Environment StartUp Problems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
Good Morning,

I've had a nagging and sporadic problem with my environment, that I've finally decided to tackle, however I'm not sure how to proceed.

When my system has a power outage or any kind of power disruption where all nodes are rebooted, none of the Windows Server Hypervisors, or windows servers are accessible through RDP upon reboot, and all show connected to an unidentified network. I believe this is because the Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials VM has not fully booted yet, and none of the servers know they are on a domain, due to the Essentials box running dhcp and dns. On node 1, where the Essentials server is located, i have a delayed start to the other VMs, which works just fine, however the hypervisor still shows it is on an unidentified network.

The only fix is to go into each hypervisor and individual vm, and disable/enable the NIC to find the network again.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

My setup is as follows:
1x 6100 (4 node)
- 3 nodes configured as Windows Server 2012 R2 Hypervisors
- 1 node as replication node

1x HP P4300 G2 SAN (8TB)

Node 1
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials
- All main essentials functions running domain
- DHCP
- DNS
- Linux Server
- Torrent Server (windows server)
- various other windows servers

Node 2
- Secondary Domain Controller (windows server 2012 r2)
- Plex Server (windows)
- various other servers

Node 3
- Sophos XG
- Linux Servers

Node 4
- Replication

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
Well first of all, all your nodes,/hypervisors must have static ip.
You cannot have dhcp on them.
If the servers have multiple nics, dedicate one for admin interface and put static ip on it.
This way all your hv wilp come up normally and keep the network. Now on windows you can setup a secondary profile pn the nic to also be a static ip pointing to same ip you want the vm to have. This way if dhcp is not there vm can still boot up properly and join network. Linux should just reconnect as soon as proper network is found I think.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
All of my windows servers, including the Hypervisors have a static VM. I still have the "unidentified network" issue if they boot before DHCP has come up.

mason736

Mar 17, 2013
To follow up on this thread, does anyone know how, or have the expertise to write a script that I can run as a scheduled task, that would check the status of a particular NIC on my Server2012R2 Hypervisors, and if it finds the NIC is connected to "unidentified network", the script will disable/re-enable the NIC, which will then allow it to connect to the domain?

When we have a power outage, which is getting more frequent lately, I have to disable, re-enable the mgmt NICs on my Hyperviors, as the DHCP comes up after the hypervisors have started.