ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
I'm waiting for Skylake-E V5 Xeons :) Usually they increase core count on certain models, for example 2630 V3 had 8 cores and 2630 V4 has 10. Would be awesome if the V5 will have 12 cores, who knows. Maybe it's due to the die shrink. Wouldn't it be awesome if Skylake-E would allow proper BCLK OC with Xeons also?

Bugaria_M

Nov 6, 2016
Hi guys

Any usefull info about Xeon E5-2666 v3?
Apart from this
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-2666 v3.html

As I know is a custop build CPU specially by Amazon demand
Something similar in performance to the E5-2667 v3 or E5-2687W

Is there any chance that it will work correctly on ordinary consumer X99 motherboards?

I do not quite understand the situation with the presence of Hyper-Threading ?
The link above indicated the presence of HT support but there is the same at the bottom of the comments written that there is no HT support (or it is not working as it should)
I.e. 10 cores / 10 threads

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Hi guys

Any usefull info about Xeon E5-2666 v3?
Apart from this
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-2666 v3.html

As I know is a custop build CPU specially by Amazon demand
Something similar in performance to the E5-2667 v3 or E5-2687W

Is there any chance that it will work correctly on ordinary consumer X99 motherboards?

I do not quite understand the situation with the presence of Hyper-Threading ?
The link above indicated the presence of HT support but there is the same at the bottom of the comments written that there is no HT support (or it is not working as it should)
I.e. 10 cores / 10 threads
It should work, I recommend Asrock/MSI motherboards for best support and reliability. The early samples of 2666 v3 do not support HTT (W/O HTT there will be a 10-15% performance hit, depending if the application can utilize HT. Seems that the HTT is greyed out, so it is permanently disabled from the chip.

Reactions: Bugaria_M

William

May 7, 2015
William OEM's will not use ES chips on production systems but partners and OEM's use QS (which are an ES) for validation, testing, overclocking, etc... for their internal usage.
Well by thrown out I mean they have them recycled. That's what my friend is, a recycler and he buys these in bulk.

Why do you think the marker will dry up soon?
When CPU's go release they stop making ES chips. The ones you see for sale on eBay and what not have been around for a while, China etc usually have lots of pieces tho. QS chips are sought after because they are as close to retail as you can get and generally go for higher prices, given enough time the prices go down tho.

It was not long ago I ID'd 1,500 pieces at one time, bulk sale for a server farm that was being replaced with retail chips. Lots of v4's in that mix. But that's going to dry up from the sources. Doesn't mean that people who purchased large amounts will not have any, they get them from all over the place. But still, its dries up and they become harder to get.

Bugaria_M

Nov 6, 2016
It should work, I recommend Asrock/MSI motherboards for best support and reliability. The early samples of 2666 v3 do not support HTT (W/O HTT there will be a 10-15% performance hit, depending if the application can utilize HT. Seems that the HTT is greyed out, so it is permanently disabled from the chip.
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking about Gigabyte X99p-SLI - this card from the second wave x99 MoBo
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 2011-3 - GA-X99P-SLI (rev. 1.0)

Mostly I like it because of native support Thunderbolt #3 and ofcourse it's price.

I'll will try ask the sellers on ebay about Gigabyte MoBo and E5-2666v3 ES (M0 Stepping), see what they say

If chances that it will work are low
I'm also consider:

MSI X99A Raider - because the price

MSI X99A SLI Krait - because I like the way done VMR (similar to more expensive models Mpower and Xpower) using Hi-C caps.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Thanks for the link. I see you got it for a good deal and there was little currency conversion involved (unlike our Canadian dollar).

I'd like to point out that the E5-2630 V4 ES QK3G has identical clock speeds and turbo boost speeds as the production processor. The stepping is also the same R0 unlike the ES1 which is 2.1Ghz and has lower boost speeds. It's identical to the production processor including frequency (base,boost).

I'm conflicted right now myself about the QK3G or going the route of the E5-2683 V3 for my Gigabyte X99 motherboard. I missed a few deals because I didn't get around to placing an order yet (including deals for the E5-2686 V3 QS which is a 18c/36t processor).
No worries :)
Anyway, the 2630 V4 is a great deal at this price and thanks for confirming me the frequency.
Maybe the 2658V4 QS might be even a better deal.
Intel Xeon E5 2658 V4 QS QK9A 2.3GHz 14Core 28T 105W 35M Processor CPU | eBay

Well by thrown out I mean they have them recycled. That's what my friend is, a recycler and he buys these in bulk.

When CPU's go release they stop making ES chips. The ones you see for sale on eBay and what not have been around for a while, China etc usually have lots of pieces tho. QS chips are sought after because they are as close to retail as you can get and generally go for higher prices, given enough time the prices go down tho.

It was not long ago I ID'd 1,500 pieces at one time, bulk sale for a server farm that was being replaced with retail chips. Lots of v4's in that mix. But that's going to dry up from the sources. Doesn't mean that people who purchased large amounts will not have any, they get them from all over the place. But still, its dries up and they become harder to get.
Yeah, but as I said, that's because BW-E is out there since a while now.
BTW, it is really sweet the 1500 socket you have seen :-D
I've worked for HPE for a while and AFAIK OMEs get every time ES for everything but once the job is done either they destroy them or they return them to Intel/AMD.
Right before the separation, about a year ago, I've missed for a few hours a very big package (actually a king of half a truck) that former colleagues send to the incinerator with more than a decade of Intel and AMD ESs :-(
Kind of very sad day :-D

William

May 7, 2015
Out of those 1500 V3/V4 processors how many were V4 and actually ES2/QS would you say? I am hoping it doesn't dry up by the time I get a chance to purchase a pair of V4 or V3 processors.
There was no ES2/QS and a good mix of v3's and v4's, some did not work at all as they were very early steppings.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
There was no ES2/QS and a good mix of v3's and v4's, some did not work at all as they were very early steppings.
Sorry to ask, what was the purpose of running early ES in a DC?
Apart from either testing or R&D, or HW QA/QE I cannot see any other possible usage in a datacenter :)

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Perhaps they were interested in the TDP savings of a V4 Xeon over what a V3 Haswell-EP Xeon offered. Or they perhaps wanted better performance that an ES could offer if Broadwell-EP was unreleased at that time. I think it's to do with being an early-adopter. From what I understand data centers are primarily interested in better performance per watt and TDP savings especially in a farm scenario.
Very interesting, I'm now since a few years working in early adopt areas but on the software side.
I've never thought it could even happen with the hardware (especially due to the errata), but I just guess it might be possible and reasonable either if there is a strong business case or about the total business that operation will generate (exactly in my world)

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
I discovered something weird with the MSI X99A/S SLI PLUS motherboard today. The newest X99A/S BIOS (Both are identical, A has USB 3.1. and S doesn't) doesn't work with early ES samples. The X99S SLI PLUS refused to post anything with the latest BIOS on my 2690 V4 ES (Early sample). The 2630 V4 (remarked ES) posted fine? When I got to the BIOS, it had the latest one installed (1.D). Downgraded to 1.C and then it worked with my 2690 V4 when I changed to it. My 2667 V4 (early ES too) system has the X99A SLI PLUS with the 1.C BIOS too, and works fine.

Just some info for you guys if you have a MSI X99S/A motherboard. I don't know if this is a problem with their other motherboards..

merxxdc

Nov 13, 2016
Hi all,

great discussion. I just bought this :

Intel Xeon E5 2660 V4 ES QHZF 2.0GHz 14Core 28T 120W 35M LGA2011-3 Processor CPU | eBay

But when I go to intel website and enter 14core 120w tdp i only get 2680v4 and not 2660v4... Is it normal for the tdp to change or did the seller just assume for some reason it is an 2660v4 es chip.

Anyway, I was just impressed with the 1800 cineR15 score and 3.1ghz single core speed so I bought it.

Many of the suggestions, here, I thought, they are good value, but, still, they don't make much sense compared to what I bought ?

I don't know what's the turbo speed but I hope 2.5ghz+ , 2.7ghz would be nice .

I plan to get the asrock x99-e4

Anyone else got the QHZF 2.00 chip ? What do you think about it ?

Aziz

Nov 15, 2016
Im new here and im thinking of getting two of this one,
Can you guys please tell me what do you think its a xeon E5-2695v3 ES
Also any idea of the R2?

Attachments

5mall5nail5

Nov 16, 2015
Hi guys - I have an EVGA X99 Classified board w/ 128GB of PC4 ECC RAM and just need a CPU to build as a spare host. Thinking of an ES chip. What would you guys recommend? I'd like 8c+/16t+ or more, and not outrageously expensive, but I'd also like it to work. You guys are deep into steppings and release versions that I haven't been following.

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
Hello!

So i finally completed this build :)
Now i would like to overclock it just a bit (basically i would like to get a maximum frequency with stock voltages). I have already tried to increase a BLCK frequenct to 105 and 104, but it just does not start with these settings and i had to clear cmos to be able to boot. I am sure that i am doing something wrong because i do not have any experience overclocking xeons. Could you help me out here?

BTW, regarding my CPU, i would like to know what ES i have (early sample or not, etc.).

Appreciate your assistance!

Here is the screenshot: Screenshot
I have the same motherboard with a 2683V3 Xeon with a BCLK of 104.5 completely stable. I can go as high as 107 (not stable of course). Maybe since yours is an early ES it might be pickier with all the buses.

Hi all,

great discussion. I just bought this :

Intel Xeon E5 2660 V4 ES QHZF 2.0GHz 14Core 28T 120W 35M LGA2011-3 Processor CPU | eBay

But when I go to intel website and enter 14core 120w tdp i only get 2680v4 and not 2660v4... Is it normal for the tdp to change or did the seller just assume for some reason it is an 2660v4 es chip.

Anyway, I was just impressed with the 1800 cineR15 score and 3.1ghz single core speed so I bought it.

Many of the suggestions, here, I thought, they are good value, but, still, they don't make much sense compared to what I bought ?

I don't know what's the turbo speed but I hope 2.5ghz+ , 2.7ghz would be nice .

I plan to get the asrock x99-e4

Anyone else got the QHZF 2.00 chip ? What do you think about it ?
I believe an all core turbo would be 2.3-2.5.

William

May 7, 2015
Hi guys - I have an EVGA X99 Classified board w/ 128GB of PC4 ECC RAM and just need a CPU to build as a spare host. Thinking of an ES chip. What would you guys recommend? I'd like 8c+/16t+ or more, and not outrageously expensive, but I'd also like it to work. You guys are deep into steppings and release versions that I haven't been following.
I haven't used a EVGA board in a long time, I do not know how well they treat BIOS's. Something tells me to try and get QS only ES chips.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
AFAIK you cannot use ECC Memory with X99.
X99 Classified 18-core Xeon CPU and ECC RAM Compatibility - EVGA Forums

Last time I've used EVGA was with X58 (so ages ago) and either early Westemere Xeons and retail Xeon worked very well.
In the PC enthusiast market, EVGA is (was?) the top, so I would expect a decent compatibility :)

Toysrme

Aug 16, 2016
Selling my two E5-2698v4 's on ebay.
Once I settled on the Asus Z10PE-D16 WS I had no issues for months.

I think I'm going to replace them with a pair of v4 2667 / 2687w and pick-up some clock rate. Maybe build a second system if that works out well.