ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Thank you very much for clarification.
Do you think this is ES/QS limitations or E5-2650 V3 feature?
Might be a feature despite Ark claiming 2133...

Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3 "Haswell" Processor Review | Microway

• Entry-level “Basic” CPUs now support 1600MHz memory (a 20% increase)
  • Mid-level “Standard” CPUs now support 1866MHz memory (a 16% increase)
  • Higher-end “Advanced”, “High Core Count” & “Frequency Optimized” CPUs now support up to 4 DIMMs per socket at 2133MHz (a 14% increase)

safro2000

Sep 10, 2016
Might be a feature despite Ark claiming 2133...

Intel Xeon E5-2600 v3 "Haswell" Processor Review | Microway

• Entry-level “Basic” CPUs now support 1600MHz memory (a 20% increase)
  • Mid-level “Standard” CPUs now support 1866MHz memory (a 16% increase)
  • Higher-end “Advanced”, “High Core Count” & “Frequency Optimized” CPUs now support up to 4 DIMMs per socket at 2133MHz (a 14% increase)
Thanks for this link on V3 Xeons, it is really very useful, shows why E5-2650 v3 sets DDR4-2133 as 1866.

safro2000

Sep 10, 2016
ES/QS should support the same memory frequencies. The difference between an ES and a QS is in the microcode and the stepping/revisions. Although there are cases where an ES and QS are the same aside from microcode detection. Also ES usually have different clock speeds particularly for turbo boost (usually lower for both).
Yes, now I see this is not limitation of ES/QS chips.
Thank you!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Would be QFQR on E5-2695 v3 be acceptable or is that too early?
It's one of those intermediate steppings (M0) and I haven't seen a real yay or nay on that one (I believe), the one(s) before it QDXX was a nay , QEY6 (ES2) a maybe (Rollo said yay, Patrick nay) and the one after it QFQG (PreQS) a yay though...

I though I had seen a CPU-Z screenshot in an old ebay listing which showed it as Pre-QS but cant find it any more.

Last edited:

Ninjagordy

Sep 21, 2016
incase anyones interested my X99-UD4P , E5 2685 V3 ES and 16gb of G-Skill DDR4 Ram are on ebay uk. going with X79 and some cheaper v1/v2 Xeons for a play :)

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Still reading my way through the whole thread but what do you guys think the chances are that an hp gen9 server would accept a QS CPU

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Still reading my way through the whole thread but what do you guys think the chances are that an hp gen9 server would accept a QS CPU
If its the final QS stepping then it should work as those are identical to production levels.

Would be QFQR on E5-2695 v3 be acceptable or is that too early?
It's one of those intermediate steppings (M0) ...
Well the screenshot is up, its Stepping 2 /R2 .. so i'd assume its not too bad. On the other hand there are severla steppings after it so they found some more issues... Decisions decisions;)

Reactions: pyro_

Kat

Jun 26, 2016
Have you or anyone ordered off this site/seller? Seems pretty hard when you can't read Chinese, even with google translator.
Mistertao is taking 8% commission.
By the way , xtrememicro refunded my order on the xeon e5 2686v3 qs and told me they have oversold, did it happened to you too?

Xeon

Sep 13, 2016
Finally it's here ,

Converting currency to US dollar including Shipping and VAT

Ordered 2-xeon 2673 v3 QS and got 2676 v3 QS :rolleyes: = 649.35 $
Supermicro x10drl-i = 376.62$
Crucial 64gb ddr4 = 333.77$
evga gtx 1060 ftw+ acx3.0 6gb = 337.66 $ (on the way, now using 7970)
2- hyper-t4 = 87.27 $
crucial mx300 275 GB = 77.59$
1 tb wd blue = 46.28$
Power supply corsair rm850x = 163.36$
corsair 100r case = 58.54$ (swapped old computer case cm storm trooper)

cinebench r15 ≈ 3042cb

Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg Untitled3.jpg Untitled4.jpg

Reactions: Jann

light

Oct 11, 2016
I picked up 2 E5-2689 QS. I could have got the retail for about 26% more but most dealers told me they were identical. It has same stepping and everything. Now, my understanding was this mode would do 3.7 all core and Turbo to 3.8. And that is what I am seeing and I am seeing overall nominal benchmarks and in-line with spec.

However, when I run Corona Benchmark then I see the CPU throttle down to 3.2/3.3ghz and my real speed is only 3.2 to 3.5 vs 3.7. My temps are still reporting below 70C but challenging it. So if I'm seeing anything less then 3.7 all core does that mean the chip is heat throttling or is there another kind of throttling TDP throttling? I am running NH-i4 cooler. The CPU monitors do not report heating throttling. But, it seems to throttle at 55c to 60c.

It appears to be heat throttling but should this cooler be sufficient for this chip? Or maybe the paste hasn't set yet. Any recommendations for a good solid cooler that will do the job if this one doesn't? Maybe h100?

Last edited:

krista

Dec 22, 2015
hi!

anyone know where i can pick up a xeon v3 qgsq so i can go dual socket? i know it's a long shot, but i thought i'd ask anyway :)

Jann

Aug 8, 2016
I picked up 2 E5-2689 QS. I could have got the retail for about 26% more but most dealers told me they were identical. It has same stepping and everything. Now, my understanding was this mode would do 3.7 all core and Turbo to 3.8. And that is what I am seeing and I am seeing overall nominal benchmarks and in-line with spec.

However, when I run Corona Benchmark then I see the CPU throttle down to 3.2/3.3ghz and my real speed is only 3.2 to 3.5 vs 3.7. My temps are still reporting below 70C but challenging it. So if I'm seeing anything less then 3.7 all core does that mean the chip is heat throttling or is there another kind of throttling TDP throttling? I am running NH-i4 cooler. The CPU monitors do not report heating throttling. But, it seems to throttle at 55c to 60c.

It appears to be heat throttling but should this cooler be sufficient for this chip? Or maybe the paste hasn't set yet. Any recommendations for a good solid cooler that will do the job if this one doesn't? Maybe h100?
Are those V4? Because in V4, intel introduced some kind of stupid protection when using AVX, where the chips throttle down even under normal temperatures. Since Corona uses AVX, numerous people with retail V4 chips have written on their forum that they get less performance than their V3 systems.
So if your system is for rendering, wait and hope for intel to fix this somehow.

light

Oct 11, 2016
It is not for rendering. But, I have other benchmarks too where it shows my CPU averaging 3.5ghz but the others averaging 3.7ghz or the turbo turned offed. My overall speeds are good but not sure why seeing this behavior. I don't really hear the fans kick into any sort of higher gear either.

I have the ASUS Z10PE-W16. Perhaps someone can show me how its suppose to be setup? Most of the features aren't explained. One thing I noted is that this CPU has an operating temp 55C compared to the 2687wV4 of 70C @ CPUWORLD.

But thanks it sounds like it could be due to the AVX instructions.

Last edited:

light

Oct 11, 2016
@krista could check Ebay or Taobao. The e5-2666/2667 look interesting. It is difficult to order from Taobao though you would have to wire money or get an agent. A lot of inventory does not exist-- so you might see a chip listed by multiple vendors when in actuality none will carry. Google works pretty good for translating to Chinese.

krista

Dec 22, 2015
@krista could check Ebay or Taobao. The e5-2666/2667 look interesting. It is difficult to order from Taobao though you would have to wire money or get an agent. A lot of inventory does not exist-- so you might see a chip listed by multiple vendors when in actuality none will carry. Google works pretty good for translating to Chinese.
thanks!

i've been checking ebay: that's where i got the first one, and lost the second auction by a few dollars. taobao...kinda frightens me. while i have found a few e5-2667v3 "qs" (even es is qs there, lol), i can't figure out which qcode they are.

i was kinda hoping there would be a forum or something for these...oh well, and thanks!

light

Oct 11, 2016
@krista QS stands for quality sample. All specs match the retail chip. ES is engineering. Turbo will be disabled in most cases. Best to avoid early ES samples and stick with QS or retail or OEM unless you want to take a gamble. Probably easier just to pay seller directly versus auction. Most sellers will put up a CPU ID screen so you can see check exactly what they are selling. You can check the specs at cpuworld. You can find the multipliers at wikipedia or cpuworld to figure out the specs.

krista

Dec 22, 2015
@krista QS stands for quality sample. All specs match the retail chip. ES is engineering. Turbo will be disabled in most cases. Best to avoid early ES samples and stick with QS or retail or OEM unless you want to take a gamble. Probably easier just to pay seller directly versus auction. Most sellers will put up a CPU ID screen so you can see check exactly what they are selling. You can check the specs at cpuworld. You can find the multipliers at wikipedia or cpuworld to figure out the specs.

got that, no worries :)

i was referencing sellers on taobao calling *everything* a qs chip, even when clearly a0 stepping early es, possibly pre-es internal samples.

still looking for that qgsq, though...

light

Oct 11, 2016
I've not seen that but wasn't looking for that chip. They have a review/feedback rating just like Ebay. You can also look at history of seller and when they started selling. You can also look and see how many transactions they did in the last 12 months and what the feedback was. I didn't end up buying because you have to find an agent, also, who will add a fee and didn't find a good way to vet such an agent or you will have to wire money and most banks will charge for that. If you make a deal directly with ebay seller (against the rules and you cant use ebay protections) then you might get just as cheap from ebay.

got that, no worries :)

i was referencing sellers on taobao calling *everything* a qs chip, even when clearly a0 stepping early es, possibly pre-es internal samples.

still looking for that qgsq, though...