ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Question about ram to go with ES Xeons.
Bought the Asrock X99 WS, but now the E5-2686V3 sold out on ebay again, so I'm trying to figure out what ram to get.
I'd like to get Reg ECC 16Gb on each memory stick, but only one option is listed on official support list. Has anyone used anything else on this motherboard?
Also, anyone know any other way to buy that cpu besides ebay? (I'm located in EU).
I see plenty of them on taobao :|
i would go with the samsung on the asrock QVL.
but u can do a backward compat.search on the crucial website.
i.e. the Crucial DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2400, CL17, reg ECC (CT16G4RFD424A) is compatible with X99 WS
Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 RDIMM CT7128091 | X99 WS | Crucial UK

Reactions: Jann

dunde

Aug 7, 2016
Question about ram to go with ES Xeons.
Bought the Asrock X99 WS, but now the E5-2686V3 sold out on ebay again, so I'm trying to figure out what ram to get.
I'd like to get Reg ECC 16Gb on each memory stick, but only one option is listed on official support list. Has anyone used anything else on this motherboard?
Also, anyone know any other way to buy that cpu besides ebay? (I'm located in EU).
I see plenty of them on taobao :|
I am running Asrock X99 extreme6 with Xeon V4 and A-data XPG Z1 (4x8GB) and it is fine. Why do you want to run REG/ECC? And 16 GB/module gives you minimum 64 GB RAM, are you running it as server with virtualization?
And never mind the official approved list of memory modules, it is most often ancient, and you cant find these part numbers available.

Jann

Aug 8, 2016
Why do you want to run REG/ECC? And 16 GB/module gives you minimum 64 GB RAM, are you running it as server with virtualization?
And never mind the official approved list of memory modules, it is most often ancient, and you cant find these part numbers available.
The price is close for 16Gb sticks both reg-ecc or unreg-no-ecc, so after reading more into how they differ, I see no reason not to get them. (and the Crucial ones suggested by RolloZ170 are even cheaper)
I'm starting with 2 sticks, 32Gb total. Quad channel or memory speed doesn't really affect rendering speed. This is mainly a workstation 3d graphics, rendering, and simulations.

sparesim

Oct 12, 2015
I thought ES CPUs are properties of intel. It's not like intel is going to knock down your doors for stolen goods, but it's illegal like piracy is.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Mistery solved. Fritz Chess Benchmark must make use of special (AVX??) calls, which can push all cores to a higher turbo clock.
I ran a test on my workstation at work with a E5-1620 V3 and here are the results:
Fritz Chess Benchmark All Cores Turbo:
View attachment 3320
Prime95 All Cores Turbo:
View attachment 3324
EDIT: So, in short, I'd guess this seller is selling the same stepping 1 e5-2630 V4 QS/ES that we've seen from other sellers.
ITS NOT A MYSTERY
Fritz-Chess Benchmark 4.2 can detect and use up to 8 logical processors only.
8 Threads are 4 Cores.
fritzchess.gif
the E5-2630 V4 QK3G can turbo up 4 cores to 2800mhz ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: William

James-SR

Sep 5, 2016
I wish this thread was available earlier in the year...

I purchased an Xeon ES v1 from icomputer_parts_international earlier this year. It was to run in a open box (unused) Asus P9X79 ws board which after contacting the seller they noted it would be supported.

The chip arrived and installed. After turning the computer on there was smoke from the VRMs and a subsequently nasty electric smoke smell.

After contacting the seller, they asked for proof of postage which I provided and I added photos prior to sending. A full refund was provided.

Moral of the story? Be cautious and buy from a reputable seller. I will buy from them again for a server I'm building but I intend to get a new mobo which can be returned if problematic. Also try to get a later stepping as others have said - M0/QS/C0 and on...

Interesting thread and thanks to those who have provided their experience, this is growing in to a real useful resource for those considering and ES processor

Alan Robertson

Aug 10, 2016
So dues this rule out any V4 ES chips for use as an ESX platform, as they say minimum stepping needed is B0
I was thinking of building a V4 ES system for ESX usage...

Thanks
Alan

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
I'm running a 2630 V4 ES with ESXI 6.0 Update 2 without issue. See my previous posts about it.

socra

Feb 4, 2011
I'm running a 2630 V4 ES with ESXI 6.0 Update 2 without issue. See my previous posts about it.
What is your CPUID..?

I also have a v3 ES cpu that gave me a PSOD ONCE! (have not seen it since..)

The circumstances when this happens are unknown (as of yet not mentioned in the KB)

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015

socra

Feb 4, 2011
Well that would mean that IF the motherboard suppliers decide to release a bios update, your ES cpu would benefit as well :) well done!

Mr. Smith

Aug 25, 2016
USA
Wish I would've known this site about 3 yrs ago when I first started messing with ES in quest of breaking the 4C8T barrier... But still It's been an interesting thread, learning a lot!

Laszlo

Jul 28, 2016

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
I wish this thread was available earlier in the year...

I purchased an Xeon ES v1 from icomputer_parts_international earlier this year. It was to run in a open box (unused) Asus P9X79 ws board which after contacting the seller they noted it would be supported.

The chip arrived and installed. After turning the computer on there was smoke from the VRMs and a subsequently nasty electric smoke smell.

After contacting the seller, they asked for proof of postage which I provided and I added photos prior to sending. A full refund was provided.

Moral of the story? Be cautious and buy from a reputable seller. I will buy from them again for a server I'm building but I intend to get a new mobo which can be returned if problematic. Also try to get a later stepping as others have said - M0/QS/C0 and on...

Interesting thread and thanks to those who have provided their experience, this is growing in to a real useful resource for those considering and ES processor
I agree with Nanotech, sounds like a faulty motherboard. I have done many Pin BSEL mods in the past. 775 days changing straps from 800 to 1333 and 2011V3 to OC the cache. Many times I had the layout incorrect and not even that blew up the motherboard.

On other news after 10 days in customs I get my 2683 V3 today, can't wait to play with it.

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
That's exciting news. Could you please post benchmarks, and screenshots (HwInfo64, CPU-Z), and others. That's the same processor I am also likely going to go with.
Will do.

If I have time I will also have benchmarks comparing it to my 5820K at stock and OC'd to 4.4.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So dues this rule out any V4 ES chips for use as an ESX platform, as they say minimum stepping needed is B0
I was thinking of building a V4 ES system for ESX usage...
Thanks
Alan
IMHO only cpuid 406F1 will get further microcode-updates from intel,
same on v3 cpuid 306F2.
early v4 ES have 406F0
early v3 ES have 306F1 ( microcode stuck on 0x0014 )
just look into your BIOS or HWinfo what mCU version is loaded,
should be 0x00000019 or later on v3
and 0x0b00001a or later on v4.

gtz

Aug 23, 2016
That's exciting news. Could you please post benchmarks, and screenshots (HwInfo64, CPU-Z), and others. That's the same processor I am also likely going to go with.
Here is a screenshot of my new Cinebench score and CPU-Z benchmark tool with the 2683 V3

Reactions: William