ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cnj

Aug 18, 2016
But the V3 has the possibility to boost all cores to 3.0GHz. If the V4 can do that as well then fair enough.

Interesting. I was curious about the Asrock x99 taichi being able to run the ES Xeons or not. Anything to add apart from the obvious fact that they seem to run fine? I'm thinking of going with the same motherboard.

PS: You seem to be running a BIOS version that isn't available on ASRock's website on the X99 taichi page. The latest they have is 1.40. Is it a pre-release BIOS that you've been provided by ASRock? Any experiences with older versions?

syXzor

Jan 30, 2017
Hi, I was just about to buy the e5 2658 V4 from ebay when I noticed it says "LGA 1356-3" both in the product details on the page and the cpu-z screenshot.

I couldn't find anything on the internet about any E5-2658 V4 having this socket - they seem to be 2011-3.

So I was thinking.. Since the stepping of this would suggest it is a good chip, similar to the production chip, is it possible that the explanation is just that the seller put this chip into his socket 1356-3 mobo (is 2011-3 cpus backwards compatible with 1356-3?), and that it is indeed a similar model to Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2658 v4 (35M Cache, 2.30 GHz) Specifications - just a late QS ofc.

1 more question. According to my research the stepping of this cpu indicated that this would indeed be a good buy, very close if not similar to the retail cpu - can anybody in here verify if that is correct? (stepping 1, B0, M0, R0).

Edit:
If you look at Intel’s Three Versions of Socket 2011, Not Compatible and compare the cpu to the right with the image of the cpu of the E5 2658 V4 I linked to on ebay, it would seem like it is indeed socket 2011(-3??????)

There is also this one here the seller clearly states that this is LGA 2011-3 but I can't really be sure about the stepping (other than it says stepping 1), since the other cpuz images are missing, so you can't see more accurate info and details about the product. Also, earlier in this thread, a guy seemed to have had quite a bad experience with that seller. :-/

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2016
I've sent a CPU back to xtrememicro due to incorrect wattage (they have sent me a 105W instead of 120W CPU so i could not dual boot), i usually buy via express option (its like 20$) and arrives in 3-5days via TNT. They refunded my transaction 3days after the cpu arrived at them. This was in july.
xtrememicro only refunded me for the item, not shipping

syXzor

Jan 30, 2017
It's LGA2011-3.
Thanks Nanotech, but are you 100% sure about the first one. The one with the hwinfo + another photo showing it's a "Socket B, 1356-3"? Also since the numbers have been blurred, there's really no 100% way of telling right?

Another thing that caught my attention was that it says Stepping "b0/m0/r0" whereas the retail one is M0. I saw somebody mentioned "b0/m0/r0" would be a good indicator, but since it's 3 instead of just "M0" in theory, it could be a b0 We don't know, right?

I've never purchased used hardware online before, so I might be a little too paranoid heh, but would you dare purchasing this cpu? And which of them seems like to better one to you? The more expensive or the cheaper one?

syXzor

Jan 30, 2017
Yes it is LGA2011-3 and you can look at the physical processor and see that it doesn't differ from other V4 QS or ES samples. 1356-3 seems to be incorrect and the 2658 V4 is identified as a LGA2011-3 processor.

Also yes B0/M0/R0 are production steppings. As this is a QS it has identical stepping aside from being recognized as an ES. It doesn't mean it's any less stable or has less features but it's identified a bit differently such as in HwInfo64 or in CPU-Z. A0/A1/L0 are early steppings and are pre-pre-production steppings.

I am not sure which is the better one for you. A QS will give you a better price/performance and compatibility but it may be more expensive than an early stepping V4 ES Xeon. The 2658 V4 QS is still a good processor for a QS.

Edit:

Intel Xeon E5 2658 V4 QS QK9A 2.3GHz 14Core Better than 2658v3 ES Processor CPU | eBay

The motherboard is listed there (Z10PA-D8). It's an LGA2011-3 dual socket motherboard so it's definitely LGA2011-3.
Haha I don't know how I missed that, since I've analyzed this for hours over the last few days. Good find! I guess this seals the deal. Thank you very much - always nice to hear a 2nd opinion.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Is it my imagination or does it seem the supply's of E5 ES and QS cpu's are getting sparse?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I've got a Supermicro X10DRH-CLN4-O running latest BIOS with 2 open sockets I want to fill. I've tried to read most of this thread, but I'm still unsure... any recommendations for suitable CPUs available on eBay right now?

Edit: I'll rephrase my question, since it seems to have been ignored.

If I pick up an E5 v4 ES/QS chip, and have the latest BIOS on my Supermicro board, will there be any issues? I see most people using ASUS boards here.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just ordered two E5-2667 V3 QEYA ES cpu's instead of the OEM E5-2683 V3 I had originally planned. After playing around with my dual E5-2670 build I realized a cpu that is two generations newer running at a higher clock speed on the same number of core would be better for my usage than 6 more cores per cpu running at 2.5 GHz. I decided not to try the bios hacking to attempt to get a pair of 2683's to have a higher all core boost because I did not want to potentially mess up my new motherboard. But since I will be using a dual 2011-3 motherboard I will be keeping an eye out for the V3 & V4 ES QS and retail cpu's that will come out of upgraded and or decommissioned data centers. So I am really thinking that these two 2667's will be replaced by a better pair later.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I've got a Supermicro X10DRH-CLN4-O running latest BIOS with 2 open sockets I want to fill. I've tried to read most of this thread, but I'm still unsure... any recommendations for suitable CPUs available on eBay right now?

Edit: I'll rephrase my question, since it seems to have been ignored.

If I pick up an E5 v4 ES/QS chip, and have the latest BIOS on my Supermicro board, will there be any issues? I see most people using ASUS boards here.
How many cores, clock speeds and budget (per chip)?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I'm buying this for a home lab/play. So I'm less directly asking for a specific recommendation, but to try to understand available options.

I guess I'm asking for a sense of what the options are across performance, cost/availability, reliability/heat or power?

1. What's available on eBay at the low end, middle and highend?
2. If I want someone with lots of cores, what would my options be?
3. If I want something with few cores, but higher clock speed, what would you recommend?
4. if I want something low cost (assume availability plays into this) what would you recommend?

Low noise/low heat is important. I currently have an SC846 with SQ power supplies, and I'd probably end up opting for something that's lower power/heat over something that can burst really fast.

J--

Aug 13, 2016
Anyone know the difference between QHVK and QK3G?

They both come up as ES2 2630 v4?

gaster

Dec 28, 2016
QK3G is retail stepping with 3.1Ghz for it's top turbo speed.
QHVK is an earlier stepping and only 2.5Ghz top turbo speed.

edit: See Post #1187
The info is all in this thread or these forums somewhere.

Last edited:

JPJ

Feb 5, 2017
No problem. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask and I am sure either myself or anyone else will be glad to help you out. Just keep in mind when using a V4 Xeon that your bios is up to date (for Broadwell-EP/E support) and that the motherboard you are using supports the stepping you have chosen (this is important for A0/A1/L0 steppings but not so much for QS samples).
I'm looking at same processor on ebay -- however 2.3GHz is pretty low, ya? I know there are a lot of cores...but I can get retail i7 processors for $350 that are quad core with 4.5GHz clock. At what point does it make more sense to go with large number of cores over clock speed? Again I know it's not apples to apples necessarily, but I keep debating on if these clock speeds will deliver performance when I'm trying to implement deep neural network training algos.....

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
The old question - the old answer:

If you need little RAM, no ECC, go retail.
If you need more ram and high speed go e3 or single e5. If you need even more ram and more cores go e5 workstation (higher clock) or high end (more cores).
If your application uses multiple threads in parallel then it should be able to use many cores at once, else it will run better on high single thread performance cpus

DrMuffinMD

Feb 5, 2017
Hey! I just picked up an E5-2658 V3 QGP5 with a supposed stepping of M1. I can't find much on the specifics of the QGP5 but from what I gather the QG's are pretty close to retail no? The turbo of the retail goes up to 2.9Ghz, but I found an auction that showed a QGP5 only going to 2.5Ghz. Not too big of a deal if it doesn't do the full 2.9, does anyone have experience with this CPU?

ajschot

Feb 6, 2017
I am happy with my E5-2630v4 ES QHVK i know it is al early stepping but for €140 is was a bargain. I have it on ny supermicro X10SRi-F and running ESXi with FreeNAS, Windows 10, Ubuntu and it is running well. No problemas at all and runs stable.
Hope it will running well for years.
I did not find this forum before buying and also looking for a 2683Wv3 or v4 for my workstation but these are hard to find and when i find a high speed it is out of my butget. But first i could get a 2658v4 very cheap also a QS which i going to use with my ASRock x99 extreme 4 till i get a faster one.
I do mainly photo, video and audio editting so it is enough but so now and then i would like to play a game so i will wait and maybe there are some comming in the future.
For now i am happy with my home server with E5-2630v4 ES 64GB DDR4 ECC and my workstation for now E5-2658v4 QS.
For my workstation i still thinking about using normal udimms is that possible? Because then i will get 64GB DDR4 3000

waith

Aug 3, 2015
Has anyone successfully used VT-D on a E5-2670 V1 C0 (QB7A) stepping? I've been able to pass through a few GPUs using Hyper-V 2016, but I was never able to install drivers for them.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
May be dumb question, but how do I know what is stepping B or C from CPU-Z?
If it says revision 2 it means C, or what?