EPYC for SMB, Looking for suggestions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dhodgson

Jul 9, 2020
I've been on the E5-2600v4 platform for too long. Time to get an EPYC server (DIY or OEM, doesn't matter).

What are some good options for a single-socket 8xLFF+ 2U-4U server? Primary use will be as an NVR for storing 24 hour video footage.

Dell and HPE are making it kind of hard to find what I'm looking for. I see some interesting options from Supermicro (AS -2014CS-TR, but it's CSO?) and Gigabyte (R272-Z30), but it'd be great to get some more ideas (in particular, maybe some clear direction on relevant options from OEMs).

Also, dumb question but do I have to use a P-series SKU in a single-socket server, or will anything from the EPYC lineup work?

lihp

Jan 2, 2021
I've been on the E5-2600v4 platform for too long. Time to get an EPYC server (DIY or OEM, doesn't matter).
If it is for you personally I would always go for DIY. Just because you know exactly what you did and it enables you to do repairs and upgrades easily for yourself. In my case I "feel" more attached to a DIY machine. The workstation I am using right now was OEM and ... it still feels more like an unwanted evil stepchild - I do what I need to do and sometimes not even that.

What are some good options for a single-socket 8xLFF+ 2U-4U server? Primary use will be as an NVR for storing 24 hour video footage.
DELL (PowerEdge R7515 + PowerVault MD1400_JBOD), HP (no idea ;) ), Lenovo (eg. SR6xx series with an additional JBOD Storage case like D1212) for prebuilt, Supermicro (AS2013/2014), TYAN (no clue) for OEM/DIY servers and self-built for pure DIY.

When it comes to bang for bucks and reliability its imho always Supermicro: prebuilt and DIY. Also I'd always choose Supermicro prebuilt over others. On the contrary: when I am working for a company for time its always HP, DELL, Lenovo: because if something goes awkward it's their fault.

For my own use professionally or private I always feel the big three being a rip-off: too much cost for mediocre output. You basically pay their service up, even if you didn't order it or never use it.

Also, dumb question but do I have to use a P-series SKU in a single-socket server, or will anything from the EPYC lineup work?
Anything from the Epyc lineup works. The P ending only means that you cant use the CPU in a dual socket system. You can only use it as a single socket system.

Pro-Tip - servers: If going DIY, then don't use "consumer" or "workstation" companies like Gigabyte, ASRock,... even Asus is imho not the way to go - especially on motherboards. Instead go Supermicro or Tyan for motherboards. Make sure to comply to their compatibility lists and know exactly where you may deviate (eg. in RAM you can use the Kingston configurator by entering the system or the motherboard type on their website).

Last edited:
Reactions: servethenudist

dhodgson

Jul 9, 2020
Thanks for the input! I've been using Supermicro and Dell for clients for some time now, moving to EPYC is both for my own personal uses and for my clients. R7515 and AS2013/2014 look like a perfect fit for my needs.

Reactions: lihp