ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Hello everyone,
I'm considering to buy a Xeon E5 2696 v3 ES QEY8, i have a Asus X99 Deluxe and read about the problems on the AsRock Board. This is probably a microcode issue, isn't it? I have a bit of experience with Bios modding (it's pretty easy to swap microcodes), so i think the issue can be solved by swapping the MC from a Board the CPU is running on. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also did anyone managed to overclock a V3 Xeon? The locked I7 Haswells have a microcode glitch where you can downgrade the Microcode and set the allcore turbo as high as you want. Did this on my Dell M3800 Notebook and OCed the I7 4702HQ to 3,8 GHz.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Is the Xeon w-2155 multiplier locked? Saw a seller on eBay selling blank lga 2066 CPU for $30. Looked through his reviews and a few buyers mention that the CPUs work perfectly. Assuming that the pictures he posted are the same for all of the chips he has on hand, the capacitor shot looks like a Xeon w 2155. Intel Socket LGA2066 i9 Xeon W - Blank Processor | eBay
I don't understand the idea behind these chips? so they are missing capacitors and also not marked? are they like rejected parts?

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I don't understand the idea behind these chips? so they are missing capacitors and also not marked? are they like rejected parts?
Yeah I have no idea. They could be ES. I bought one to try out. I figure $30 isn't a big loss. I have spare ecc ram to try. Just need to find a used c422 motherboard.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Yeah I have no idea. They could be ES. I bought one to try out. I figure $30 isn't a big loss. I have spare ecc ram to try. Just need to find a used c422 motherboard.
I've sent questions to the seller as to how these CPUs came to be but seller hasn't responded. Quite curious. Makes me feel like these failed internal testing and maybe should have gone to scrap? He has sold close to 600 of these, of which two feedbacks say they're counterfeit. I didn't see those feedbacks before. This will be interesting to see once I get it to test. Most likely dead CPUs. I'll update with results.

Reactions: John Titor

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I just realized that this blank cpu could be Xeon w or Skylake i9. The chips look exactly the same in terms of the number of capacitors in the back. Of course Skylake Xeon w requires a c422 motherboard and i9 uses x299. Damn it! I don't have an x299 board .

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Um what do you mean counterfeit CPUs?
There are some fake xeons out there, so always look twice at the capacitors and the ihs. This was the weirdest one i found, haswell xeon with broadwell branding. People are going through the hassle of rebranding low power shit and are selling them as unknown mystery CPUs or highend ones.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
I just got the CPU in the mail today. Does not look like it has been used at all. The ihs does not look like it was sanded down to remove the marking either. Quite interesting. I will be testing it this weekend if time permits.

Reactions: Klee

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just got the CPU in the mail today. Does not look like it has been used at all. The ihs does not look like it was sanded down to remove the marking either. Quite interesting. I will be testing it this weekend if time permits.
Cool, let us know what it actually is and how it works. I thought about just ordering two just for the hell of it and maybe after I find out what they are find a used motherboard for them, not that I need anymore computer hardware but if it is a good replacement/upgrade for something I have that would be nice.

Edit: It's cheap enough just to buy and keep it until boards are more reasonable in price as long as I know what it is.

Last edited:

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Cool, let us know what it actually is and how it works. I thought about just ordering two just for the hell of it and maybe after I find out what they are find a used motherboard for them, not that I need anymore computer hardware but if it is a good replacement/upgrade for something I have that would be nice.

Edit: It's cheap enough just to buy and keep it until boards are more reasonable in price as long as I know what it is.
Will do. I had to buy another board to test it out. I had a C422 lying around and ended up buying an x299 and some ram since I only have ECC. That was a money driven move by Intel to split chipset requirement with the Skylake CPUs.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Will do. I had to buy another board to test it out. I had a C422 lying around and ended up buying an x299 and some ram since I only have ECC. That was a money driven move by Intel to split chipset requirement with the Skylake CPUs.

So are they x299? and i9? not C422 or Xeon?

There are some relatively cheap x299 boards out there even new, no cheap C422 boards.

Edit: Aww hell I just went ahead and ordered one. Maybe it will work just fine and I can get a x299 board and replace my FX8320 gaming setup.

Also it seems the 2011 and 2066 use the same cpu cooler mounting dimensions, yay I already have a cooler I can use it's a Enermax Liqtech 120X all in one cooler and its rated up to 300W.

But if anything it would make for a cool Christmas tree ornimate.

Last edited:
Reactions: foureight84

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
So are they x299? and i9? not C422 or Xeon?

There are some relatively cheap x299 boards out there even new, no cheap C422 boards.

Edit: Aww hell I just went ahead and ordered one. Maybe it will work just fine and I can get a x299 board and replace my FX8320 gaming setup.

Also it seems the 2011 and 2066 use the same cpu cooler mounting dimensions, yay I already have a cooler I can use it's a Enermax Liqtech 120X all in one cooler and its rated up to 300W.
Skylake i9 and Xeon W are the same chips but made to work with different chipsets. Let me know if it works for you. I am not putting up any hopes. If there were big success rates with these we would have probably heard people talk about it on this or other tech forums.

Last edited:

_haru

Mar 24, 2018
Perth, Australia
Skylake i9 and Xeon W are the same chips but made to work with different chipsets. Let me know if it works for you. I am not putting up any hopes. If there were big success rates with these we would have probably heard people talk about it on this or other tech forums.
In theory you should be able to run xeons on x299 and vice versa by ticking the "reserved" option in the intel bios editor tool to "yes", same as running 1151 xeons on consumer chipsets. but afaik no one has done it yet