Entertaining the idea of an "unusual" storage setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Morning (where I am) folks.

I've been itching to make some changes to my home setup, specifically the storage side of things. One of the main drivers of the change, is that I'm running out of storage and need more... :) as is usual.

I've a single Supermicro 847 36 bay chassis (1620w platinum PSU) holding my storage for now, totaling about 40TB right now (mix of drives). I don't do ZFS or tiered storage or anything like that for this setup. This is strictly media storage, with disk pooling (I use Stablebit Drivepool).

I spin down drives when not in use, but even with that, this server idles at ~ 70w with all drives spun down. This is the MB/CPU/RAM/HBA/Backplanes/Expanders all combined. While this is not bad, I've been rethinking how we consume this. Since we had twin boys last Sep (yay!) we've been watching a lot less media, and the server probably sees <2 hours of use a day, and idles for the rest 22 hours.

I've been experimenting with S3 sleep on the storage server, so that it sleeps most of the time, and only wakes up on a magic packet, when needed. (Kodi front ends, which can easily do this). This works really nice now, and the server is sleeping 22 hours, consuming ~3-4 watts.

I want to improve this further. One of the downsides of the current setup is that once you select a media to play, the entire server (and all 36 disks) wake up, even if all you want to do is play a single movie.

What I wanna do is, "slice" this into multiple systems, each holding 4-6 drives at max, and all of them set for S3 sleep, so that when you play media, only "one" of these servers is gonna wake up (and consequently only 4-6 drives, not everything). I have a whole bunch of hardware and chassis' to play with, I'm just trying to think this through to see if it makes sense.

Thoughts?

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
sounds like a lot of trouble for a little bit of power savings.
going from one to many boxes, splitting your media up, dealing with backing up more stuff.

Reactions: Jeggs101

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
to piggyback on marcoi, "multiple" S3 boxes at 3-4w each consume more than your one machine in s3 as it sits now.

kapone

May 23, 2015
sounds like a lot of trouble for a little bit of power savings.
going from one to many boxes, splitting your media up, dealing with backing up more stuff.
It's not so much about power savings, but wear and tear on the drives. Waking up 36 drives (and more in the future) to play media from a single drive seems...well... too much? There has to be a better way.

kapone

May 23, 2015
to piggyback on marcoi, "multiple" S3 boxes at 3-4w each consume more than your one machine in s3 as it sits now.
That 3-4 watts is with the Supermicro 1620w platinum (fan running all the time). With typical desktop/server lower power PSUs, that number is more like 1w.

That said, again, the power efficiency is not the primary driver, although if it drops, I won't complain.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
ok, Can we take another route and see a list of the size/quantity of your drives? it might make more sense to upgrade to 5-6 8tb drives vice 20x 2-3tb drives... Assuming here ;)

Reactions: Jeggs101

kapone

May 23, 2015
ok, Can we take another route and see a list of the size/quantity of your drives? it might make more sense to upgrade to 5-6 8tb drives vice 20x 2-3tb drives... Assuming here ;)
Yeah, that's right at the ball park. A whole bunch of 1.5TB and 1TB drives.

Don't get me wrong, I HAVE thought about going to bigger disks. That's plan B. But why waste 40TB worth of drives? :)

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
get 4 x 10tb nas drives for new setup. use old drives as backup and only turn them on once a week to backup the other drives.
yeah i know im not being reasonable since the 10tb drives will cost you a small fortune. :)

kapone

May 23, 2015
get 4 x 10tb nas drives for new setup. use old drives as backup and only turn them on once a week to backup the other drives.
yeah i know im not being reasonable since the 10tb drives will cost you a small fortune. :)
Yeah... :) However, I expect my storage needs to double pretty soon. (lots of IP cams now in the house, in addition to media).

kapone

May 23, 2015
easy solution get 8 x 10 tb drives :D
Not cost effective at all.

I have a 42U rack in the basement, and I have zero issues with filling the damn thing up with drives. I don't mind bigger drives, but not at the premium that they typically command.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
another idea -just brain storming here since 8x 10tb is out haha:
is if your back plane for the HDD cages are separate then you can get multi HBA or raid card to run sets of drives. then each set of drives can be different media. I'm assuming you could configure each set to have spin down times. so when you need a media you only access only a set of drives.

IE
SFF port 1 - 8 drive - media tv
SFF port 2 - 6 drives - Media movies
SFF port 3 - 2 drives - IP camera
etc..

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'd run 8TB drives instead of 1TB. That'll save power on spin up. 10's are more expensive per TB. It'll also solve your out of disk space issue.