EPYC Rome VS EPYC Milan for Vmware Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I wanted to refresh my home lab servers from current E5-2680v2 to an EPYC based servers that can run Vsphere 7 or later.
My questions is, how much difference in performance do Milan have VS Rome when it is used mainly for ESXi Virtualization ?

How about power consumptions of the 2 different generation cpu ? Currently my server each consume about 150W during normal operation and can burst to almost 300W when I ran windows update on all the vm for example. Any power savings can be considered long term benefit :)

Milan pricing is significantly higher when compared to Rome, for example I can get the 7742 (64Core 256Mb Cache) for $1K, while 7543 (32Core 256Mb Cache) its half the core count but cost about $1.6K

Do you gain much more performance with Milan ?? I am planning to replace my 4 x dual E5-2680v2 setup with only 2 x single CPU EPYC servers and very curious about the performance differences between Milan and Rome

I did look online for benchmark comparison, but most are synthetic bench and they are not exactly the same CPU model I listed above.

Your insight and feedback on this is well appreciated.

Thanks

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
Milan is about 20% faster than Rome across similar SKUs. Milan idles worse (the IOD is more sophisticated), but you might be able to replace a 64c Rome with a 48c Milan at similar performance and save some power under load.