ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

light

Oct 11, 2016
But getting back to my question, does anyone know what type of cooler the E5-2689 v4 needs? It shows on cpuworld that it has a 55C working temp and that is very low when you compare to e5-2687W. Also, does anyone have a good explanation of the CPU features for the ASUS Z10PE-W16 motherboard? The manual and settings explanation is the worst ever. I notice the fan RPMs are very low and I don't seem to have anyway to change them with CPU FAN RPM only 600-800.

I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a more powerful cooler or whether or whether or not it could be something else either with the heatsink paste/sealing, FAN RPM speeds, or bios settings. Update running NH-U9DXi4 cooler.

Update: I discovered that at least part of the reason the reporting was a little lower was because I left the bus speed set to auto which appears to set the bus speed a little underclocked-- when changed to manual then my reported average boost clock is almost correct. So we had a few issues going on.. with Corona, the max turbo is limited to 3.2 and on the other test the reporting was a bit lower due to the "auto" setting on bus speed. Still, I'm getting reported Turbo or actual speed .1 off. So not sure but I guess it is close.

If anyone has 2689 v4 and wants to share temps/specs would be good so I know if my temps are in line or not.

Last edited:

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
E5-2689 v4 is 165W CPU. That's probably max power from stock CPU from Intel.
My opinion is that you should but the biggest cooler you can install, even for lower CPUs with 135W aor 105W.

First of all it will keep CPU cooler. Bigger fans are more quiet. And they will be spinning slower which is again: more quiet.

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
a 1 year socket... I stand by my statement lol.
I too am rather disappointed by the life cycle. I got a great deal on a Lenovo TD340 with an E5-2407 v2 with the hope of replacing the processor in a year or two when the prices dropped on the higher end units. I ended up picking up a second E5-2407 v2 for cheap at least.

I'd really like to get 2 x 2450L V2s. I tried 2 ES models ( can't remember if they were 2430s or 2450s, but neither worked. Suggestions for some steppings that might?). I've seen 2450L V1's go for rather cheap, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Maybe next year when the processor is 3 years old I'll find what I'm looking for.

As it stands my ancient 2 x L5630 machine performs similarly to the 2 x 2407 v2 and the CPU's use less power. I've considered picking up 2 x L5640s since they are so cheap, but I'm not sure the extra cores would help much. The downside is the mobo has onboard SATAII and PCIe 2. At least with my SM X8DTH-6F I get 8 x 8x PCIe lanes to somewhat balance this out.

neo1

Oct 6, 2016
Mistertao is taking 8% commission.
By the way , xtrememicro refunded my order on the xeon e5 2686v3 qs and told me they have oversold, did it happened to you too?
Yeah same with mine. Gutted.

Great for PayPal, they manage to take their fees and scalp 2 x on the FX conversion.

Jul 6, 2016
So far my ultra-cheap V4 ES is working. It has Vt-D and it is working. I passed through, and am using Perc310/LSI HBA just fine, also passed thruiogh intel 10G nic but that has issues w/esxi (common). For <$130 for 12 cores I'm not complaining.
What was the issue you had with esxi?

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Hi guys,

Hope you could help me out here. So i got this Xeon E5-2683 v4 ES on ebay right here: https://goo.gl/FYVAxc

I have already tried it on 2 Mobos:

MSI X99A Tomahawk (stock bios)

and

X99A SLI Krait Edition (tried bios N.7 and the latest one N.8)

And i did not manage to boot it up. All i get is a blank screen.

I am planning on trying the X99A Raider next, however i would like to really make sure the thing will boot 'cause i am really tired with finding different mobos all the time :-D

I have attached a photo of my CPU and also the testing screenshot (it is supposed to be the screenshot of this very CPU being tested by the seller.)

I really don't have much experience with these ES CPUs, but i would really want to get this bad boy going! From what i understood i got one with the A1 revision: E5 2683 V4 QHZE ES Remarked as SR2JT

I would very much appreciate your advice on the Mobo that could run this CPU.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well to be really sure you should use a Z10Pa-D8 - that's what the seller used;)

But to be serious - its weird that its not working.

The Stepping afterwards (QS) seems to run on X99, the previous one es well.

But I am not sure what the effect of an incompatibility would be ... maybe one of the more seasoned users can comment on that:)

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that is what i figured, however it does not work at all :-(

I am almost sure that X99A Raider would work, however i want to know for sure before i give it a try. Z10Pa-D8 i know, i think this would be my last try when everything else fails to work :) However, i would rather buy something on x99 rather than server stuff

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Just sent the message today. I initially thought that this is the full list of compatible products...

Kalistoval

Sep 11, 2016
Hi guys,

Hope you could help me out here. So i got this Xeon E5-2683 v4 ES on ebay right here: https://goo.gl/FYVAxc

I have already tried it on 2 Mobos:

MSI X99A Tomahawk (stock bios)

and

X99A SLI Krait Edition (tried bios N.7 and the latest one N.8)

And i did not manage to boot it up. All i get is a blank screen.

I am planning on trying the X99A Raider next, however i would like to really make sure the thing will boot 'cause i am really tired with finding different mobos all the time :-D

I have attached a photo of my CPU and also the testing screenshot (it is supposed to be the screenshot of this very CPU being tested by the seller.)

I really don't have much experience with these ES CPUs, but i would really want to get this bad boy going! From what i understood i got one with the A1 revision: E5 2683 V4 QHZE ES Remarked as SR2JT

I would very much appreciate your advice on the Mobo that could run this CPU.

Thanks in advance!

You need a v3 to update the bios I had this problem 2 weeks ago I have the 2683 v4 on a x99 raider.
If you are near the houston texas area I could lend you a hand I have a Xeon v3 haswell.

Attachments

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
WOW! Looks like you have exactly the same CPU as i am, even the A1 revision! Well, it is MSI x99 raider then :)

Do you have a P.5 Bios or P.4?

Unfortunately, i am not even near houston texas, but thanks anyways!

Kalistoval

Sep 11, 2016
WOW! Looks like you have exactly the same CPU as i am, even the A1 revision! Well, it is MSI x99 raider then :)

Do you have a P.5 Bios or P.4?

Unfortunately, i am not even near houston texas, but thanks anyways!
I have used both, The p.4 is a better bios than the p.5 both will work though. So you will need either a retail x99 Haswell chip or know some one that can lend you one

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
Ok, will do it tomorrow! I use my local service, they have this thing that can flash the bios chip without the CPU :)

Thanks for the help! I will post tomorrow whether it worked or not!

Kalistoval

Sep 11, 2016
For the Raider you will need a cpu, I do know some motherboard are able to update the bios without a cpu. What board are you planing to use?.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I assume he will take out the bios chip and flash it separately without the board;)