ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
Intel Xeon E5-2658 v4 QS 2.3GHz LGA2011-3 14C Compatible with X99 i7-6850K 6900K | eBay

Has anyone tested one of these?

QS
1792cb score.
2.3ghz- 2.8ghz turbo.

Would this chip outperform the 2683 V3 OEM? Single core boost is poor, especially compared to the likes of the 2686 V3( Dam i wish those chips were still around!), however, the higher clock speed 2.3ghz vs the 2ghz of the 2683 & 2686 should help multicore performance.
Both CPUs are very similar, all core turbo on both is 2.5 (I would ignore the 2.0 and 2.3 values) . Cinebench score on the V4 is around 80-100 points more due to the architectural improvements of broadwell since again both turbo at the same all core turbo.

Single core performance on the other hand the V3 sligtly edges it since its 2 core turbo is 3.0 as opposed to 2.8 on the V4. In my testing between V3 and V4 I found out clock for clock a V3 Xeon clock at 2.6 is equal to a 2.5 V4 (100mhz give or take).

However V4 CPUs handle AVX a lot better than V3 and do not downclock as bad as the V3.

Question for you, will this CPU be paired with an X99 motherboard or server board?

V3 CPUs overclock better than the V4 variants. The busses are a lot stable on Haswell than they are on broadwell. On the V4 CPU I tested I could not get higher than 102 on the BCLK, both Haswell chips I had can do 105 easily.

I currently have my main rig with a 2683 QS tweaked and stable and get a Cinebench score of 1820 (love the multicore performance). But it is also real good for gaming as well, tested against my old 5820K overclocked to 4.4 I only got a 10 -15FPS hit in worst case scenario and around 5 or less in great threaded games.

Out of the 2 I would personally choose the the V3 OEM do the price, however if I was going to pair it with a server board and do heavy AVX workloads I would choose the V4.

Last edited:
Reactions: neo1

Beer

Dec 17, 2016
Can anyone comment on the motherboard compatibility of QS chips over ES (E5 v3). I'm looking at an ebay listing of a QS chip that I'm really interested in.. but I don't have the motherboard/RAM ordered yet and I have no clue what compatibility is like versus ES chips. I've been googling for an hour and not turning up much info.

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
Can anyone comment on the motherboard compatibility of QS chips over ES (E5 v3). I'm looking at an ebay listing of a QS chip that I'm really interested in.. but I don't have the motherboard/RAM ordered yet and I have no clue what compatibility is like versus ES chips. I've been googling for an hour and not turning up much info.
The general consensus is for X99 AsRock has great compatibility with ES chips.

Reactions: BigDaddy

Beer

Dec 17, 2016
The general consensus is for X99 AsRock has great compatibility with ES chips.
I'm specifically asking about QS, not ES. I'd most likely be looking at a Supermicro board for ECC support unless that is supported on Asrock's x99s.. haven't looked much at consumer boards at all.

dunde

Aug 7, 2016
My vote also leans towards Asrock. Has a 2630V4 (ES) running on X99 extreme6 and it runs flawlessly. Just check bios revision before buying, I had to flash bios chip in standalone programmer.

Reactions: BigDaddy

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
I'm specifically asking about QS, not ES. I'd most likely be looking at a Supermicro board for ECC support unless that is supported on Asrock's x99s.. haven't looked much at consumer boards at all.
I am sorry I misread, true QS chips will work with any board that support 2011v3 Xeons. 99% of all QS chips have the same steppings as retail/OEM chips and all features are present.

dunde

Aug 7, 2016
Then you have to more specific yourself. Which CPU? I suggest you check out this thread, many questions like this have been answered before.

neo1

Oct 6, 2016
Both CPUs are very similar, all core turbo on both is 2.5 (I would ignore the 2.0 and 2.3 values) . Cinebench score on the V4 is around 80-100 points more due to the architectural improvements of broadwell since again both turbo at the same all core turbo.

Single core performance on the other hand the V3 sligtly edges it since its 2 core turbo is 3.0 as opposed to 2.8 on the V4. In my testing between V3 and V4 I found out clock for clock a V3 Xeon clock at 2.6 is equal to a 2.5 V4 (100mhz give or take).

However V4 CPUs handle AVX a lot better than V3 and do not downclock as bad as the V3.

Question for you, will this CPU be paired with an X99 motherboard or server board?

V3 CPUs overclock better than the V4 variants. The busses are a lot stable on Haswell than they are on broadwell. On the V4 CPU I tested I could not get higher than 102 on the BCLK, both Haswell chips I had can do 105 easily.

I currently have my main rig with a 2683 QS tweaked and stable and get a Cinebench score of 1820 (love the multicore performance). But it is also real good for gaming as well, tested against my old 5820K overclocked to 4.4 I only got a 10 -15FPS hit in worst case scenario and around 5 or less in great threaded games.

Out of the 2 I would personally choose the the V3 OEM do the price, however if I was going to pair it with a server board and do heavy AVX workloads I would choose the V4.
I've got an X99 board. My rig will be solely for C++ computations on real-time streaming data.

I have been hanging out for the 2686 QS chips to come back, I originally bought one for 400USD and the seller turned around and said he listed too many and couldn't sell it!

The Cinebench score of 1820, is that will you overlocking the BCLK?

I guess the other advantage of the V4 chips is the larger memory bandwidth/ supported DDR4-2400 vs 2133

RiseOfTH

Dec 19, 2016
Hello all,

I am having problem with 2 Xeon 2680 V4 ES QHV7 to boot with Asus Z10PE-d16 (not WS),. They does not boot together, but individually works fine. Memory is two 32 DDR4 RAM (A1 and E1 positions) and Corsair AX750 watt is the PSU. I have tested all possible solutions as I discussed here: Asus z10pe-d16 motherboard with two Xeon E5-2680 V4 does not boot - Motherboards

Somebody here are saying ASUS motherboards are picky. What does that mean? I bought two QHV7 from different sellers in 6 months difference.

I did an RMA with ASUS, it did not change anything. I am not sure what ASUS did, since it was in "Repair In Progress" and then shipped with no paper with explanation. Somebody had similar RMA with "chip update" (I am not sure what it is), then the MoBo worked with two Xeon 2699V4 ES Z10PED8-WS board Will Not Power On With Two 2683 v4 ES2 CPUs installed?!?!‎ - [Solved] - CPUs

Have anybody tried V4 ES processors on Supermicro X10Dai? Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DAi

Does ES processor have any problems with dual socket booting?

Thanks,

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
I would suggest returning the board, if it is possible and getting proven Z10PE-D8 WS.
That one is working with QHVD (ES2), so your CPUs might work. But for V4, it probably needs to be v1.04, so get new one.
Unless you need the insane amount of DIMM slots.
There is also Z10PA-D8, which not much people know:
ASUS Global
That one is ATX (!) and my QHVD were tested on it by my seller.

hardwarehacKING

Dec 21, 2016
Schweiz
Hey Guys I have read a lot of this Forum but I wasn't really able to figure out how to see if a ES Xeon will work for Virtualisation (VT-x) and PCIE-Passtorug (VT-d). I'm planning to run VMWARE ESXi. I have the following Supermicro motherboard: x10drh-it The CPU's I'm eyeballing at are : Intel Xeon E5 2667 V4 ES QHVD SR2P5 8Core 2.9GHz Similar to 2680v2 Processor CPU | eBay i get it right that the L0 stepping is the "worst" Version ? for E5 v4's ? Which seller is recommended at the moment ?Thank's a lot guys looking forward to hearing from you ;)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
On the CPU-Z screenshot you see VT-X as a capability of this particular CPU. Not sure re VT-d but I assume nobody can guarantee you this will work unless they have the same CPU and tested it;)

animaliaparadoxa

Dec 16, 2016
Hey Guys I have read a lot of this Forum but I wasn't really able to figure out how to see if a ES Xeon will work for Virtualisation (VT-x) and PCIE-Passtorug (VT-d). I'm planning to run VMWARE ESXi. I have the following Supermicro motherboard: x10drh-it The CPU's I'm eyeballing at are : Intel Xeon E5 2667 V4 ES QHVD SR2P5 8Core 2.9GHz Similar to 2680v2 Processor CPU | eBay i get it right that the L0 stepping is the "worst" Version ? for E5 v4's ? Which seller is recommended at the moment ?Thank's a lot guys looking forward to hearing from you ;)
I just received a pair of QHVDs and they're going in my x10dri. Unfortunately I haven't yet received my memory. I can test out passthrough when I get my RDIMMs this weekend (hopefully.)

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
I see L0 in HWinfo Stepping, but QHVD(ES2) in SSPEC/QDF on my "2667".
That is confusing.
All i can tell is VMWare Player is working and that is all i need.

Leonardo2400

Dec 22, 2016
Hey all sorry for bothering you :p
What do you think of this CPU pair: Lot of 2!! Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 ES QHVK Remarked as SR12R 2.1GHz Processor CPU | eBay
Ist would be awesome if you could help me out with my questions again:

1) The seller says “Remarked as SR12R”
If I google SR12R I get the page SR12R (Intel Core i7-3689Y)
Which says Features : Virtualization technology (VT-d), Virtualization technology (VT-x) do they apply to the linked CPU's ?
And what does rebranded exactly mean ? (The typos are on the page too ;)
2) I contacted the seller to check if the Motherboard (X10DRH-iT) works and he assured me it would
4) Is higher stepping better ? (the closer to the END "XYZ" of the Alphabet is better ?)
3) does anyone have experience with this seller ?

Thank’s in advance !

RiseOfTH

Dec 19, 2016
I would suggest returning the board, if it is possible and getting proven Z10PE-D8 WS.
That one is working with QHVD (ES2), so your CPUs might work. But for V4, it probably needs to be v1.04, so get new one.
Unless you need the insane amount of DIMM slots.
There is also Z10PA-D8, which not much people know:
ASUS Global
That one is ATX (!) and my QHVD were tested on it by my seller.
Thanks for reply.

I have already done an RMA from ASUS and tested with two different Xeon E5-2628L V4 ES QHV8 processors, still no booting or beep. Earlier, it did not work with two Intel Xeon E5 2680 V4 ES QHV7.

Seller of the processors E5-2628L V4 ES confirmed that they worked together with ASUS Z10PA-D8 WS and Supermicro X10DAi.

Therefore, I believe ASUS motherboard is STILL faulty. ASUS may not have tested enough (for example, with two V4 processors together) before sending back to me.

I am buying another Supermicro X10DAi for an another test.

Tests that I did:
1. Each processor in CPU1 socket with 32 GB DDR4 ram in slot A1--worked. So, CPUs are OK.
2. Each processor in CPU1 socket with two 32 GB DDR4 ram in slot A1 and A2--worked, Switching slots for RAM works. So, RAMs are OK.
3. Tested with two EPS 12V connector together or different single EPS connector. PSU is Corsair AX750W. Even I tested with another PSU PC-Power 950Watt, one CPU works. Therefore, PSU is OK.
4. I updated BIOS to latest one 3209, it did not help
5. I tested the motherboard outside of the ATX for any short-circuit, it works with each single CPU and each EPS connector.

It is very strange that ASUS did not test with two V4 CPUs before sending after repair.

Last edited:

Jointer

Oct 27, 2016
But since this was seen before on similar boards, i think it is problem of the board.
You probably found on the web that the Z10PE-D8 had problems in the past with V4 CPUs (ES, retail) and i think also 22-core CPUs (not sure if ES only or not).
Good luck.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
This is the post about timing and buying Xeon V4 ESs chips... Is Intel continuously making Xeon V4 ESs so I can wait for a year and get some newest V4 monster - or otherwise - now is the time to buy, stock them (for e.g. secondary work station) while they are still available on ebay??

I have noticed new ES V4 Xeon stepping B0. Does anyone know what are the differences between A0 and B1 stepping? Shall there be B3, and so on?

Last edited:

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Without going through 53 pages could someone kindly tell me what v4 chips are worth going for. Running duals on Desktop.