Enabling VT-d in Proxmox to a Solaris guest

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

churnd

Apr 16, 2011
I have a VMware environment that I use as an all-in-one with a Solaris guest providing storage to the VMware host. This is possible because I can pass through the PCI JBOD controller to the Solaris VM so it will see all the physical disks. It's not an uncommon setup & you can see how I've written about it here & here.

However, I'm getting tired of VMware & it's management bloat. It's not ideal for a small homelab. I want to convert to Proxmox, but I need to figure out the passthrough step.

This is what I've seen: How to...th VT-d in KVM - KVM

Does this still apply to Proxmox? I'm unclear about which steps I'd need to take. I'd need to recompile the kernel?? Hopefully I'd just be able to do steps 4 & down, but wanted to be sure before blowing away my VMware install:

Load the PCI Stub Driver if it is compiled as a module

modprobe pci_stub

lspci -n
locate the entry for device 01:00.0 and note down the vendor & device ID 8086:10b9

01:00.0 0200: 8086:10b9 (rev 06)

echo "8086 10b9" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/new_id
echo 0000:01:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/driver/unbind
echo 0000:01:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/bind

5. load KVM modules:

modprobe kvm
modprobe kvm-intel

6. assign device:

/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512 -boot c -net none -hda /root/ia32e_rhel5u1.img -device pci-assign,host=01:00.0

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
This is what really happens under the hood. I figure proxmox has a fancy point and click gui for this. It's quite easy though.
You could put it in the libvirt XML's manually too.