ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Beer

Dec 17, 2016
I just got my E5-2630L V3 QS from Taiwan off eBay.. it arrived in pristine condition. It almost looks like it was in its original anti-static bag sealed by Intel. If it was ever used, I can't tell. Order place Dec 27, shipped out Jan 3 (7 day shipping delay had me worried), arrived Jan 7. Surprisingly fast aside from the shipping delay.

Pics Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Any fingerprints are mine, it looked factory new, pictures of anti-static wrapper are after I had opened it.

I still have a few parts on order so I can't test it just yet but so far so good! Seller was qunfa_chiu

One question- Does it matter if I leave the round sticker on under the CPU or should it be taken off?

Reactions: Duplet

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
So, my build is finally complete.
It is a bit offtopic here, but i attached a photo of the finished system.
Here are specs/benchmark:
Asus Z10PE-D8 WS Performance Results - UserBenchmark
Some notes:
System itself does not boot noticeably faster then old system (4470K), meaning from spinning Windows logo to ready desktop time is roughly the same, despite the NVME drive. I have it in UEFI mode. Also starting apps like mail or browser is not much faster.
The NVME drive performs bellow expectations in the benchmark, also in Crystal Disk Mark, reason unknown.
I only tried 3 games so far, but noticed one improvement - in Division, when you change locations, it loads the new location within 2 seconds or so, where on old system this could take up to 15 secs sometimes. If i watch resources on secondary screen, i can see all 32 cores are loaded at roughly 50-60%, which means this game is probably CPU limited and also heavily multithreaded.
In Fallout 4, i have many saves, loading the list of them took up to 2 seconds, now it is instant - that is the drive.
There were no problems with stability or something not working or not installing correctly.
My only problem is coil whine on Titan XP, but that is something which is impossible to solve.
The conclusion is "it can be done", but think twice if you really need such system, i know i probably do not. :)
(for the ones who do not want to search history of this thread - CPUs are 2667 V4 (2.6/2.9-3.2GHz max), where one arrived damaged, but i run tests and benchmarks for 2-3 weeks and found no issues, so i kept it)

Attachments

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
One problem i have however. I just found it now.
When i try to do S3 sleep, the system does not boot on wake up, ending with error E1 (S3 boot script execution) and red CATTERR light.
Hibernation work correctly. Both sleep modes fully power off the system, so it takes around 30 seconds to wake up.
I tried some changes in BIOS, but it is still the same.

brutalizer

Jun 16, 2013
Regarding the E5-2630 v4, which stepping to get? What are the differences between SR2R7 and the SR12R? Which one is best? Can you post a link to a good deal I can buy? There are QHVK samples too. Where can I find info on the different versions?
E5-2630 v4 | eBay

Maybe 2630v4 is not a good deal anymore. Which is a good deal now?

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well one is identical to release, the other not.
Chips all tend to start cheap and then get more expensive when demand increases and that 2,2GHz version was a very good one for that price

241_tuesdays

Jan 10, 2017
I just came across this thread and joined to read about 20 pages of information. Some really great stuff in this forum. Is there any information about the new LGA 3647 socket? I have a Xeon Phi processor that have no compatible hardware on the market other than supermicro's 2 motherboards.

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
I think it might work only if the chipset is not C610 (like X99).
The only memory which worked with even single CPU on Z10PE-D8 WS was Registered ECC.
Unregistered ECC does not work too (that was mistake i done).

Duplet

Jan 3, 2017
Building a 40-Thread Xeon Monster PC for Less Than the Price of a Broadwell-E Core i7

Here is review dual xeon

There are a total of 16 DIMM slots with support for NVDIMM (Non-Volatile Dual In-line Memory Module). Each processor is connected to 8 DIMMs and of course quad-channel memory support exists. Both RDIMM and LRDIMM modules are supported at speeds of DDR4 2133/1866 and 1600.
They use regular DDR4, non ecc or reg.
Really confused at this moment

The ECC memory this board can support is generally meant for servers, where any data corruption is unacceptable. Since this isn't really a concern for most of our readers, we went with standard UDIMM modules from G.Skill, rather than equip the board with ECC memory.

Ideally we wanted to populate every DIMM slot with DDR4-2133 memory so we reached out to our good friends over at G.Skill. Happy to oblige, they served up 16 4GB sticks of Ripjaws V DDR4-2133 memory for a total capacity of 64GB, which will allow both Xeon E5-2630 v4 chips to enjoy quad-channel memory support.

G.Skill sells this memory in 16GB quad-channel memory kits for just $74 each, taking the total cost for this build to just shy of $300. For those wondering, the memory operates at CL 15-15-15-35 timings using 1.2 volts. The modules are available with either red or black heat spreaders and we went with red.

Last edited:

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
Well, i would not expect that to work.
Of course you can try it, if you will have the option to return the RAM if needed, but to me it seems like a wrong thing to do, it is just not meant to work. Just expect there might be a problem.
For me, i went the safe way, because i think 64GB (in my case) is lot of memory, so ECC would be nice.
Also because ECC was not disproportionately more expensive.
I am kind of sorry for commenting, because i built only one system and if more experienced builders say it will work, so it will.

LaurentHU

Sep 13, 2016
I made the mistake of ordering non-buffered (regular) DDR4 for my dual CPU Z10PA-D16 WS rig. Didn't work...

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
Guys, been reading this thread for a while now. Almost completed it. I started reading this thread while i debating if i should go with the ES model or not.
I bumped into this seller on ebay and he was extremely positive that the cpu is not the first engineering sample, and was close to production.
Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 ES QHVK Remarked as SR12R 2.1GHz 10Core 25MB Processor CPU | eBay
He tells me "look at the HWiNFO64 test screenshot,the stepping shows L0.It means it's not old first ES version.
The old ES version is A0-A2.....So please don't worry."

However being wary about the strict non-return policy i didnt pay much heed to his claims.
So is it true that the QHVK is the first engineering sample, and not close to production? And if i need to get one of these it shud be QK3G

Anyone has had great success with any specific seller and model? please post the ebay link.

Looking at their reviews, it does look like a lot of people who brought the cpu say the cpu has been running stable.

I mainly focusing on getting this one. Please stop me if anyone has tried it and isnt good.
Intel Xeon E5 2628L V4 ES QHZC 1.8GHz 12Core 30M 75W LGA2011-3 Processor CPU | eBay

Last edited:

lastangelmd

Dec 21, 2016
Guys, been reading this thread for a while now. Almost completed it. I started reading this thread while i debating if i should go with the ES model or not.
I bumped into this seller on ebay and he was extremely positive that the cpu is not the first engineering sample, and was close to production.
Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 ES QHVK Remarked as SR12R 2.1GHz 10Core 25MB Processor CPU | eBay
He tells me "look at the HWiNFO64 test screenshot,the stepping shows L0.It means it's not old first ES version.
The old ES version is A0-A2.....So please don't worry."

However being wary about the strict non-return policy i didnt pay much heed to his claims.
So is it true that the QHVK is the first engineering sample, and not close to production? And if i need to get one of these it shud be QK3G

Anyone has had great success with any specific seller and model? please post the ebay link.

Looking at their reviews, it does look like a lot of people who brought the cpu say the cpu has been running stable.
I bought 2658 v3 QS chips from the seller and it was good transaction (Current price is 299, but I paid 225 each). I have been reading this thread and decided to go QS or Retail CPU with few more dollars because I don't want to take too much risk (if there is any). QS is more close to production, but I don't think ES is. And it seems that the seller gives you 60 days warranty if it doesn't work.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
I need help. I bought a pair of E5-2698 v4 ES Broadwell-EP's from icomputer_parts_international on ebay. Some people here & elsewhere used with no complaints (and linked/listed their compatibility chart a couple times in this thread.)

These two CPU's simply will not boot on any motherboard or UEFI combo I have tried and I can't figure out why.
All motherboards tried do work (three are recent NIB purchases). I am using a brand new retail i7-5930k. a gtx-980 and a single stick of DDR-4 to flash the bios. (Nothing else installed)

I'm just lost as to what to do next. What am I missing? Thoughts?
Did you get them working ? What was the issue ? QHZD do work nicely for me 24/7.

Socrates

Dec 28, 2016
I bought 2658 v3 QS chips from the seller and it was good transaction (Current price is 299, but I paid 225 each). I have been reading this thread and decided to go QS or Retail CPU with few more dollars because I don't want to take too much risk (if there is any). QS is more close to production, but I don't think ES is. And it seems that the seller gives you 60 days warranty if it doesn't work.
Thanks for your replies. I agree the QS is a better option to go with.
So how long have u been using this CPU, did u face any issues as of yet?
I might go with this one as well. I would rather go with the choice thats tried and tested that by making my own choice and then regretting the fall out.
Planning on getting two, for my dual mother board.
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRH-CLN4

Have you checked the idle power consumption? Is it too bad as its considered with most E5 cpu's?