Enabling Xeon iGPU with SUPERMICRO X10SLM+LN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TheBR

Jul 2, 2015
Hi All,
I have a SUPERMICRO X10SLM+LN4F (BIOS 3.2a) with an Intel Xeon E3-1265L V3, I'd like to utilize the igpu and pass it through to a VM for quick sync.

However after making changes to the config to allow PCI passthrough (which is working for a network card i have) and making the necessary adjustment to /etc/modules
Code:
vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

# Modules required for Intel GVT
kvmgt
exngt
vfio-mdev
I can only see:-
Code:
root@pve:~# lspci -nnv | grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family [1a03:2000] (rev 30) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
DeviceName: Onboard VGA
I found a couple of very helpful threads but one in particular seems to fit the bill here (for thread) here (for a specific comment i refer to below)

It says that the VGA port is NOT tied to the intel processor, it is tied to a "BMC" video adapter which i assume is the ASPEED one above.
It then says that we can activate the iGPU by going into the BIOS and configuring:-
Code:
X11SCA-F BIOS settings

Primary Display : PCI
Internal Graphics: Enable

after reboot IGFX GOP Version is populated in BIOS.
However i do note this is for an X11SCA-F and cannot see any similar items in the BIOS for preferring the iGPU other than a single settings with says Onboard or Offboard (IIRC) in terms of which one to prefer for boot. There is not Internal Graphics enable option for example.

Has anyone with expericne of this board managed to utilize the iGPU?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the iGPU( E3-1265L V3) is not powered by the X10SLM+LN4F motherboard.
the VGA port is provided by the BMC chip and is an on board GPU not iGPU.

there are mainboards without display outputs but the iGPU powered, in that case it can be used for decoding i.e.