Epyc NVME 7443P

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
Out of curiosity @lihp are you the other 7443p aside from mine testing on Passmark? I hit 62,999 the other day. Wondering what configs you've tried if we're 7443p buddies.
Yes its me. Actually it is only today that I realized I am below optimal benchmarks with ~60,000 points. I was always benchmarking in performance, not power,.... Or maybe its due to me using Rhel 8.4,... not so sure.

Care to share your settings? Bios and OS?

PS: just saw your benchmarks - nice one, so please share :)

Last edited:

zachsandberg

Jul 10, 2021
Houston, Texas
So, I should start off by explaining that I ordered this SR655 from Lenovo without disks (2x NVMe backplanes only), and am waiting for them to come back in stock for shipment, so all testing I've done so far is off live USB images. I've tried a half dozen distros, but the one I've had best results with is Ubuntu 21.04. In the BIOS, I have the server set in Performance mode as opposed to power saving. In Linux I set the frequency governor manually to performance as well.

When my disks come I will be installing FreeBSD 13 and copying over all my VMs and Jails from my old build and can hopefully post some disk related benchmarks.

Last edited:
Reactions: nasbdh9

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
So, I should start off by explaining that I ordered this SR655 from Lenovo without disks (2x NVMe backplanes only), and am waiting for them to come back in stock for shipment, so all testing I've done so far is off live USB images.
I am right now on the Samsung Pro 980 + HDDs. I am also waiting for my NVME drives - still - a pita.

I've tried a half dozen distros, but the one I've had best results with is Ubuntu 21.04.
Good to know - I will be reinstalling anyway once my NVMEs arrive, so I will give Ubuntu Server as well as ArchLinux a shot - maybe also Fedora. Lets see where my benchmarks go by then.

In the BIOS, I have the server set in Performance mode as opposed to power saving. In Linux I set the frequency governor manually to performance as well.
Sure same here - yet, I just saw the doc from the other thread - some infos I didnt have. So I figure there is potential left in my case.

When my disks come I will be installing FreeBSD 13 and copying over all my VMs and Jails from my old build and can hopefully post some disk related benchmarks.
Great that makes three of us with @jpmomo into disk benchmarks - What kind of NVMEs you get?

zachsandberg

Jul 10, 2021
Houston, Texas
What kind of NVMEs you get?
I'm getting Intel S4600 drives. I know they're PCIe Gen 3, but I've already spent too much on this build to go with gen 4.0 drives at this time.

I'm very interested in your further performance testing. I'm sure there are some nice optimizations to unlock somewhere, but it's hard for me at the moment to play with these while testing off a USB.

Reactions: lihp

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
wiredzone is also showing some milans in stock. I will post this in the other thread as well as some folks in the US have been trying to find these. The one big caveat is that wiredzone has shown some of these to be in stock before only to change the status and give a refund!

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
just tried to confirm with wirezone on the milan cpus and they pulled my order again! Oh well! I do already have a dell r7525 with 2 x 7413 milans that I am selling on ebay and may list here at a better price. I don't like the way some of the vendors lock the new epyc cpus and I prefer to build my own servers with custom cases. It seems like that is one way to get the milans in the US is to buy a whole server! Even those are taking some time. I am asking the wiredzone rep to confirm the pm9a3 just to make sure that at least the ssd is actually in stock.

zachsandberg

Jul 10, 2021
Houston, Texas
One good thing about buying a CTO system from someone like Lenovo is that the 7443P is under retail price in the configurator by more than $200 at this time. Lenovo also uses a proper 2U heatsink in their SR665/655 systems. I do believe that this CPU is locked now, but tbh I don't foresee this being something that really affects me down the road.

7443p.png

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
just tried to confirm with wirezone on...
Wiredzone is unfortunately no option for me. Still thank you alot. I placed my third order now on 4x Kioxia CM6-V 3.2TB drives, which *should* arrive Friday/Saturday. So now I should be good.

(Kinda sick how much money is parked now at partners just to get 4 high end drives... And reading forums, Mila CPUs are even worse... by now - figure I was lucky.)

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
got the pm9a3 1.6tb from wiredzone today. was just under $400usd including tax. It was shipped direct from supermicro. I think wiredzone has some sort of partnership with supermicro. the sales rep mentioned something about supermicro not updating their milan inventory properly and that is why wiredzone was showing them in stock. There is also someone on ebay with the pm9a3 3.84TB for around $640usd and has several of them.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I'm about to join the 7443P & PCIe4.0 NVMe benchmarking crew.

Got 2x 1.6TB PM1735 and 4x 1.9TB PM9A3 to go with the 7443P.

The machine will eventually be running Win10 bare-metal (yep, for a Win-only high-IO task), but happy to benchmark on other platforms for comparison's sake.

EPYC7443P.jpg

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
also note that these prices seem to be fluctuating as well as the in stock availability. shopblt may not charge sales tax in some states so might wind up being a little cheaper.

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
I'm now trying to find a decent solution for connecting PCIe4.0 U.2 drives to my motherboard via the PCI slots at Gen4 link speed...

ectoplasmosis

Jul 28, 2021
Dual rank/bank x4 DIMMs so I am actually using 8 memory channels with 4 modules. Meaning it takes advantage of the full bandwidth.
I tested this theory, and it doesn't work with 8-channel EPYC CPUs.

Both my 7302P Rome and 7443P Milan only reach full memory bandwidth potential with all 8 slots populated, regardless of using single or dual rank modules.