ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Hello people,

This tread is very VERY usefull!!

I read all the 6 pages of it, and I was wondering to buy this CPU that you posted before. My question is if it is compatible with my actuall board. Or if not, what board should I buy? A 601/602 chip set, supermicro, or stuck with Asus x99 and find a suitable CPU?

My daily job is working with cinema 4d after effect and premiere pro, also photoshop.

This is my actual computer:
View attachment 3102

Looking forward for you reply, and many thanks in advance for you knowledge share in this tread. :D
Good news, those v3 ES runs on any X99 motherboards, even that M0 stepping, same as OEM/retail cpu.
The E5-2686v3 can run 18 cores at 2300mhz, single core turbo is 3500mhz, but you can NOT overclock them.
The right server chipset is C612, but you dont need that.
There are two other sources of that ES, for $399 dollar.

TommyKnight

Jul 23, 2016
Good news, those v3 ES runs on any X99 motherboards, even that M0 stepping, same as OEM/retail cpu.
The E5-2686v3 can run 18 cores at 2300mhz, single core turbo is 3500mhz, but you can NOT overclock them.
The right server chipset is C612, but you dont need that.
There are two other sources of that ES, for $399 dollar.
Ok perfect, so you think its a buy? If so i will buy it and post the result. :D

Btw I usenormal memory not ECC , 32gb DDR4 is there a problem?
Memory specs:
d7534cb62bb1c89d1796d957e309b15c.png

Mkmdad

Jun 13, 2016
I theory that works, but maybe the BIOS don't support this.
Ask ASUS support for that.
ASUS website has a list of compatible memory with your board both ecc and none ecc.
I suggest using ram that is listed as tested by ASUS for your board only because it will be easier to get support from ASUS if you have any issues.
I had a situation with a memory error on my supermicro and their responce was " we only support ram that is listed on our website for that motherboard.

flix_ujin

Jul 23, 2016
ASUS website has a list of compatible memory with your board both ecc and none ecc.
I suggest using ram that is listed as tested by ASUS for your board only because it will be easier to get support from ASUS if you have any issues.
I had a situation with a memory error on my supermicro and their responce was " we only support ram that is listed on our website for that motherboard.
I tried to find 64GB ram of a listed supported RAM but I cannot find it with combo stick, it only comes with a single ram stick. Would that be alright to purchase these ECC RAM one by one?

Mkmdad

Jun 13, 2016
I tried to find 64GB ram of a listed supported RAM but I cannot find it with combo stick, it only comes with a single ram stick. Would that be alright to purchase these ECC RAM one by one?
You mean not in a kit?
That's what I got, single sticks. But I wish I bought the kit.
4 sticks of quad channel memory per CPU is working great for me.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
On a dual CPU board is it ok to mix ES and non-ES CPUs?

On a Supermicro X10Dri-T motherboard I wanted to use the ES cpu and a non-ES cpu. Will this combination work?

flix_ujin

Jul 23, 2016
What is the spec for this cpu? Q????
My supermicro boards BIOS was not ready for a V4 chip. If that is your case you would need to update first.
It looks like QHUZ. What does it mean? I will be using ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS

flix_ujin

Jul 23, 2016
Read earlier comments in this thread.
It's explained by Patriot.
So Patriot said QD and QE is not stable enough. My guess is QH is acceptable? Correct me if I'm wrong, QA,QB,QC,QE,QD....where the alphabet order goes up the way to Z, the more stable the ES is? Am I right?

Mkmdad

Jun 13, 2016
So Patriot said QD and QE is not stable enough. My guess is QH is acceptable? Correct me if I'm wrong, QA,QB,QC,QE,QD....where the alphabet order goes up the way to Z, the more stable the ES is? Am I right?
That's my understanding.
QH is better than QE or QD.

socra

Feb 4, 2011
Anyone here with any experience with ASRock Rack support when it comes to supporting the ES cpu's ?
Running into an issue with booting an ES cpu from an ASRock board.

If I create a case can I mention that I'm using an ES CPU or will support then close the case immediately?