ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Murilo900

Jan 20, 2017
I dunno if that would make a big diference between the 5820k@4.2ghz that I am running right now, I was looking for something with atleast 10 cores, do you know what's the maximum frequency of all cores of that 2667v3? Because if that reach like 3.2ghz I would start to consider picking up one of those.
There is the E5-2667 V3 for example and it should be compatible with both motherboards:

Intel Xeon E5-2667 V3 ES QEYA 8Core 2.9GHz 9.6GT/s 35M Smart Cache Processor CPU | eBay

It's an early engineering sample but it has a high clock speed and turbo mode for a 8 core Xeon. If you consider a 10c or higher processor usually they may have a lower frequency as a trade off for more cores especially for engineering samples.

n-type

Jan 21, 2017
Really impressive results, I searched here and there is hundreds of this cpu on eBay and they are retail ones!
Thanks @Murilo900.

Hundreds might be a bit off the mark. :) FWIW I bought mine from a seller (not ebay) indicating a little under 10,000 available at the time for a price just under $330 including DHL international shipping.

Due to the "Haswell" bug I would think all Haswell CPU's can boost all cores to the maximum boost. Certainly been that way for the Haswell Desktop and mobile CPU's and doesn't seem to be any different for the Xeon either. Some of the mobile CPU's can be unlocked altogether, but that's another story.

The default for the 2683v3 is to run all cores at 25x but with a little user intervention (BIOS mod) it can run all cores at 30x. It should also be noted that AVX2 limiting will have an effect too and running AVX2 will drop some bins off that depending on the number of active cores and core voltage.

From my experience the GTX1080 works best with CPU clocks above 4GHz if looking to squeeze that last bit out of it but obviously it's going to be somewhat dependent on the software being run on it. What is acceptable is very much a personal thing.

However for Cinebench it doesn't make a difference because the boost speed is 2.5Ghz for both V3 and V4 processors with the 2658 V4 QS having a slight edge due to IPC improvements of Broadwell-EP architecture.
If you follow the original link in pesceman3's post the seller's page shows a CBR15 run using the E5-2658 v4 with a score of 1792. It should be obvious that just the 5% BCLK increase on the v3 isn't enough to justify a score of 2151, some 20% higher.

n-type

Jan 21, 2017
The errata has nothing to do with TSX and for obvious reasons isn't listed (think about it).

It doesn't add up and I don't believe that 20% difference.
Ah, now I get you. You refuse to believe the truth and nothing is going to persuade you otherwise. Maybe I should have picked a user name like "heretic" :D

FWIW I think you do a great job on the forum. Shame you don't want to believe but it's okay. :)

Vikas

Jan 11, 2017
Hi All ,

Seeking some help building a lab , focused on virtualization / simulation . (VMWare / KVM) . For the past few weeks , I have been researching on Xeon ES CPUs on ebay and to be honest , I am unable to come to a conclusion on what to buy and from where . I have been looking at Dual E5-2670 Build from Natex , but fear it may get obsolete for me soon .

I am looking for Dual Xeon Processors which have around 12 to 14 Core each and have clock speed of 2.2GHz and higher , my Budget for each processor is upto 400USD .

Could you please recommend me a processor (ES/QS ) and a Ebay vendor (which you had good experience with)

Appreciate your help .

Thanks
Vikas

Jul 6, 2016
Got ripped off by xtrememicro, they promised to reimburse me for return shipping of a physically damaged Xeon (which took a month to arrive), a month later still no refund and they stopped responding.
Do not buy from them. If you did, do not prepay the shipping to send it back. Open a chargeback with your credit card company. If they want the item back, they can have someone to pick it up... Those assholes at xtrememicro....

Vikas

Jan 11, 2017
@Nanotech Thanks Nanotech for the quick response . Any experience with Dual E5 2558 V3 QS on ASUS Z10PE-D16 ?

Or any suggestions on the motherboard to be used for Dual E5 2558 V3 QS ?

Thanks a lot .

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
But the V3 has the possibility to boost all cores to 3.0GHz. If the V4 can do that as well then fair enough.

So what is the secret to have all cores boosted? That is an impressive Cinebench score of true.

n-type

Jan 21, 2017
So what is the secret to have all cores boosted?
Hi @gtz

The sad thing is it really isn't a secret, almost for the last 2 years now. Just never took off, don't know why.

A couple of validated scores that can be checked against.

CPU-Z MT bench validation 21528
Geekbench4 Linux x64 MC bench 34049

I've already upset one person here, for further discussion I would suggest a different forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtz

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
Hi @gtz

The sad thing is it really isn't a secret, almost for the last 2 years now. Just never took off, don't know why.

A couple of validated scores that can be checked against.

CPU-Z MT bench validation 21528
Geekbench4 Linux x64 MC bench 34049

I've already upset one person here, for further discussion I would suggest a different forum.
Trust me I have searched everything on the web and can't find anything on the matter. Changed power limit, voltages, etc. Nothing stuck, the only thing I notice is you are running Windows 7, possible that version of Windows handles turbos differently. I thought of maybe trying beta early BIOS, but seeing you are running on a fairly new released Taichi board doubt that can be it. I believe you, your CPU Z validation link shows it. Especially your multi thread score. A normal 2683 scores 17000-18000. I can't seem to find the PM function or else I would PM.

Other members will believe you is you post how it was done.

Last edited:

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Now I wonder is that works with this particular board only, or not?
And does the board lock it all the time, or multiplied goes down when there's no load.

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
Have you seen this one?
What controls Turbo Core in Xeons?

It's quite a small thread and not so popular so would be easy to miss.
Damn good read, thank you very much for posting. Looks like it should be feasible with my AsRock Extreme 4 with a older microcode and a registry hack to windows 10 (or older windows by removimg a certain update). I am not familiar with updating the microcode on a BIOS however, and have no interest with running an older BIOS with said microcode since they are a little quirky. But once I have free time I will start playing around with.

Thanks again

Last edited:

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
I stand corrected but without that microcode injection it is not possible to lock the turbo boost on all cores to a specific ratio. However microcode updates are usually there for a reason and while that errata may have been present in Haswell processors I can't recall such errata being present in Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, or Broadwell processors. That being said from what I've read it also requires either the old microcode to be modded or no microcode to be present (and the dangers that are associated with that) and then injected either via UEFI or via the OS. While it's an interesting read I don't think that running old microcode is practical. Speaking of errata do you have the specific errata detail or number as presented by Intel in it's Haswell-E/EP specification update?
If you notice, forum member Stilt on Anand tested all CPU microcodes and found one that was the perfect blend of performance and stability. Using one of the microcodes he managed to get an all cores boost of 3.0 instead of 2.3 and 10 core boost of 3.6 (instead of 2 cores) and had many errata fixes. Gaining a 28 percent boost. Problem is I think it will be extremely difficult to get windows 10 to play nice. All cases have been tested with Windows 7 so far.

This is great news for Haswell e Xeons.

Kat

Jun 26, 2016
Got ripped off by xtrememicro, they promised to reimburse me for return shipping of a physically damaged Xeon (which took a month to arrive), a month later still no refund and they stopped responding.
Do not buy from them. If you did, do not prepay the shipping to send it back. Open a chargeback with your credit card company. If they want the item back, they can have someone to pick it up... Those assholes at xtrememicro....
I've sent a CPU back to xtrememicro due to incorrect wattage (they have sent me a 105W instead of 120W CPU so i could not dual boot), i usually buy via express option (its like 20$) and arrives in 3-5days via TNT. They refunded my transaction 3days after the cpu arrived at them. This was in july.

LaurentHU

Sep 13, 2016
If you notice, forum member Stilt on Anand tested all CPU microcodes and found one that was the perfect blend of performance and stability. Using one of the microcodes he managed to get an all cores boost of 3.0 instead of 2.3 and 10 core boost of 3.6 (instead of 2 cores) and had many errata fixes. Gaining a 28 percent boost. Problem is I think it will be extremely difficult to get windows 10 to play nice. All cases have been tested with Windows 7 so far.

This is great news for Haswell e Xeons.
Now that's a really interesting news. It seems fairly difficult to achieve, but very interesting. I suppose you would have to be really careful, and mindful of the TDP though? Because the throttling down happening is meant to keep the CPU within TDP, no?

Another question : would that actually work with dual CPU MBs?

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Now that's a really interesting news. It seems fairly difficult to achieve, but very interesting. I suppose you would have to be really careful, and mindful of the TDP though? Because the throttling down happening is meant to keep the CPU within TDP, no?

Another question : would that actually work with dual CPU MBs?
Sure, that's fairly difficult, but doable. Since using ES in production is "not-so-good" idea, and most of the people use it for personal use or testing, that seems ok to me.
Regarding TDP: I think when you start doing stuff like that, you should install better coolers anyway. Noone will do that in 1U case, I hope? :) I prefer big copper coolers, cause it's more quiet anyway. I'm pretty sure, Noctua D15 will keep CPU cool, even if it run 3.0 at all 14 cores.

ps. It would be really awesome, if someone can inject that for dual-CPU configuration.
pps. I think I'm leaning towards 2683v3 CPUs, instead of 2667v3.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Well I just ordered this a little while ago to replace my dual E5-2670 build and will give all core turbo a try.

Sure, that's fairly difficult, but doable. Since using ES in production is "not-so-good" idea, and most of the people use it for personal use or testing, that seems ok to me.
Regarding TDP: I think when you start doing stuff like that, you should install better coolers anyway. Noone will do that in 1U case, I hope? :) I prefer big copper coolers, cause it's more quiet anyway. I'm pretty sure, Noctua D15 will keep CPU cool, even if it run 3.0 at all 14 cores.

ps. It would be really awesome, if someone can inject that for dual-CPU configuration.
pps. I think I'm leaning towards 2683v3 CPUs, instead of 2667v3.

Reactions: Patrick