticking the "reserved" option in the intel bios editor tool to "yes", same as running 1151 xeons on consumer chipsets. but afaik no one has done it yet
Can you provide more info? Which intel bios editor tool? I didn't know there was an official one other than the Integrator Toolkit.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Can you provide more info? Which intel bios editor tool? I didn't know there was an official one other than the Integrator Toolkit.
For AMI Bios use AMIBCP to unlock extra menu options, MMTool to extract/exchange Modules and Microcodes, for everything else (or if the other things dont work) use UBU + Hex Edit. The AMI Tools are sometimes hard to find because AMI is on a rampage taking down downloads.

If you need an SPI flasher i'd suggest the CH341a with a SOIC8 clip cable, works under Windows with the chinese software and under linux (faster and verifies automatically) with flashrom. On Asus Boards you can sometimes get away with the build in flashback function, but it's always better to have a programmer for possible mess-ups.

Last edited:

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I just realized that this chip has a pirom RFID chip on one of the corners. Could read it with an RFID reader. I think the Xeon W will have a functional pirom while the desktop Skylake i9 will be disabled and does not have data .

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Mine should be in Tuesday, going to wait for a board until I have a bit more info.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Is the Xeon w-2155 multiplier locked? Saw a seller on eBay selling blank lga 2066 CPU for $30. Looked through his reviews and a few buyers mention that the CPUs work perfectly. Assuming that the pictures he posted are the same for all of the chips he has on hand, the capacitor shot looks like a Xeon w 2155. Intel Socket LGA2066 i9 Xeon W - Blank Processor | eBay
How are you determining that it looks like a w 2155 and not the i9-79xx series? The bottom shot of both CPUs seem to look the same.
Thanks for any info,
jp

vabch22

Aug 8, 2016
Hello all. I recently picked up a X10DRW for a good price. So now I need to populate the sockets but cannot afford OEM CPU's. It can take e5 2600 v3/v4 and would be used for homelab and virtualization. What is the best models and sspec to keep an eye out for? Need to stay around $400 for the pair. Thanks as always.

Last edited:

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
How are you determining that it looks like a w 2155 and not the i9-79xx series? The bottom shot of both CPUs seem to look the same.
Thanks for any info,
jp
Yeah. I replied back to this thread shortly after noting that they all look the same and can't tell.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
No luck guys. Tried it on an x299 and also c422 board and no post. My asus c422 board had the CPU error light triggered. Definitely did not win the lottery.

_haru

Mar 24, 2018
Perth, Australia
No luck guys. Tried it on an x299 and also c422 board and no post. My asus c422 board had the CPU error light triggered
it could be an early stepping that doesn't want to run on an asus board (i know the 3647 ones are pedantic about that). you may want to see if you can find a supermicro or similar that is known to like pre-retail ES.

Reactions: foureight84

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
it could be an early stepping that doesn't want to run on an asus board (i know the 3647 ones are pedantic about that). you may want to see if you can find a supermicro or similar that is known to like pre-retail ES.
That's a high possibility. I will look around for one. If it works for anyone here, please let us know.

Reactions: _haru

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Hello all. I recently picked up a X10DRW for a good price. So now I need to populate the sockets but cannot afford OEM CPU's. It can take e5 2600 v3/v4 and would be used for homelab and virtualization. What is the best models and sspec to keep an eye out for? Need to stay around $400 for the pair. Thanks as always.
If your not looking for a huge setup you could probably manage a pair of E5-2620 final spec CPU for that price and avoid ES/QS completely.

Reactions: vabch22

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
No luck guys. Tried it on an x299 and also c422 board and no post. My asus c422 board had the CPU error light triggered. Definitely did not win the lottery.
Did the chip look just like the pictures from the listing? I should be getting one of these chips next week and will probably try it on a supermicro as they seem to be more forgiving with any type of non-stock chip. gigabyte also makes a 422 board but they may also be picky. Were your MBs know good with any other chips to compare? I recently got some epyc es chips that I was testing with some MBs that I also got off of ebay and it made for some overly complicated troubleshooting. I had some stock epyc chips and a known good mb that help it sorting things out. The es chips actually worked pretty well but the ebay MBs were not that great. I am assuming that you used the correct ram for the corresponding chipsets. Thanks for keeping us updated.
jp

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Did the chip look just like the pictures from the listing? I should be getting one of these chips next week and will probably try it on a supermicro as they seem to be more forgiving with any type of non-stock chip. gigabyte also makes a 422 board but they may also be picky. Were your MBs know good with any other chips to compare? I recently got some epyc es chips that I was testing with some MBs that I also got off of ebay and it made for some overly complicated troubleshooting. I had some stock epyc chips and a known good mb that help it sorting things out. The es chips actually worked pretty well but the ebay MBs were not that great. I am assuming that you used the correct ram for the corresponding chipsets. Thanks for keeping us updated.
jp
My x299 is sketchy. Bought it used on ebay and it was not in the best of condition. The Asus C422 Sage Pro is pretty much brand new. They might be really early ES or just dead chips.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I noticed that with the x299 FTW K, there was a light near the CPU labeled FIVR and that was on. I looked up the manual and that light means "Indicates CPU integrated voltage regulation failure." They're probably dead chips.

Last edited:

vabch22

Aug 8, 2016
If your not looking for a huge setup you could probably manage a pair of E5-2620 final spec CPU for that price and avoid ES/QS completely.
Thank you. I found a single E5-2630 v4 QHVK laying around in a parts bin. Hopefully it works. I may try and pickup another of the same spec and pop those in.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
I noticed that with the x299 FTW K, there was a light near the CPU labeled FIVR and that was on. I looked up the manual and that light means "Indicates CPU integrated voltage regulation failure." They're probably dead chips.
were you able to figure out if these chips were the xeons or i9s? Did you try different ram with each board? I guess we could always delid them at this point! I am assuming that the xeons would be soldered and the i9 would just have thermal paste between the die and the IHS. It may very well be futile but would be great if we could get them working.
best,
jp