eMMC Friendly Linux OS & Dell Wyse 3040 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Hello All,

Best Linux OS for an old Dell Wyse 3040 thin client? This little box has an Atom X5-z8350 CPU, 2 GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory, and 16 GB eMMC FLASH. I currently have straight Lubuntu installed, and working pretty well. Saw a few recommendations for Puppy Linux, Ubuntu Server, and ChromeOS as good options for lightweight install & home use. Expect minimal apps for now, and possible home server application someday (files, media, home automation, domain control, etc - storage via NAS, or even external USB drive).

I should note there is no NVME/Sata storage or other expansion capabilities, other than the USB ports & archaic SDIO M.2 slot inside. BTW, also looking for Linux advice on wear leveling & protection for the 16GB eMMC. Will be turning off local logging, mount "/var" and "/tmp" as tmpfs, maybe add ZRAM, SquashFS, etc (protect eMMC life). ...Maybe add a semi-high endurance USB storage mini-thumb drive like Samsung FIT Plus, to unobtrusively plug into one of the USB ports (most SSD drives are way too bulky & expensive for this little box;).

Appreciate your suggestions & experience with lightweight eMMC Linux installs & Wyse 3040.

Best Regards,
ABQ :)

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Do you need a gui at all?

I recently tested a LOT of distros and ended up with just straight debian for tiny linux server duties :D

Reactions: abq and fohdeesha

abq

May 23, 2015
Do you need a gui at all?

I recently tested a LOT of distros and ended up with just straight debian for tiny linux server duties :D
@zer0sum, Thank You for your help & suggestion to drop GUI. ...I am definitely more comfortable with a GUI approach, but GUI is not absolute necessity. Yes, I do like Debian based linux distros too:). I have Ubuntu Server on my short list for 'No GUI' options. I have also thought about removing GUI & dependencies after install, updates, & setup. ...My main concern is an eMMC friendly OS & associated settings, since no clear guides in my simple google searches. Of course also lightweight for simple 3040 box hardware.

abq

May 23, 2015
Bump. ...any suggestions or links for an eMMC friendly OS & associated settings? Thx Much :)

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I'd look at how people do installs on USB if you're worried about flash wearout.

Usually you do things like turn atime off to avoid writing for that metadata; keep root RO and have tempfs for /tmp. There's some clever "persist occasionally" ways to do /home and /var

Reactions: abq

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I've installed the ARM Ubuntu server on eMMC on AMlogic S905X board - it's happily running chrony and Pi-Hole. No issues to report. eMMC on that board is much faster than my old SD cards, so storage performance is ok, but YMMV.

I agree with no GUI on low-powered machines. It takes a bit to get used to, but it's the whole point and worth it in the long run. If you love to see pretty graphs, check out the cockpit project

Reactions: abq