ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
On a dual CPU board is it ok to mix ES and non-ES CPUs?

On a Supermicro X10Dri-T motherboard I wanted to use the ES cpu and a non-ES cpu. Will this combination work?
YOU CAN NOT MIX CPU
both cpu must have same type AND specs/stepping. 2 of the same ES works.
A OEM cpu and a ES can not have same specs/steppings.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Wow that 2676v3 is interesting. I wonder what's different about it compared to the 2690v3.

Would be interesting if someone could get their hands on that 200W xeon for dells watercooled builds 2679v4
Dell Introduces New Liquid Cooling Technology | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
I think the 2676 v3 was an Amazon part for AWS. Slightly more speed than the 2670 v3 because they can guarantee the thermal conditions

AWS Offers 2.4 GHz Intel Xeon E5-2676 v3 Haswell processors ~ Converge! Network Digest

How did AWS customise an Intel CPU for its new EC2 M4 instance? - Quora

Reactions: RolloZ170

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
YOU CAN NOT MIX CPU
both cpu must have same type AND specs/stepping. 2 of the same ES works.
A OEM cpu and a ES can not have same specs/steppings.
Correct. It is extremely rare for a CPU/System vendor to do cross spec testing. As you can imagine it adds exponentially more cases that have to be tested in systems with little to no possible return. You are talking about CPUs where it already take 12+ months of post silicon testing to get through the test plans and adding in cross spec testing would likely increase that to 12+ years easily and require orders of magnitude more resources and money.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
Wow that 2676v3 is interesting. I wonder what's different about it compared to the 2690v3.

Would be interesting if someone could get their hands on that 200W xeon for dells watercooled builds 2679v4
Dell Introduces New Liquid Cooling Technology | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews
These like the other custom parts are basically special order items that gain benefit from reduced system variance. AWS/Dell agree to a stricter thermal/electrical environment in return for increased performance. Think of them simply as server grade K parts. There is a little more guarantee as they are spec'd with consent/cooperation of Intel proper but they do have extremely strict thermal/electrical bounds.

TheJackal83

Jul 31, 2016

Mkmdad

Jun 13, 2016
Hi guy's!
I just signed up to ask 2 questions.
#1 what do you guys think of this e5 2698 V4 Intel Xeon E5 2698 V4 ES QHUZ 2.0Ghz 50MB 20Core LGA2011 14nm 135W Processor CPU
I just bought 2 of those and hope they’re going to be stable for some render crunching.

#2 I was thinking of getting te ASUS Asus Z10PE-D8 WS
Is there a better mobo out there that can suit me better?
So please let me know what you guys are thinking/

Thanks!
Will your rendering software be able to utilize all these cores?
If the software that you'll be using is limited to a specific number of cores I would choose less cores with higher speed per core.

flixujin

Jul 31, 2016
Hi guy's!
I just signed up to ask 2 questions.
#1 what do you guys think of this e5 2698 V4 Intel Xeon E5 2698 V4 ES QHUZ 2.0Ghz 50MB 20Core LGA2011 14nm 135W Processor CPU
I just bought 2 of those and hope they’re going to be stable for some render crunching.

#2 I was thinking of getting te ASUS Asus Z10PE-D8 WS
Is there a better mobo out there that can suit me better?
So please let me know what you guys are thinking/

Thanks!
Hey I just bought the same Xeon and Motherboard you asked! Can't wait to see the result!
But I'm not buying Z10PE-D8 WS, I rather buy D16 WS counterpart, people have so much problem with D8 WS in the past, not so sure with the current revision...If I were you, I would stick with D16 WS as it's more reliable

There are some alternative too for the motherboard, such as:
Supermicro x10DAi or ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16
But be careful with supermicro board, their E-ATX form factor is not a standard, you either have to buy their properiatery chassis or drill you own case

Mkmdad

Jun 13, 2016
Hey I just bought the same Xeon and Motherboard you asked! Can't wait to see the result!
But I'm not buying Z10PE-D8 WS, I rather buy D16 WS counterpart, people have so much problem with D8 WS in the past, not so sure with the current revision...If I were you, I would stick with D16 WS as it's more reliable

There are some alternative too for the motherboard, such as:
Supermicro x10DAi or ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16
But be careful with supermicro board, their E-ATX form factor is not a standard, you either have to buy their properiatery chassis or drill you own case
Please post an update once you have it put together.

Reactions: flixujin

TheJackal83

Jul 31, 2016
Why is the D16 more reliable? The D8 is newer i heard and has a M.2 x4 speed 32GB/s The D16 had x2 speed.
The only down side of this cpu is that is a 0 stepping. So I'll be holding my breath when I pop those suckers in :p

flixujin

Jul 31, 2016
Why is the D16 more reliable? The D8 is newer i heard and has a M.2 x4 speed 32GB/s The D16 had x2 speed.
The only down side of this cpu is that is a 0 stepping. So I'll be holding my breath when I pop those suckers in :p
I don't know, I have been conducted a research between D8 WS and D16 WS and more people ranting on D8 WS. Maybe, just maybe because the number of people using D8 WS is larger than D16 WS. Also you need to make sure that your D8 WS manufacture date is above Oct 2015. If not, you won't get a proper support for Xeon E5 v4 series

TheJackal83

Jul 31, 2016
Will your rendering software be able to utilize all these cores?
If the software that you'll be using is limited to a specific number of cores I would choose less cores with higher speed per core.
Sure! C4D and arnold renderer and V-ray loves cores.
Just likte the cookie monster love's his cookie's.
The more the merrier ;)
I just sold my i7 5960X so I could buy those puppies. ( cant wait :p )

TheJackal83

Jul 31, 2016
Also you need to make sure that your D8 WS manufacture date is above Oct 2015. If not, you won't get a proper support for Xeon E5 v4 series
Yeah thanks for the heads-up. I read about that. which baord are you getting?
It's going to take a couple of weeks for my cpu's ( Holland ) So I have plenty of time to nose around for the best board :)

flixujin

Jul 31, 2016
Yeah thanks for the heads-up. I read about that. which baord are you getting?
It's going to take a couple of weeks for my cpu's ( Holland ) So I have plenty of time to nose around for the best board :)
I just bought D16 WS. It's way cheaper than D8 WS in amazon right now and see a better customer rating than D16 WS. So yeah that's one of my biggest buying decision factor

TheJackal83

Jul 31, 2016
I just bought D16 WS. It's way cheaper than D8 WS in amazon right now and see a better customer rating than D16 WS. So yeah that's one of my biggest buying decision factor
Do you have more info about the cpu's we bought?
Did you also bought it from the same seller on ebay?

flixujin

Jul 31, 2016
Do you have more info about the cpu's we bought?
Did you also bought it from the same seller on ebay?
Not so much but I have seen people using the same software I used for 3D effects simulation stuff, it looks like they got it working well, yup ES Xeon.
No, I bought from a different seller than yours. Mine is from japan