ERL recovery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
So, fun night...

My ERL has been giving me issues lately. Had not been able to log into the web interface, just a Server 500 error.

I decided to fix it tonight, just do a factory reset and load the config file I had saved down after my last change.
Evidently the stock image is stored on a usbkey mounted to a header internally.

Mine died or was dying, image was partially corrupted. So all I did was kill my internet connection and still not be able to connect to the router.

Supposedly at this point you can still connect to them via the console port... if you have an rj-45 to db-9, which I have tons of at work... not home.
Found the image online, flashed to a spare usb key, plugged it in to the ERL header and wala, it lives.

This seems to be a more common issue than you would hope... perhaps bad batch of cheap flash drives? Anyhow, might be handy to have the full image on hand on a spare usb key.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Laird

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Does your router show "genuine product" still after this mod? I wonder if this prevents future updates from applying?

Last edited:

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
I think when ERL came out there was a issue with bad USB Keys and also buggy firmware. (I think they improved the firmware around 1.4 from memory)

If you powered off the router without doing a proper shutdown it would corrupt the image.

FYI, firmware 1.7 has been released which gives you some nice graphs on who is doing what.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Yeah. I saw 1.7 and I've updated it on most of the routers I have in service already.

I'm worried about the oldest router I have -- I wish there was a way to see if my device might be potentially affected, so I'd swap out the memory before it fails. Assuming there aren't issues updating to newer versions afterwards...

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I think when ERL came out there was a issue with bad USB Keys and also buggy firmware. (I think they improved the firmware around 1.4 from memory)

If you powered off the router without doing a proper shutdown it would corrupt the image.

FYI, firmware 1.7 has been released which gives you some nice graphs on who is doing what.
I have been running 1.6 for months without issue... then it just stopped letting me log in after a power outage... so yep. I was able to update from the 1.2 image to 1.6 that I had on hand... but now that I have internet... I can grab 1.7 too I suppose.

Still shows genuine

Last edited: