Epyc barebones (4 nodes in 2u,4u) where to begin

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I am looking at building my own epyc Vsa cluster using 4 nodes. I finally found CPUs for sale. But cannot find barebones anywhere or boards. Supermicro is got their 4 nodes, 2u boxes. But they claim due to the complexity of the system you need to buy from a system integrator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I am looking at building my own epyc Vsa cluster using 4 nodes. I finally found CPUs for sale. But cannot find barebones anywhere or boards. Supermicro is got their 4 nodes, 2u boxes. But they claim due to the complexity of the system you need to buy from a system integrator.

Spelling mistake Vsa = vsan

Joel

Jan 30, 2015

I suspect that because EPYC is bleeding edge, they're wanting top dollar for those boxes. Even buying 1 2P node in 2U has the same problem. Could buy motherboard and 2u chassis and self build, but then finding a 2u SP3 heatsink becomes an issue.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
I suspect that because EPYC is bleeding edge, they're wanting top dollar for those boxes. Even buying 1 2P node in 2U has the same problem. Could buy motherboard and 2u chassis and self build, but then finding a 2u SP3 heatsink becomes an issue.
Why would amd allow this. It's so easy to build anything Intel these days.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
In this case the blame should be placed squarely at SM's door.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as an idea. SM pricing on EPYC CPUs is not too bad usually. I have bought both EPYC and Skylake CPUs from SM directly before I could get them from Newegg. And I do not get a discount.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Just as an idea. SM pricing on EPYC CPUs is not too bad usually. I have bought both EPYC and Skylake CPUs from SM directly before I could get them from Newegg. And I do not get a discount.
I guess I'm a dumb little child. But I always saw that SM prices were 30-50% more then building myself. Even when purchasing vsan licences.