EPYC Hangs at POST Code 78

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
I have to be missing something stupid at this point right? I checked this thread and a bunch of other places over the past week and I'm still stuck.

I bought two EPYC 7551 on eBay, a Supermicro H11DSi, and a 16x8GB kit of 2666 ECC Reg.

No matter what I do, it always hangs on POST code 78 (ACPI module initialization).

I ordered a single socket Asus board from Amazon, hangs at 78 also. I bought a second set of 7551 CPUs, no change. The first set was older I guess and didn't have the EPYC logo on the IHS, the second set does. I saw some that say Dell-only, so I was thinking maybe the early revisions were only supported on Dell boards like some of the ES chips.

I tried single memory sticks, every single stick in the kit individually both in single and dual CPU configurations, tried the CPUs individually, tried a few different PSUs (Corsair RM850x, RM650x, EVGA 1kw G+), tried disabling onboard VGA, removing watchdog jumper, every Supermicro BIOS version I could find, still no dice.

RAM is Kingston KSM26RS8/8MEI. Not on SM's tested compatibility list, but the board is on Kingston's list for this kit. Also tried another 2133 kit. Booting with no RAM throws the expected memory error.

Socket pins are perfect, and it doesn't make a difference if I torque to AMD specs, tighten all the way down, or just catch the first thread and let the heatsinks hold the CPUs down.

Also let it sit at 78 for like an hour in case it wanted to take an extra long time to boot, no dice.

And it's sitting on a cardboard box so there's no chance of a short anywhere.

On the ASUS board, the onboard HDD LED stays on. And when I plugged in a WX 3100 GPU, the fan never spins up on any PCIe slot.

I have two more H11-DSi boards from Amazon just incoming, but I'm not expecting them to solve the problem at this point. The only other thing I can think of is hitting Microcenter tomorrow because they have some sticks from SM's tested RAM list.

*Edit: Guess I just got two bad pairs of CPUs from eBay. Everything else tested and working great. Or is EPYC 7001 just insanely picky with RAM? All of my RAM kits work fine with some 7282 I bought for testing.

Last edited:

KaHaR

Mar 1, 2017
From what I found from my searching, post code 78 could indicate a USB device issue--do you have any USB devices attached to these motherboards? If so, try removing all of them (including the keyboard/mouse/etc.)

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
USB in or out didn't change behavior. I tried everything.

I returned the CPUs since the retail ones I bought are working just fine.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Oh damn, screw Dell! There is no system security related reason to burn a kill switch into the CPU. I can understand the Dell MB's not recognizing non-Dell sourced CPU's, but the other way around is nuts.