EPYC Naples (gen1) CPU on latest H12SSL SP3 motherboard work?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
My end goal is to have the current supermicro H12SSL motherboard with a EPYC Milan zen3 CPU that might launch in a few months. But I need something to hold me off until Milan is released, so is it possible to throw in a cheap zen1 CPU to this motherboard?

I know that a zen2 epyc rome is possible with last gen H11SSL, but how about the other way around?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Well, Asus KRPA-U16 does not support Naples CPUs. At least according to Asus support, so take that with a grain of salt.
But there is no technical reason why Naples support must be included on Rome boards.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
I would like to also check on that. Are we able to use Naples CPUs on a H12SSL? According to this thread, there is no motherboard that supports 3 versions of EYPC:

This is really weird, after all just like intel, AMD platforms are also limited to support 2 generations and it is more confusing now since they all have the same name.
the limiting factor here is the size of bios chip.
all epyc generations are the same regarding the socket.
but the amount of MB size of bios chip is limited.

this has nothing to do with Amd.
it is mainboard manufacturer responsibility to add support for all 3 gen's at the same time

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
for naples the BIOS needs microcodes and the NaplesPI/Agesa.
if the manutacturer does not provide a BIOS with naples support, naples is not supported.
there may some other reasons that impede naples support like the connection CPU<>BMC.
Rome/Milan have extra lanes(WAFL) for BMC connection, Naples use still one of the PCIe lanes.
if the mainboard use WAFL lanes Naples can not work because lack of WAFL.

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
the asrock rack romed6 supports all 3 BUT you need the older bios to get the naples gen to work. you need the newer bios to support the rome and milan. It might be hard to get the older bios now but it was possible and I have all 3 generations working with 3 of the same mb.

perpetualrabbit

Apr 2, 2023
I do not believe zen1 will work in a H12SSL or H12DSL board until someone actually demonstrates it. And no funky adapted BIOS. Just a normal bios from the supermicro site.
Too many people just shout: "it should work". Yes, in theory maybe. But does it actually work?
Also, H12 boards have pcie 4.0 and H11 only has pcie 3.0 which would for me be the main reason to choose it.
But do Zen1 CPUs support pci4.0? Is the PCIe version dependant on the CPU?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany

perpetualrabbit

Apr 2, 2023
No (https://www.amd.com/en/products/epyc-7000-series)

Yes. The pcie slots connect directly to the cpu socket (should be documented in the block diagram of the mainboards) Example: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/EPYC7000/MNL-2314.pdf, Figure 1-3

Edit: link to h12ssl manual
Ok, there you have it then. Even in theory H12 should not support a Zen1 CPU. It would have been a handy backwards compatibility option indeed.
But who knows, maybe someone can still demonstrate that it actually does work, and Zen1 CPU lets all the PCIe slots in the H12 board operate as PCIe 3.0. Not saying that is possible but it is conceivable.
I doubt either the board or the CPU will break in this experiment, so is there anyone willing to try it out?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
a Rome/Milan CPU can be configured to work with only PCIe 3.0 on ever SP3 motherboard. it will drop down to PCIe 3.0 if the Card not supports 4.0
in theory in will work, but you need a BIOS with Naples support.
edit:
used the Supermicro IPMI BIOS file listing
searched for "h12ssl" and got 4 entries showing H12SSL opened with AMIBCP they show H11SSL inside.
filename is H12SSL0.819

Last edited: