ES cpu issues with Supermicro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
I haven't heard anything further regarding the issue described in your original post.. Is it safe to assume that you were able to determine the source of the problem?

@ycp

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
Hi, I was able to boot up computer with two CPUs, no problem with that but when I begin to install software it is not working with some of them, seems like it is not able to use dlr files, I do not know is it a bug or because of early stepping of cpu, as I have another cpus es/qs stepping 2 B2 and everything working well.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Hi, I was able to boot up computer with two CPUs, no problem with that but when I begin to install software it is not working with some of them, seems like it is not able to use dlr files, I do not know is it a bug or because of early stepping of cpu, as I have another cpus es/qs stepping 2 B2 and everything working well.
Certainly doesn't sound like any CPU related issue I've ever heard of.. What ended up being the solution?

@ycp How about you? Were you able to resolve the memory issue?

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
I know it is sound weird, and I saw other guys use the same CPUs and did rendering no problem but my is not able for some reason, I did cinebench r15 test and it is work well around 5000 point but when I run test for my render it was two time slower then my old CPUs 48 threads, memory work well by one for each CPU

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
I know it is sound weird, and I saw other guys use the same CPUs and did rendering no problem but my is not able for some reason, I did cinebench r15 test and it is work well around 5000 point but when I run test for my render it was two time slower then my old CPUs 48 threads, memory work well by one for each CPU
Have you setup the BIOS appropriately? What do you see when running HWInfo64?

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
I did not change anything on Bios except VGA onboard-disable, HWinfo64 was the same as on your screenshot.
Can you check device manager - processors, my was snow uknown.

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
What software were you using for your render?

I've seen situations before where dual socket systems get odd performance issues (performance failed to scale) even on pure-parallel-compute non-shared-memory tasks where their single-socket counterparts (even systems with MCM cpus in a 1S config, like threadripper or epyc) scale just fine. I've had some dual 4116s and M5.24xlarge instances that experienced that issue, while every single socket platform I've tested scaled as-predicted on the same workloads. Whats more, was that the scaling problem persisted regardless of OS (tested on ubuntu, debian, and windows on the 2S4116 systems). It only happens on some software too, and I can't figure out why, especially given that I wrote some of the software that was failing to scale on the 2S platforms, but other software i wrote was scaling just fine on them.

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
Hi, I am using Maxwell Render. I install 3d max and then Maxwell render but when 3d max start uploading all plugins it give an error maxwell.dlr can not found and then some code function error, photoshop has runtime error as well. Cinebench test run well. i guess it is just because early stepping B0 as B2 works well.

And i was able to run Maxwell test render, all the cores were loaded on 100% but speed was super slow.

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
I have a stepping 2 rev B0 processor, if thats what you mean, but it hasn't experienced any stability issues in any software (though I haven't specifically used maxwell renderer or photoshop)

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Hi, I am using Maxwell Render. I install 3d max and then Maxwell render but when 3d max start uploading all plugins it give an error maxwell.dlr can not found and then some code function error, photoshop has runtime error as well. Cinebench test run well. i guess it is just because early stepping B0 as B2 works well.

And i was able to run Maxwell test render, all the cores were loaded on 100% but speed was super slow.
I can attest to the fact that photoshop has no issues on these processors..

If HWInfo64 looks the same as my screenshot, you’ll want to set things up differently. Rather than have all of the cores pinned @Max non-turbo frequencies, you’d like to see the core frequencies jumping around in order to achieve the highest level of performance in applications that perform best @maximum core frequencies. My screenshot was taken while I was still playing with BIOS settings.

I’ll try to jump on late tomorrow night, pull all of the BIOS settings I ultimately settled on, and post them here.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Will you be able to run Maxwell render test. link - Maxwell Home - Maxwell
What exactly would you like me to run? I'd be happy to give it a shot, although I've been running various B0 V5 CPU's for months and have yet to encounter any software incompatibilities.

@ycp I'm assuming that your lack of activity in this thread means that you were able to resolve the issue and all is well. If not, feel free to get in touch with me here or via cell.

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
Hi, I would appreciate if you try to run Maxwell render test, maxwellrender.com
Click try and download maxwell studio

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
When installation done , go to program file Maxwell render 4 and run maxwell.exe, then tools - run benchwell

moniker

May 12, 2016
How were you able to finally overcome the memory training error? Currently having that problem myself, trying to use dual QL1K's in my X11DPH-T

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
How were you able to finally overcome the memory training error? Currently having that problem myself, trying to use dual QL1K's in my X11DPH-T
Hi, i did not have training error problem, i was used 2 slots by 16gb 2666 ghr on DimmA1 for CPU1 and DimmA1 for CPU2 and it was boot up with no problem. in my case this CPUs did not work well on my software for some reason too slow super slow.

moniker

May 12, 2016
Hi, i did not have training error problem, i was used 2 slots by 16gb 2666 ghr on DimmA1 for CPU1 and DimmA1 for CPU2 and it was boot up with no problem. in my case this CPUs did not work well on my software for some reason too slow super slow.
Thanks for the reply. It seems that these chips are only working when there are 16gb sticks used. Does anyone have experience with 4gb or 8gb sticks working?

So far I've tried KVR21R15S8/4 and M393A1G40DB0-CPB CB37, both have the training error

Dbd02596

May 3, 2018
on my first try to boot up i was trying 32gb 2400 and i got no memory detected error. As i sad even when system is up some test running super slow on 96 threats 100% loaded. For some reason Cinebench run well but other test were slow as my old CPUs with 48 threats or even slower.

Kupaloid

Mar 16, 2018
It could be a faulty motherboard if both cpus having the same problem. Check the socket, see if there are any bented pins.