ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Has Anyone here purchased QFQG Xeon 2695 v3? I Was thinking about picking up a pair. Based on an old listing from Bloommax it says:

The item for sale is a genuine Intel Xeon E5-2695 v3 C0 stepping pre qualification sample (pre-QS) processor. It provides the same features, multi-core performance, and hardware compatibility as the production processor SR1XG, but with higher turbo frequencies that are better in single-core or low thread performance.
So it looks like it is as good as QS with maybe a little btter performance than Release. Thoughts? Maybe @Patriot can chime in.

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
Has Anyone here purchased QFQG Xeon 2695 v3? I Was thinking about picking up a pair. Based on an old listing from Bloommax it says:

So it looks like it is as good as QS with maybe a little btter performance than Release. Thoughts? Maybe @Patriot can chime in.
It is identical to a 2695 but with a single core turbo of 3.5 instead of 3.3.

I own one and it is an awesome sleeper CPU, and since it has retail stepping the V3 Xeon hack works. Below is a screenshot of my Cinebench scores. I am thinking of selling it on eBay for 400ish dollars since all Xeons have gone up on price.

Attachments

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
What do you think about this offer for an E5-4660 v3 QS chip on ebay? The seller has some more E5-46xx OS chips to offer and claims the'll work in X99 or C612 boards. Never thought about looking for these parts. Mostly because the v1/v2 parts are overpriced and lack cores and frequency compared to the E5-26xx parts.

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
What do you think about this offer for an E5-4660 v3 QS chip on ebay? The seller has some more E5-46xx OS chips to offer and claims the'll work in X99 or C612 boards. Never thought about looking for these parts. Mostly because the v1/v2 parts are overpriced and lack cores and frequency compared to the E5-26xx parts.
I just have ordered E5 4620 V3 ES1 known as 2650 v3
I can test on ASRock X99 Pro Gaming i7, ASUS X99 Deluxe ii and Strix X99 Gaming if 46xx v3 varients works on them as soon as i get it.
I'll upload the result here.

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017

confirmed working on ASRock X99 Professional Gaming i7

just in case, anyone wonder about firestrike physics score.

got it for 129 bucks on ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand__

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Where did you get it for that price? The link points to an auction priced at 369...

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
There's some information for you guys.
It might not be interesting since most engineering sample's are out of stock and Skylake-x/Kabylake-x are coming up.

QEYY (L0 stepping) / known as 1680 v3 es2 / TDP 140w (base/allcore/1core 3.2/3.4/3.6)
QEYZ (L0 stepping) / known as 1660 v3 es2 / TDP 140w(base/allcore/1core 3.0/3.2/3.4)
Both are multiplier unlocked up to 56x
Someone claimed that overclock doesn't apply for some reason. but according to hwinfo, it is unlocked.
I assume that they used a motherboard which doesn't support those cpu properly.
With some motherboard, turbo boost for es don't work.
Anyway, I haven't gotten those cpus. So I haven't confirmed yet.

QHVJ (L0 stepping) / known as 1660 v4 es1 / TDP 140w (base/allcore/1core 3.1/3.2/3.2)
It's actually 6900k es1. It doesn't support registered ECC at all.
As I've posted earlier. It is overclockable.
multiplier is also unlocked up to 56x

There're some more overclockable xeons. I'll tell you guys later.

Last edited:

RamGuy

Apr 7, 2015
I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm really tempted to go down the Intel Xeon ES route as I want to redo my server. I'm going to make it into a full hypervisor server and create several virtual machines for various tasks. Current I have a mess with a separate server running OPNsense as my router/firewall, a separate one running Fedora for various things like hosting my Mumble Server and even another one running as my storage server..

It's time to merge all of these into one. I'm currently running Windows Server 2016 on my Storage Server featuring 12x HDD's in three separate RAID configurations on a MegaRAID 9265 RAID controller. It's 5x WD RE-4 2TB in RAID5, 5x WD RE-4 4TB on RAID5 and 2x WD RED 4TB in RAID0 (yeah, it's used as a "cache" for downloads that get off-loaded to one of the two other arrays).

I want to move away from Server 2016 and ReFS over to FreeNAS and ZFS. My plan is to make one server running either VMWare ESXi or Windows Hyper-V Server 2016 and have one virtual machine running OPNsense, another running Fedora and one running FreeNAS. I'm not entirely sure how ZFS works on a configuration like this. As long as I don't have the drives formatted on the Hypervisor Server (it being ESXi or Hyper-V) and let the FreeNAS VM take care of it all it shouldn't be a problem? Having ESXi or Hyper-V creating the arrays and formatting the drivers before mounting them into FreeNAS and doing ZFS would be stupid and kill the whole purpose of ZFS.

But this is all me babling. The thing is, I want to move away from my current Intel Xeon E3-1275v3 @ 32GB DDR3 ECC over to something more beefy in order to handle multiple virtual machines. I was thinking about something like a 8-14-core E5 Xeon v3 or v4 depending on the price and what's being available on Ebay in terms of CPU's with decent stepping. I could also grab a Asus Z10PE-D8 and go dual-CPU's.

What CPU's seems to be the sweetspot in terms of price/performance of these Xeon ES on Ebay currently? What sellers can I trust?

jiggad369

Apr 18, 2017
Hey guys,

First time poster here!

I just got my hands on the QH2N that few people bought here.

For those who did, what motherboard are you guys using?

I'm trying to put together a dual-booting server/HTPC/workstation for Windows and MacOS.

This one is the cheapest I can find ($130):

ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1 LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Rest:

CPU: Xeon 2650 v4 ES
Memory: Geil Potenza Evo 16GB 2400
PSU: EVGA G2 550w
SSD: 950 Pro m.2 NVMe 256GB (purchased)
Cooler: Noctua U12S
Graphics Card: EVGA 1050 Ti

Last edited:

jiggad369

Apr 18, 2017
So you recommend swapping the memory for ECC?

What would be a good price bracket for 16gb ECC?

Last edited:

blc

Apr 11, 2017
Is there anything in the "ES market" for HTPC use? I'm about to upgrade my old HTPC (socket 1156, i3-530) to something newer. I was looking for Pentium G4560 but perhaps there is something more interesting ES solutions. I plan not to overlock, and prefer to use iGPU.

Any suggestions?

Edit: After posting I realized this was ES Xeon discussion so the point about iGPU is pretty useless but... well, any non-Xeon ES for HTPC use?

Last edited:

kijun93

Mar 19, 2017
I'm so happy that i won bid Xeon 1660 V3 QS QGSL for $364 which is even cheaper than 6900K ES1.
It's on the way to Korea now, so excited to OC it!

Burb

Apr 27, 2017
Need some support. Purchased a Xeon E5-2698v4 ES CPU a few months ago (QHUZ) and the motherboard a few days ago. The motherboard is Asus Z10PE-D16 WS which is known to work with the engineering samples. (Ebay sellers of the cpus even lists this mobo as compatible)

I've put it all together last night. No error codes and gets in to the bios. But can't get any OS to boot.. Windows 8.1 installer from usb reboots the machine when you see the windows logo. Debian and other Linux distros stops at booting kernel with no additional messages or errors.

The only thing I've had boot is the memtest option on the linux flash drive. Ran it with no errors (using 2x 16GB Samsung ddr4 ecc ram)

Tried updating the bios to the latest revision. Still can't get any OS to boot. Haven't tried downgrading to the first revision to support 2698v4.

I'm guessing this cpu is not compatible and I will have to get another. Not sure about the stepping markings and how close or far from retail QHUZ is.

Any help would be appreciated, and if I have to get a new cpu, what should I look for?

Edit: just tried to flash bios 3204 which is the first one on asus support page to support retail 2698v4 as well as the version sellers put in their description when they mention this motherboard. Still neither linux or windows will boot.

Last edited: