ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kalistoval

Sep 11, 2016
I think it should be stickied somewhere that the x99 Msi Raider ships with the oldest bios only supporting haswell v3. It works very well and just needs a bios update to p.4 and above to work with broadwell es v4's.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
I guess this is what those guys do, 'cause from what i saw, they did not solder anything in my Krait Edition.

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
You need a v3 to update the bios I had this problem 2 weeks ago I have the 2683 v4 on a x99 raider.
If you are near the houston texas area I could lend you a hand I have a Xeon v3 haswell.
Just noticed that your CPU does have a B0 revision as stated in the CPU-Z, whereas mine just has an empty field. Also, in the "specification" field there is a small difference: yours have the "R" sign and mine is just "?". Do you think this might cause the incompatibility of this CPU even with the Raider motherboard with P.4 bios?

Kalistoval

Sep 11, 2016
Just noticed that your CPU does have a B0 revision as stated in the CPU-Z, whereas mine just has an empty field. Also, in the "specification" field there is a small difference: yours have the "R" sign and mine is just "?". Do you think this might cause the incompatibility of this CPU even with the Raider motherboard with P.4 bios?

I havnt taken a look yet, I updated all my software e.g cpuz, hwinfo 64 and aida64. Before I would get inconsistencies in my readings up until I updated the software its possible that your software is dated.

Reactions: emperator

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
I havnt taken a look yet, I updated all my software e.g cpuz, hwinfo 64 and aida64. Before I would get inconsistencies in my readings up until I updated the software its possible that your software is dated.
Ok, so i got myself a nice little x99a raider. As expected, the system did not boot out of the box. I will try to update the bios tomorrow to the P.4 version and hopefully this is going to work!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So i got the 2x 2695v3 es referenced earlier today but have a weird issue - the board I am trying to use them in will not power on.
Basic power is there (fans & ipmi working), but neither power on via power button nor IPMI control actually works.

Now the board is a used one as well (Supermicro X10DRi-T4+), and i have not been able to test it before.
It has Bios 2.0 so should work even with a v4 (my X10SRi does).

So is that a common behavior for (ES) CPU issues? Is that the "System will not boot" issue as described for the X99 boards?

Or is there another issue more likely?

William

May 7, 2015
Whats the stepping on the CPU's if you can tell ?

Sounds like they are early ES chips.

William

May 7, 2015
I think that is your problem here. Usually they are something like A0 - very early, B0 and C0. Best to get C's if you can as they are what release processors are based on.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think that is your problem here. Usually they are something like A0 - very early, B0 and C0. Best to get C's if you can as they are what release processors are based on.
Ok, i dont get that :confused:
I got a later stepping (2) which is one of 2 pre-QS ones. Not really the latest but definitely not very early.

Edit:
Does anyone have a pre 2.0 Bios for a X10DRi-T4+ ? Or an idea where to find old bioses on SM website?
Edit2: Found an old one for BIOS X10DRC-LN4+ - according to this supermicro site it should be a fitting correct one.

Last edited:

mouse

Mar 3, 2016
these are sceenshots of a Xeon sold as E5-2630L V4 1.7 GHZ ES2
its not exact like the prod. 2630L v4 (1,8GHZ),
the author of HWinfo told me this is an intermediate ES without a official name.
So it's safe to buy? Thanks!

SUN75

Sep 18, 2016
I have a question ... how to configure BIOS settings to use Turbo Boost ??? I mean that my turbo speed need to be 2.5 GHz, but actually is 2.3 GHz ;-(.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Got the 2690 V4 @ 2,4ghz for 515€. Works like a charm, all core boost is 3,0ghz. Could somebody explain that why didn't Intel sell this chip as a 3ghz/(3,2ghz all core turbo on retail 2690 V4)? I mean if it has a higher all core turbo than the stock frequency, why sell it as a underclocked version? I know, that if you have crap cooling and hitting the temp limits, you may run the CPU only at stock frequencies..

Also, I disabled HT because GTA V doesn't seem to support high core count CPU's with hyperthreading..
Error "ERR_SYS_THREAD" :: Grand Theft Auto V Yleiset keskustelut

L0 stepping, is this bad?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So still having issues with my X10DRi-T4+ && ES CPUs :(
I have now tested an 2630Lv4 ES (stepping 0) on the board, same issue, CPU not detected.
I have installed one of the 2695v3's in my other board (X10SRI), working flawlessly.

Both boards have Bios 2.0, don't have the Bios flash key on the T4 (yet).
I guess I better open a new thread for my particular issues.

Kalistoval

Sep 11, 2016
Got the 2690 V4 @ 2,4ghz for 515€. Works like a charm, all core boost is 3,0ghz. Could somebody explain that why didn't Intel sell this chip as a 3ghz/(3,2ghz all core turbo on retail 2690 V4)? I mean if it has a higher all core turbo than the stock frequency, why sell it as a underclocked version? I know, that if you have crap cooling and hitting the temp limits, you may run the CPU only at stock frequencies..

Also, I disabled HT because GTA V doesn't seem to support high core count CPU's with hyperthreading..
Error "ERR_SYS_THREAD" :: Grand Theft Auto V Yleiset keskustelut

L0 stepping, is this bad?
I figured the GTA V last week
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "GTAVLauncher.exe" /high /affinity FFFFF "C:\Program Files\Grand Theft Auto V\GTAVLauncher.exe"

Every F is 4 cores apparently I can only use 20 core for GTA V. Its a constant 60fps 1080x1920 Ultra everything maxed out with x4 msaa

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
I figured the GTA V last week
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C START "GTAVLauncher.exe" /high /affinity FFFFF "C:\Program Files\Grand Theft Auto V\GTAVLauncher.exe"

Every F is 4 cores apparently I can only use 20 core for GTA V. Its a constant 60fps 1080x1920 Ultra everything maxed out with x4 msaa
So what do I write if I have the game on the D: drive (Steam games are there) and do the F's count as physical cores, or virtual cores (Threads?)