enterprise for use in laptop

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gefela

Aug 19, 2017
I am considering using a enterprise ssd ( Toshiba HK4R / Kingston DC400 / Intel DC S3520 ) for use in a my laptop ( Lenovo Y50-70 16GB RAM ) , having read my reviews proposing the advantages of having an enterprise ssd over a consumer ssd . The main reason is having a nested esxi image ( < 21 vms ) which will perform better

The question is what do I need to be aware of when I purchase a enterprise ssd ? What will happen over a period of time when used constantly ?

Constructive comments welcome !

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
There are different kinds of enterprise SSD - read centric, mixed use and write intensive.
Those have different amounts of Disk writes they can survive (minimum) before they die(0.3 DWPD to 5 or even 25 DWPD).
Write Intensive drives write data faster than read centric and are more expensive.
Mind the size and connectivity (don't get SAS)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Most laptops are not made for handling the heat of write intensive SSD.
The 'enterprise' geared laptop pulls I see on ebay are mostly the S3500 generations.

I'd buy a S3510 and off you go :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You know I never noticed they get warm with all the fans around the drives cages, but a very valid point :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
New or used? What size? Surprised that the Toshi is the cheapest ...

In the end I'd still look for good write IOPS with 21 active VMs - thats enough to swamp an NVMe drive even with moderate write activity per VM.
O/c less an issue if they are mostly idle, but you have not specified.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I make modular rods starting at 10' for use with kingston drives. If you feel the need to hotplug you can add another 10' length.

gefela

Aug 19, 2017
@ Patriot.
I need the enterprise SSD for internal use only ( unless I misunderstood what you said )

In general , I need a enterprise SSD that would

1. Support 22 VMs over a period of time . ( A minimum of 10 might be switch on at once ) . I would recreate and delete some of these .
2.Which type of SSD would be suitable for this ( A write SSD or a mixed use SSD ) ?

These are my concerns at the moment ..

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
No budget constraints? Intel s3710 1.2tb, the best sata ssd available on the market.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I am considering using a enterprise ssd ( Toshiba HK4R / Kingston DC400 / Intel DC S3520 ) for use in a my laptop ( Lenovo Y50-70 16GB RAM ) , having read my reviews proposing the advantages of having an enterprise ssd over a consumer ssd . The main reason is having a nested esxi image ( < 21 vms ) which will perform better

The question is what do I need to be aware of when I purchase a enterprise ssd ? What will happen over a period of time when used constantly ?

Constructive comments welcome !
Why not upgrade the laptop to one that can handle 2 ssd's instead? you'll see more performance separating os from the vm storage than just an ssd upgrade? I know a lot of the more recent thinkpads can handle dual sata(m.2+2.5) and some nvme+sata

gefela

Aug 19, 2017
@Deslok

I have a HP Proliant server that can also serve the purpose of separating the os from vmware and is in the pipeline .

What I would like moving forward is a good value SSD that can use on my laptop ...

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
@Deslok

I have a HP Proliant server that can also serve the purpose of separating the os from vmware and is in the pipeline .

What I would like moving forward is a good value SSD that can use on my laptop ...

The Mushkin reactor is always my "value" choice http://****/2g1M5LF
But for enterprise performance the intel s35xx and s36xx are better choices, usually not too horrible on ebay

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Another thing to consider when looking at this scenario is most enterprise SSD's are 15mm tall and not all laptops can accept 15MM ssd's.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Most laptops are not made for handling the heat of write intensive SSD.
The 'enterprise' geared laptop pulls I see on ebay are mostly the S3500 generations.

I'd buy a S3510 and off you go :)
Idk... I've been running a pair of 950 Pro m.2 drives in raid0 and an 850 pro in my xeon/64gb ecc Lenovo P50 for two years. When I threw the 950's in there I was expecting heat to be a huge issue, but they've withstood oil field locations/dirt/extreme heat/rain/condensation/the floorboard of my truck without missing a beat!

Maybe we're all just a bunch of worriers :D

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Idk... I've been running a pair of 950 Pro m.2 drives in raid0 and an 850 pro in my xeon/64gb ecc Lenovo P50 for two years. When I threw the 950's in there I was expecting heat to be a huge issue, but they've withstood oil field locations/dirt/extreme heat/rain/condensation/the floorboard of my truck without missing a beat!

Maybe we're all just a bunch of worriers :D
On that note, your laptop is also not "most laptops" ;) most are not multi-thousand dollar business/enterprise grade laptops designed for multiple m2 drives AND additional drives, I'd say your laptop is made to cool these properly ;)

With that said though... the 950 Pro is a not an enterprise drive, and def. not a 'write intensive' one that puts off a lot of heat. (I have a 950 pro in my current workstation actually too.)

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
On that note, your laptop is also not "most laptops" ;) most are not multi-thousand dollar business/enterprise grade laptops designed for multiple m2 drives AND additional drives, I'd say your laptop is made to cool these properly ;)

With that said though... the 950 Pro is a not an enterprise drive, and def. not a 'write intensive' one that puts off a lot of heat. (I have a 950 pro in my current workstation actually too.)
Agreed, but there are two of them stuffed into a tiny little 2.5" drive slot with zero airflow or cooling. While they are by no means enterprise drives, I believe I recall reports of 950 pro m.2's running fairly warm.. Would you not expect a pair of high performance m.2's to run as hot or hotter than a single sata3 write intensive 2.5" enterprise drive?

The laptop was actually a smoking deal. I believe I paid <$1600 with all of the bells and whistles (less the drives of course) new from Lenovo. At the time of purchase they had a phenomenal sale running and being Lenovo they're always willing to knock a bit more off if you call and speak nicely :)