Epyc to replace E5-2630

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
I added another 16 GB to "balance" the RAM, it doesn't seem to have much of a difference.

So, if I look at rebuilding with Epyc or Threadripper, is there any reason to go with one over the other, besides the obvious benefit of Epyc being able to be used on multi socket MB's?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If you are running spinners, your CPU utilization is not high but you don't like performance... why are you not trying to add faster drives like NVME to get an insane boost in latency and overall disk performance first? That will make things seem MUCH snappier. You will want NVME when you upgarde to another CPU\motherboard anyway, so may as well try it on your current system... you'll probably be very surprised AND CPU usage will drop a bit, as no waiting on IO.

Then you can upgrade to a faster single-core performing V3 or V4 E5 for less than $50 for 2 (2697 v3 for example $20\ea), not a huge jump but 15-20% (1700 to 2000 passmark single core perf.)

So you're spending $50 you may not have if you had just jumped to EPYC to see if it works, which could potentially save many hundreds.

Reactions: i386

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
If you are running spinners, your CPU utilization is not high but you don't like performance... why are you not trying to add faster drives like NVME to get an insane boost in latency and overall disk performance first? That will make things seem MUCH snappier. You will want NVME when you upgarde to another CPU\motherboard anyway, so may as well try it on your current system... you'll probably be very surprised AND CPU usage will drop a bit, as no waiting on IO.

Then you can upgrade to a faster single-core performing V3 or V4 E5 for less than $50 for 2 (2697 v3 for example $20\ea), not a huge jump but 15-20% (1700 to 2000 passmark single core perf.)

So you're spending $50 you may not have if you had just jumped to EPYC to see if it works, which could potentially save many hundreds.
I'm considering NVME/SSD. I just figure if I'm going to spend that much to get 4TB of solid state, I might as well look at upgrading the processing too.

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017

My current MB also doesn't have NVME slots, just SATA ports. I know there is some improvement with SSD on SATA, but not as much as NVME. Seems like a SATA 4TB SSD would be a waste and I'd be better off getting a new MB and using NVME.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Most motherboards don't have NVME slots or ports, you need to use a PCIE NVME HBA or PCIE NVME ADAPTER like a Funtin adapter to convert PCIE to 2.5" nvme.

Check out Ebay, a 4TB used enterprise drive sells for around $225-300 depending on the drive, and 2TB are now 125-200 depending on drive and condition. I've seen 7-8TB NEW Intel Enterprise NVME on ebay for 350-380$ too. Prices have come down A LOT.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I'm considering NVME/SSD. I just figure if I'm going to spend that much to get 4TB of solid state, I might as well look at upgrading the processing too.
:confused: What do you mean spend that much?
slap something like this on each sockets lanes if you don't want to deal with adapters to u.2

If the motherboard doesnt have UEFI drivers for nvme that just means you can't boot from them.

There are plenty of pcie to u.2 adapters available, something with many ports like this, would require bifurcation support.

Reactions: T_Minus

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
Most motherboards don't have NVME slots or ports, you need to use a PCIE NVME HBA or PCIE NVME ADAPTER like a Funtin adapter to convert PCIE to 2.5" nvme.

Check out Ebay, a 4TB used enterprise drive sells for around $225-300 depending on the drive, and 2TB are now 125-200 depending on drive and condition. I've seen 7-8TB NEW Intel Enterprise NVME on ebay for 350-380$ too. Prices have come down A LOT.
I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me, as I actually have one of those in my TrueNAS server... Too many things on my mind I guess.

Reactions: T_Minus