ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
Nice thread! And here comes the question;

Does anyone have knowledge how the late ES's will work on R7910 (or R730)? In Intel Xeon E5 v4 Broadwell-EP 2.1GHz 24-Core ES CPU C612 X99 MB Beats E5-2699 v3 | eBay bloommax states, that QHYH works. Any bets how will the dual E5 2667 V3 ES QEYA work?

IDK should gamble a bit and shove 600-700€ to unknown ES's or _wait_ and _wait_ for Threadripper. In case I'll wait for AMD, gotta sell the R7910 which I got for under 800€ - or again, _wait_ _wait_ and see if the Xeons are dropping down their prices when new CPUs hit the market.

Please share your thoughts and opinions.

Update: Received further info regarding the compatibility of ES Xeons on R7910 systems:
Bloommax said:
All A1/L1 stepping ES2 and final stepping (B0/M0/R0) QS V4 processors work for R7910. A0 stepping ES0 processors are not supported.
At this stage, with the new upcoming CPUs, I'd rather not spend a $ 600 on two ES chips that can easily be outperformed by a cheaper, upcoming single CPU, but rather wait and see the prices drop.

Last edited:

lbjm

May 29, 2017
At this stage, with the new upcoming CPUs, I'd rather not spend a $ 600 on two ES chips that can easily be outperformed by a cheaper, upcoming single CPU, but rather wait and see the prices drop.
Prices of ES were dropping a bit on the eBAY. but like I was suggesting earlier if you are going to buy an ES chip DO your research A0-L0 are bad buys. M0-QS are still good. Hell I even saw v1 and v2 early ES chips going up, I had a good laugh. I really wanted to report this guys trying pass off his ES chips as OEM chips but I messaged him instead and he seemed more like a noob seller than a scammer.

Gio

Apr 8, 2017
I decided to join the ES bandwagon, my Supermicro X10SRL-F got here this week and I finally been able to run some benchmarks on the QHV6 v4 E5-2650 v4 I purchased off a china seller.

is it normal for the Fritz Chess Benchmark tool to not be able to find all my 24 logical cores? It says only 16 logical ones found. Cinebench seems to use all cores though.
Cinebench.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:

kylaris

Jun 13, 2017
Anyone has any experience with e3 1240l v3 QFZS?
I'm shopping for low power xeon for my server and came across it. Is this a stable chip? CPU-world.com says it is c0 stepping.
Will this cpu work on Supermicro MBD-X10SLM+-LN4F-O motherboard?

thanks,

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
Just bit offtopic note: there is new BIOS for Asus Z10PE-D8 WS, 3407, i had it available pre-release and using it few weeks, no issues noticed with V4 QHVD. Except i had to remove my graphic cards after flashing it, the board was unable to complete POST with them. Probably fixing the Intel ME bug, but not 100% sure.

lbjm

May 29, 2017
Just bit offtopic note: there is new BIOS for Asus Z10PE-D8 WS, 3407, i had it available pre-release and using it few weeks, no issues noticed with V4 QHVD. Except i had to remove my graphic cards after flashing it, the board was unable to complete POST with them. Probably fixing the Intel ME bug, but not 100% sure.
Since you were able to get around that flashing bug
I had that board The Z10PE-D16 (same as the d8 but with more memory slots) it is flaky with ES chip just like the Z9PE-D8 was. When I switch to a Supermicro Z10DAX all my asus ES troubles went away. In the future you might want to try out a supermicro or ASrock dual boards they both handle ES chips much better. Also there's a thread over at OCN if you are looking for a second opinon.

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
Well, i selected it mainly for the design and layout, since i have it in Thermaltake P5 wallmount case, you can see photo here:
ES Xeon Discussion
Now i have two Titan X Pascal in it in SLI (not Xp). That might be the problem.
Except for some sleep issues (it runs 24/7 anyway) and small iKVM module issue (caused by USB device), i have no problems with it and it is totally stable in both W10 and Ubuntu.
And the problems i had might not be caused by ES CPUs, but i was not searching if that is true or not.
If i would have normal case, i would prefer Supermicro, it is also cheaper and i do believe it might be generally better.

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
Anyone experienced with Hypervisors?

Currently run Server 2016 with Hyper-V and ~ 20 VM's on some NVME disks... but my CPU's are getting really hot in a home environment ( 60~66*c) [ 2x E5-2650v3].

Looking to upgrade towards 2x E5-2628L v4 OR 2x E5-2630L v3 + bios unlock for all core turbo. Thinking the v3 unlocked, will get me more performance win than the upgrade towards v4.. but can't find any detailed comparisons on that point at the moment.

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
Other cooler/cooling solution ?
Ha I have the supermicro SNP-48 something I think, with a modded top that adds an extra exhaust 2nd cpu, and one behind to have both cpu1 and 2 run about same temp (default cpu2 would overheat).

Also added 2 200mm fans at the front to get additional air towards the chassis. The cpu placement on X10DRL-i is just non ideal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I had that board and no issues - used it with low power cpus (2630l v4) and 3 HE noctua cooler though - but nothing close to your temps.
But yes the sockets are quite close together, my coolers even touched - i contacted Noctua with pics and it was fine though.
Might still be worth a shot if you have the space...

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
I had that board and no issues - used it with low power cpus (2630l v4) and 3 HE noctua cooler though - but nothing close to your temps.
But yes the sockets are quite close together, my coolers even touched - i contacted Noctua with pics and it was fine though.
Might still be worth a shot if you have the space...
Yeah but that's E5-2630L (low power) + v4 (more efficient) ^^. Hence my debate for swapping my E5-2650v3 for E5-2630L/E5-2650L v3 or going with a E5-2630L v4 .... can't use the turbo unlock on the v4's... but a low power v3 with turbo unlock seems really good.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Low power will be mute if you unlock turbos - L's are not more efficient than non L's but cut down frequency at certain power levels to adhere to more stringent cooling requirements. Yes they run cooler but need longer for the same work

Have you evaluated how much your cpu's actually run ie whats your CPU utilization total at low/avg/peak? If the workload stays the same then the Ls will just take longer with less power - total clock cycles stay the same.
Then it depending on your environmental factors basically (heat dissipation capabilities). - I assume you are not able to dissipate produced heat (high outside temp, closed system) so efficiency (producing less heat) is the key.

In the Xeon chart over in one of the other xeon threads here (or google) there is an efficiency rating (clock/watt) of the cpus and the most efficient one was the 2640v4 (of all v4s) iirc :)

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
Low power will be mute if you unlock turbos - L's are not more efficient than non L's but cut down frequency at certain power levels to adhere to more stringent cooling requirements. Yes they run cooler but need longer for the same work

Have you evaluated how much your cpu's actually run ie whats your CPU utilization total at low/avg/peak? If the workload stays the same then the Ls will just take longer with less power - total clock cycles stay the same.
Then it depending on your environmental factors basically (heat dissipation capabilities). - I assume you are not able to dissipate produced heat (high outside temp, closed system) so efficiency (producing less heat) is the key.

In the Xeon chart over in one of the other xeon threads here (or google) there is an efficiency rating (clock/watt) of the cpus and the most efficient one was the 2640v4 (of all v4s) iirc :)
Yeah I have those stats, but can't get to them... As it seems I bricked/broke my motherboard a few minutes ago >.>. Tried to do the bios tweak but the server will no longer boot. 1 beep, no post / screen - keeps rebooting every 1 second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Hi have been lurking the last couple days, reading through exhaustive! and informative thread. Many thanks to all contributors.

Time to upgrade my aging z9pe-d8ws with 2x ES E5-2665 (b0 8 core Sandy) qa8x, to v3 or v4 and new board. Mostly use it for odd Adobe CC work, but now and then do the odd bit of rendering in Maya, so 16 cores/32 threads at 2.4 all core turbo ain't really cutting it anymore (mostly vray, but yes looking at Arnold, Renderman, Octane etc). Can live with the higher core count lower ghz of 18-22 core xeons. FFMPG in any case pegs all cores at 100% for me transcoding video. At the moment only the one gtx770 4gb, will be adding newer vid card(s). Trying to avoid watercooling gpus to cut down on expenses.

Thinking older system will live out its remaining days gracefully as render node.

Budget somewhat limited, can stretch to RMB/CNY 5500 or so per ES cpu, which rules out v4 QS.

Am considering the ASRock Rack WS board this time after many asus headeaches (ASRock Rack > EP2C612 WS)

or the following supermicro boards...x10drax (downside only 6 pcie) Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DAX

or the beast Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRG-Q

Case? Well have a corsair 900D which is completely packed already with 13hdd and 5ssd and other crap, so looking at ghetto-building a version of the caselabs th10-d out of wood or something. X10DRG-Q is not going to fit in 900D without a lot of dremelling. Also only 10 pcie brackets.

In any case, (sorry pun!), not too worried about the case or ramming in pcie cards, can always change layout to horizontal for mb and use risers. Or 2 separate cases (keep 900d, use ikea ghetto-mod for render node). Budget doesn't run to a new case (say caselabs, or thermaltake wp200, or 2x thermaltake corex9). Budget would be around 2k max 2.5k usd (yes a lot of ebaying taobaoing).

Memory no problem, can find 64gb ecc ddr4 rdimms on taobao for around usd550. Ditto boards, run from 550 for supermicro beast to 350-400 for asrockrack.

ES cpu's tho! Found quite a few near-QS c2 e5-2699 v3's on taobao, cinebench around 41-4300, great step up from my current 1440 score. And guaranteed to work with the asrock board. 'Only' 18 cores tho! For rendering, extremely tempted to go with quite early v4 xeons in a1 etc stepping for around the same price (5700 rmb), e.g. e5-2686 v4, or 2698 v4 same deal. Are even some 2686 v4 very early stepping at even lower prices.

Of course, none of these are guaranteed to work with the asrock rack board, and have absolutely no idea regarding supermicro. Must be better than asus tho!

Here are some links (all Taobao...the ebay prices are just too high)..and no never taobaoed...will have to try directly to avoid 5-10% fee of taobao agents. Ideally looking for something that can at least manage CB14 score of 4000 or so. Not too concerned about Adobe...it just sucks for efficiency, will always suck, and then there's always Resolve (or Nuke, etc). Note this is for home use, still on my student licenses, may they never expire! Well autodesk never seems too :)

正式版现货INEL XEON E5-2696V3 2.3G 18核 36线 同比E5-2699V3

v4 here early stepping
Intel Xeon E5-2699V4 2.1G主频 QS不显22核44线程超E5-2699V3

至强E5-2696 V3 2.3G 18核36线 同比E5-2699 2697 V3 正式版现货

2698 v4...seen same stepping on ebay
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...6dBIG&id=549693679114&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...6dBIG&id=530638470256&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

2695 v4
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...NLuGX&id=540900834560&ns=1&abbucket=18#detail

Ok you get the idea...any thoughts/advice? Sorry for long post...great forum, keep it up!

dunde

Aug 7, 2016
Anyone tried the E5-2630 V4 QK3G with any of the ASUS X99 motherboards including the Deluxe? Some sellers are saying it is not compatible. However that doesn't make sense because it has identical to production R0 stepping even though it is an ES2. Their saying it's compatible with other X99 manufacturers just not ASUS. I'd like to order one or two but don't want it to have incompatibilities with ASUS X99 motherboards.
Asus is normally a no go with ES V4 Xeon. Look for a Asrock instead, works with all ES, QS..