ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

supergregg

Aug 10, 2018
Hi.
Can anyone recommend me some hardware, I'm looking to upgrade my Xeon E3-1230 v2 to something beefier and capable of more RAM. It will be a home server running 24/7 with VMs, working VT-d/VT-x, and low power usage/TDP is a priority. Some kind of single ES/QS Xeon E5, would be nice maybe? Budget is about $500 for CPU and mobo.
Thanks!

Reactions: hendeeze

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@supergregg Are you looking to get a CPU that uses DDR3 (like the E3-v2 you have now) or are you considering something newer that uses DDR4?

I should have an E3-1270 v3 & v6 lying around, but I also have some Broadwell E5's.

supergregg

Aug 10, 2018
@John Titor I'm running this on a Supermicro X9SCM-F so i think i will be needing a new Motherboard to anyway. Might as well go with something newer all together as i have been running this setup since the E3-1230 v2 came out and that was in 2012. More cores, more ram and low power usage is what im looking for, the electricity here in sweden ain't cheap.

scraper

Jul 31, 2018
Me again with Xeon E5-2696 v3 ES QEY8 issues.

Finaly got ECC ram Samsung 16GB M393A2G40DB0-CPB.

Both boards, Asus X99A usb3.1 AND AsRock X99 Extreme 4, same issue no improvement. Asus one hangs on B0 POST error black screen, AsRock no post balck screen no beeps.

Tried all ram slots, almost every BIOS version, etc. I know boards and ram is ok since i have E5-2678, so i am kinda hitting a wall here.

Would i need some workstation oriented board, some supermicro model would work?

I know its B0 stepping CPU, but i am desperate for solution.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@scraper I run a QS E5-2695 v3 in my X99 rig everyday, which uses an ASRock X99 Fatal1ty Killer mobo. I've also used a QS E5-2699 v3 in the same rig, so I'm assuming your issue is either a motherboard support problem or a defective part somewhere in the build (or, though less likely, maybe something isn't properly seated like the memory).

Memory wise, what you bought should work. Almost any Samsung, Micron, or SK Hynix registered ECC DDR4/PC4 2Rx4 2133 Mhz memory should work. Make sure you've got your CPU power connector in and that your PSU is at least 500w.

From what you've posted so far, it sounds to most likely be a defective CPU (especially if it worked when trying an E5-2678 v3 in the same board). Aside from that, the only other issues I can think of would be lack of mobo support or user error, but I don't think that's the issue all things considered.

If you need me to test the CPU for you, feel free to reach out.

Reactions: scraper

Sable

Active Horse
Oct 19, 2016
Me again with Xeon E5-2696 v3 ES QEY8 issues.

Finaly got ECC ram Samsung 16GB M393A2G40DB0-CPB.

Both boards, Asus X99A usb3.1 AND AsRock X99 Extreme 4, same issue no improvement. Asus one hangs on B0 POST error black screen, AsRock no post balck screen no beeps.

Tried all ram slots, almost every BIOS version, etc. I know boards and ram is ok since i have E5-2678, so i am kinda hitting a wall here.

Would i need some workstation oriented board, some supermicro model would work?

I know its B0 stepping CPU, but i am desperate for solution.
Hey,

Only supermicro could work where other boards don't but if your processor is broken or the stepping is not supported by any board then you should send them back and get a refund. It's kind of a dick move but it's better than nothing.

scraper

Jul 31, 2018
@John Titor Im kinda close to same conclusion, dead CPU or no CPU/stepping support. Everything else is checked thoroughly, boards, PSU, ram, as i said everything works with E5-2678 also an ES.

But to make definite conclusion i have to try supermicro, or something similar.

Since my feeling, from the fact that on ASUS board it stops on memory initialization, could mean that compatibility is more likely than dead CPU.

At the moment i am trying to find pictures of boards that worked on B0 ES and QEYx CPUS(based on HWinfo screenshots) - to try deduct what is likely to work with QEY8.

Its odd, not much info online on this particular CPU, tho i see past ebay listings of working cpus, sadly no info on what board.

@Sable Cant refund since it didn't came from internet sale or similar.

John Titor

Jul 20, 2016
United States
@scraper I actually have a QEYX CPU on hand (E5-2630L v3). I can test it with my X99 ASRock board later today to see if those QEYx CPUs are supported steppings. I've been needing to get around to testing these anyways, so I might as well get it done!

I'll let you know what I figure out.

scraper

Jul 31, 2018
I have took list that is in first post of this thread searched QEYx CPUs on internet. What i found is that they are B0, B0/L0 or L0 stepping. What i went in detail are B0 ones, since that is mine. What i found out they are only working on asus, asrock and supermicro workstation boards, but also with Asus Rampage V Extreme bios 0603. What makes that board special, i cant tell.

You can check with your 2630L but from that list it seems it is either not QEYx or its L0 stepping, but you can check for safety. I appreciate the help!

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com

Hello, I also have Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard and I bought an Intel ES QHZH 'E5-2650 v4' processor.

I am trying to use it but I am stuck at BIOS post screen, says:

Code:
DXE--Intel RAS Initialization... 79
Do you know what I might be able to do to get it to work?

Thank you!
-Avery

Edit: I got it working, was having some configuration issues with the BMC, I turned it off, updated the BIOS and then was able to turn it back on.

QHZH seems to work really well! 12-core 24-thread at 2.0-2.7GHz. Nom. Power...

Last edited:

Krobar

Aug 25, 2012
Hello, I also have Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard and I bought an Intel ES QHZH 'E5-2650 v4' processor.

I am trying to use it but I am stuck at BIOS post screen, says:

Code:
DXE--Intel RAS Initialization... 79
Do you know what I might be able to do to get it to work?

Thank you!
-Avery

Edit: I got it working, was having some configuration issues with the BMC, I turned it off, updated the BIOS and then was able to turn it back on.

QHZH seems to work really well! 12-core 24-thread at 2.0-2.7GHz. Nom. Power...
I have QHUZ chip, a 20 core but similar. All works well except virtualization (VT-X) which is somewhat broken.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I have QHUZ chip, a 20 core but similar. All works well except virtualization (VT-X) which is somewhat broken.
Oh no shit, no virtualization??!! How could you tell?

What do you do with a 20-core processor if you can't run VMs? I got mine solely for ESXi so if that were the case for me, I'd be screwed.

I'm running ESXi 6.7 w/ a Windows 10 GPU passthrough VM I'm using like a desktop, plus whatever else I want to throw behind it, because, you know, 24 threads...

Two things that bum me out are 1) ESXi 6.7 has a bug where you can't pass through USB controller PCIe cards unless you run the VM in BIOS mode, so no EFI Windows 10 (not that it makes that much difference in a practical sense, but it was a bitch figuring it out after dicking with it for days and finally figuring out why TF it wouldn't boot), and 2) You can't passthrough HID devices at all in ESXi (unlike KVM) so no mouse or keyboard unless (see #1)

But yeah, I love it so far. Here's my geekbench page:

downsyndrome's Profile - Geekbench Browser

I ran it bare-metal when I first got it: Supermicro Super Server - Geekbench Browser

and the most recent benchmark is my Windows 10 VM: VMware, Inc. VMware7,1 - Geekbench Browser

not bad for 4 of the 24 threads. Almost as fast as my old i5-3570K, which was 3.4GHz w/ 3.7GHz turbo: NewBrunsWick DH67GD - Geekbench Browser

And 1GHz slower clock speed. Amazing.

I guess it's just the luck of the draw, eh? I obsessed over this thread before I felt comfortable buying one and even then I was a little worried.

Reactions: McCHillin

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
should be ok, it is the official QS ;)
View attachment 6152
I have a QHZH - what can you tell me about that?

I noticed it idles around 115w which is troublingly high, as it is a 105w TDP processor, but I do have a lot of fans and expansion cards in the chassis ;)

Right now it contains 2x m.2 NVMe SSDs, 1x GPU 740 GT SC, 1x X540-T2 10Gbe, 1x PCIe USB 3.0 HBA, 6x fans, 1x 15-bay SATA backplane, 3x 760w power supplies, 1x IPMI BMC, dual onboard NIC.

Does that power draw sound high to you, and could it have to do with the QHZH processor itself?

What about it's stepping? Did I make a mistake buying this processor?

Thanks

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
i was wondering about those ES Platinums. what do you think they clock at when running all-core AVX512?

for example
retail 8180 clocks at 2.3.
retail 8170 clocks at a low 1.9!
retail 8176 clocks at 1.9.
retail 8160 clocks a t 2.0

the ES 1.8 base might not be much worse than the retails

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hi there,

what is the best price vs. performance ES/QS cpu available on eBay for 2011-3 these days for rendering? I have a dual socket Supermicro X10DRL-C motherboard.

Thanks

rantonxl

Nov 14, 2017
I have took list that is in first post of this thread searched QEYx CPUs on internet. What i found is that they are B0, B0/L0 or L0 stepping. What i went in detail are B0 ones, since that is mine. What i found out they are only working on asus, asrock and supermicro workstation boards, but also with Asus Rampage V Extreme bios 0603. What makes that board special, i cant tell.

You can check with your 2630L but from that list it seems it is either not QEYx or its L0 stepping, but you can check for safety. I appreciate the help!
What I know is that QEY8 is not working with X99 boards, same time QEY6 and QEY7 works fine. You need to try Supermicro on C612 it might work.
Also what I know about QEY8 - it is factory installed at Quanta server node like this UXS Server Variant 1U Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ Rev 1.20 to 2x E5-2690 V2 256GB RAM | eBay and it works with DDR3 server RAM there, not DDR4. Still wondering about it.

scraper

Jul 31, 2018
What I know is that QEY8 is not working with X99 boards, same time QEY6 and QEY7 works fine. You need to try Supermicro on C612 it might work.
Also what I know about QEY8 - it is factory installed at Quanta server node like this UXS Server Variant 1U Supermicro X9DRI-LN4F+ Rev 1.20 to 2x E5-2690 V2 256GB RAM | eBay and it works with DDR3 server RAM there, not DDR4. Still wondering about it.
I suspected mine came from Quanta server like that, but was never sure. I dont have access to those anymore, but i am quite sure, as you said they worked there.

When talking about Supermicro, would C612 boards be the only ones that would work or just best shot?

As you said, i am still perplexed about this. Maybe if i can somehow get hands on that Quanta server bios then mod the code with regular boards.

Last edited:

tesla100

Jun 15, 2016
Hello, does anybody know what is the difference between "Intel Xeon Platinum 8160 ES QL2M" and "Intel Xeon Platinum 8160 ES QL1K"? Thanks