Error when running with two processors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Teng

Apr 29, 2016
Hi, I try to install two processors (E5-2690) into the server (QCT STRATOS S210-X22RQ).

However, I find the two processors cannot work properly in the machine.
The symptom is that there is no post or boot of the server. Login into the BMC and find the following error.
Machine Check Exception (MCERR) - Asserted

The two processors are completely the same, E5-2690, SR0L0, C2 stepping.

I have tried the following configurations:
1. Test each of the processors. Each of them can work properly, if no processor is placed in the second CPU socket.
2. Leave only one memory stick for each CPU and remove all the other memory sticks. The two memory sticks are identical. Doesn't work.
3. Swap their CPU sockets. See the same symptom (No matter which processor is placed in socket 0, I will see the same assert from processor 0). Doesn't work.
4. Try both processors on another machine (the same type STRATOS S210-X22RQ), and see the exact same symptom. Doesn't work.
5. Try both processors on another machine (Dell T7610), and can work (boot into OS and verify that two processors are loaded and running).
6. Update BIOS to the latest version S2RS_3A27. Doesn't work.
7. Clear the BIOS. Doesn't work.

Could anyone help to figure out the issue? Thanks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Are you SURE the two processors are identical? Any possibility that one of them could be a re-marked ES chip (engineering sample where somebody re-marked the case to look like retail).

Fire the system up with each chip as a single. Run the Intel CPU Identification tool (or if you have Windows Handy CPU-Z) and check that the chip actually reports the right model and stepping.

Teng

Apr 29, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have this concern before and I have done the check using CPU-Z and EVEREST Ultimate Edition.
They show both processors are not ES. They are C2-stepping, and have CPUID 206D7.
I also checked the CPU information in the BIOS, and see similar result.
I also run the intel processor diagnostic tool, and they can pass all the test.
IMG_2162.JPG IMG_2158.JPG

Teng

Apr 29, 2016
Yes, they are. The heatsink is OEM and fan/cooling is provided by the chassis. It is a typical rackmount server.
Here is an image for the server so that you can have a better sense.
S210-X22RQ-2.jpg