Epyc 7002/Rome boards - some new ones coming soon! (Supermicro, Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, Tyan)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I’m a bit confused about the timing of these new boards. Epyc Rome (Zen2) chips were announced nearly a year ago. Epyc Milan (Zen3) is expected within the next couple of months. Either these new boards are way late to the Rome party or they are compatible with Milan/Zen3.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
I’m a bit confused about the timing of these new boards. Epyc Rome (Zen2) chips were announced nearly a year ago. Epyc Milan (Zen3) is expected within the next couple of months. Either these new boards are way late to the Rome party or they are compatible with Milan/Zen3.
almost certain they will, Milan from all the leaks looks very similar to rome but on 7nm+ with higher ipc, but same amount of cores and tdp. leaks even say sp3 compatible.

Reactions: LenE and TXAG26

gabe-a

Sep 10, 2020
i am curious about VRM-temps when using dual epyc 7742 at 100% full load, without overclocking ??

rigth now using dual 7742 on h11dsi-nt rev.2.board at 100% full load of cpu's and getting cpuVRM to 100°C without any modification to the system.
Same here, exactly the same situation. Also I am collecting reports (there are apparently a lot!) from different users experiencing the same thing. This motherboard is garbage, class-action lawsuit-level garbage. And the supermicro support are... well...

jpmomo

Aug 12, 2018
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a barebones chassis for the MZ72-HBO motherboardwith adequate power supply for 2x amd zen 64 core CPUs?
do you already have that mb or are you trying to find a compatible chassis first?

mlangenheim

Mar 18, 2021
I already have the MZ72-HBO. I was thinking of getting a Supermicro CSE-747BTQ-R2K04B 4U but I’ve read that the layout of the MZ72-HBO is better suited for a 2U server chassis.

I figured that it may be alright in the 4U tower chassis if I put in a couple of Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Premium CPU Coolers though. Do you think that would be sufficient cooling?

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
I already have the MZ72-HBO. I was thinking of getting a Supermicro CSE-747BTQ-R2K04B 4U but I’ve read that the layout of the MZ72-HBO is better suited for a 2U server chassis.

I figured that it may be alright in the 4U tower chassis if I put in a couple of Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Premium CPU Coolers though. Do you think that would be sufficient cooling?
Noctua coolers will blow air up/down so more suitable for desktop case than rack but it will still work as long as you have enough airflow out of the case

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
U14s doesn't fit into 4u. You would need the NH-U9 variants for that. Or a bigger case ;)

Reactions: mlangenheim

mlangenheim

Mar 18, 2021
@mirrormax

I’ve put together this MZ72-HBO build but it isn’t posting. Any ideas?

Can you or others find any reasons why it is not posting?

The fans all turn on and I can see green lights on the mobo indicating that the BMC and IPMI are active.

The lights on the Lan ports light up when I connect a laptop to the back Ethernet ports.

Here are the Specifications of the build:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte MZ72-HBO (Rev 1.1)

Link to motherboard manual:

Link to Gigabyte website for motherboard information:

CPUs:
2x AMD Epyc Rome 64 core
(128 core total)
CPU Part # ZS1406E2VJUG5

Link to CPU info:

RAM:
16x 16GB DDR4 3200 (256GB total)
Samsung 1x 16GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM PC4-25600R Dual Rank x8 Module
Part# M393A2K43DB3-CWEBY

Link to Samsung website for info about ram:

SSD:
Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3D NAND

Cooling:
2x Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3, for AMD sTRX4/TR4/SP3

Chassis:
Supermicro SC747BTQ-R2K02B 4U Barebone Supermicro SC747BTQ-R2K02B 4U BareboneW/ Dual Power Supplies (PWS-204A-1R) 8x Tray

Link to chassis manual:

Power Supplies:
2x model - PWS-2K04A-1R
80Plus Titanium
(1x of the power supplies is a redundant supply.)

Link to the data sheet for the power supplies:

So far I have tried...

1. Removing all of the Ram and putting only one reseated Dimm per cpu in the DIMM#1 position

2. Plugging directly into the wall.

3. Reseating both CPUs and reapplying thermal paste

4. I tried an old Radeon gpu to get video rather than the onboard vga because when reading the Gigabyte MZ72-HBO manual the mobo’s VGA is referred to as “loop thru” and might be a VGA Input?

I’m not sure if the power supply has enough power. I purchased some power cables because the power supplies that were included with the Supermicro 4u chassis that I purchased did not include any power cables.

Here are some details about the two power cables that I went ahead and bought for the power supplies to replace the missing power cables.

Power cable details:
16 AWG gauge conductors
13 amp / 1625 Watt rated NEMA to IEC cables with standard NEMA 15-5-P grounded power plug s and 3 pin shrouded female IEC-320-C13 connectors.

They are SJT 13A/300V rated.

I think the power supplies might be power switching? If they are power switching then with the setup I have I might only need an input of 1000W: 100-127Vac/12.5-9.5A?

I put more details about the PSUsbelow.

Power Supplies:
2x PWS-2K04A-1R 80Plus Titanium
(1x is redundant.)

Power Supply Input Characteristics:

RATED VOLTAGE / CURRENT
1000W: 100-127Vac/12.5-9.5A
1800W: 200-220Vac/10-9.5A
1980W: 220-230Vac/10-9.8A
2000W: 230-240Vac/10-9.8A
2000W: 200-240Vac/11.8-9.8A (for UL/cUL use only)

RATED FREQUENCY
50-60HZ

INRUSH CURRENT
Less than 30A

POWER FACTOR
0.98 @ max load (Typical)

INLET CONNECTOR:
IEC-60320-C14

One more thing that I wasn’t sure about was if the front panel connectors could cause the server to not post if they were not placed into the correct pins on the motherboard.

I bought a Supermicro breakout cable in order to configure the cables into the gigabyte motherboard since the Supermicro chassis had its own front panel connector that needed to breakout in order to configure the front panel pins onto the motherboard. Has it ever been known to cause a server to not post by have the front panel header inappropriately configured?

I did read the motherboard manual for the front panel configuration but wasn’t certain that I had it right.

I think that I have placed ram in the correct dimm slots? They are lettered in the manual and according to the manual I think i have one in dimm slot #1 for each CPU.

Can anyone confirm that the Motherboard has VGA input only and no VGA out?

One more thing about the build is that there is a Supermicro backplane for SAS in the chassis but I am not using it and have unplugged it. I am just using the M.2 SSD for now. Though it doesn’t have any OS on it yet since it isn’t loaded yet as I haven’t been able to get to the bios screen or post.

Thank you very much for any time in considering what the issues may be in this build.

I will be truly grateful for any good ideas!

Thank you.

Last edited:

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020

thats not good, they made a new revision for milan, hope that dosnt mean the rev1 boards cant be bios updated.

asrock has bios updates for their rome boards already

mlangenheim

Mar 18, 2021

thats not good, they made a new revision for milan, hope that dosnt mean the rev1 boards cant be bios updated.

asrock has bios updates for their rome boards already
I haven’t tried updating the bios. Is there a guide in serve the home or a good one somewhere that you know of that shows how to upgrade a mobo bios when you can’t post?

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
@mirrormax

I’ve put together this MZ72-HBO build but it isn’t posting. Any ideas?

Can you or others find any reasons why it is not posting?

The fans all turn on and I can see green lights on the mobo indicating that the BMC and IPMI are active.

The lights on the Lan ports light up when I connect a laptop to the back Ethernet ports.

Here are the Specifications of the build:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte MZ72-HBO (Rev 1.1)

Link to motherboard manual:

Link to Gigabyte website for motherboard information:

CPUs:
2x AMD Epyc Rome 64 core
(128 core total)
CPU Part # ZS1406E2VJUG5

Link to CPU info:

RAM:
16x 16GB DDR4 3200 (256GB total)
Samsung 1x 16GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM PC4-25600R Dual Rank x8 Module
Part# M393A2K43DB3-CWEBY

Link to Samsung website for info about ram:

SSD:
Western Digital WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3D NAND

Cooling:
2x Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3, for AMD sTRX4/TR4/SP3

Chassis:
Supermicro SC747BTQ-R2K02B 4U Barebone Supermicro SC747BTQ-R2K02B 4U BareboneW/ Dual Power Supplies (PWS-204A-1R) 8x Tray

Link to chassis manual:

Power Supplies:
2x model - PWS-2K04A-1R
80Plus Titanium
(1x of the power supplies is a redundant supply.)

Link to the data sheet for the power supplies:

So far I have tried...

1. Removing all of the Ram and putting only one reseated Dimm per cpu in the DIMM#1 position

2. Plugging directly into the wall.

3. Reseating both CPUs and reapplying thermal paste

4. I tried an old Radeon gpu to get video rather than the onboard vga because when reading the Gigabyte MZ72-HBO manual the mobo’s VGA is referred to as “loop thru” and might be a VGA Input?

I’m not sure if the power supply has enough power. I purchased some power cables because the power supplies that were included with the Supermicro 4u chassis that I purchased did not include any power cables.

Here are some details about the two power cables that I went ahead and bought for the power supplies to replace the missing power cables.

Power cable details:
16 AWG gauge conductors
13 amp / 1625 Watt rated NEMA to IEC cables with standard NEMA 15-5-P grounded power plug s and 3 pin shrouded female IEC-320-C13 connectors.

They are SJT 13A/300V rated.

I think the power supplies might be power switching? If they are power switching then with the setup I have I might only need an input of 1000W: 100-127Vac/12.5-9.5A?

I put more details about the PSUsbelow.

Power Supplies:
2x PWS-2K04A-1R 80Plus Titanium
(1x is redundant.)

Power Supply Input Characteristics:

RATED VOLTAGE / CURRENT
1000W: 100-127Vac/12.5-9.5A
1800W: 200-220Vac/10-9.5A
1980W: 220-230Vac/10-9.8A
2000W: 230-240Vac/10-9.8A
2000W: 200-240Vac/11.8-9.8A (for UL/cUL use only)

RATED FREQUENCY
50-60HZ

INRUSH CURRENT
Less than 30A

POWER FACTOR
0.98 @ max load (Typical)

INLET CONNECTOR:
IEC-60320-C14

One more thing that I wasn’t sure about was if the front panel connectors could cause the server to not post if they were not placed into the correct pins on the motherboard.

I bought a Supermicro breakout cable in order to configure the cables into the gigabyte motherboard since the Supermicro chassis had its own front panel connector that needed to breakout in order to configure the front panel pins onto the motherboard. Has it ever been known to cause a server to not post by have the front panel header inappropriately configured?

I did read the motherboard manual for the front panel configuration but wasn’t certain that I had it right.

I think that I have placed ram in the correct dimm slots? They are lettered in the manual and according to the manual I think i have one in dimm slot #1 for each CPU.

Can anyone confirm that the Motherboard has VGA input only and no VGA out?

One more thing about the build is that there is a Supermicro backplane for SAS in the chassis but I am not using it and have unplugged it. I am just using the M.2 SSD for now. Though it doesn’t have any OS on it yet since it isn’t loaded yet as I haven’t been able to get to the bios screen or post.

Thank you very much for any time in considering what the issues may be in this build.

I will be truly grateful for any good ideas!

Thank you.
wierd didnt see this post at first, you need to connect to the IPMI first and see what it says, iam not sure if those ZS1406E2VJUG5 early ES cpus work on the newer AGESA, i feel like i read somewhere in the overclock thread that they dont work on latest agesa, but maybe better ask there.
either way you should be able to get into ipmi to see some error msgs.

mlangenheim

Mar 18, 2021
wierd didnt see this post at first, you need to connect to the IPMI first and see what it says, iam not sure if those ZS1406E2VJUG5 early ES cpus work on the newer AGESA, i feel like i read somewhere in the overclock thread that they dont work on latest agesa, but maybe better ask there.
either way you should be able to get into ipmi to see some error msgs.
Trouble is is that I don’t know the I.p. Adress for my motherboard. It doesn’t seem to pull up anything under https://0.0.0.0 and I tried running this Supermicro I.p. search tool from my laptop but either I’m using it wrong or it isn’t working.

Software Download

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Trouble is is that I don’t know the I.p. Adress for my motherboard. It doesn’t seem to pull up anything under https://0.0.0.0 and I tried running this Supermicro I.p. search tool from my laptop but either I’m using it wrong or it isn’t working.

Software Download
Check the DHCP server on your network to see if it shows an IP assigned to it. The IPMI should have automatically grabbed an IP address from your local network/router.

mlangenheim

Mar 18, 2021
Check the DHCP server on your network to see if it shows an IP assigned to it. The IPMI should have automatically grabbed an IP address from your local network/router.
@TXAG26 Thank you for the tip. I was able to find the i.p address that way and log into the IPMI.

THE IPMI logs look normal, just showing power on and off events and the CPUs are showing up just fine in the servers inventory and look normal although one of them does say that it was automatically throttled. Otherwise they look just fine. So now I am wondering how to get to the bios and I’m also wondering if the VGA on the board might be an input because the motherboard’s manual lists it as an input. Reading the diagram in the manual it says “VGA Port” but further on down in the manual it is listed as an input.

I think I am going to try installing a vga card into one of the pci-e slots. Maybe that will work?

The motherboard apparently has the following Management Console: AMI Megarac SP-X BMC firmware. I’m not sure how that works in terms of the bios with this motherboard. When I click on bios in the Megarac BMC it just takes me to a blank page. Can I get to the bios through the Megarac bmc somehow? I’m not sure where to go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXAG26

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
got a confirmation from gigabyte that the MZ72-HB0 rev-1x can use the rev3 M02_R09 bios for milan support, so the only difference i can see between rev1/3 is it comes flashed, and they also said its a dual rome/milan bios. it was a bit confusing because their webpage dosnt list the milan bios under the rev1 page.

Reactions: alex_stief