EU EMC VNX KTN-STL3 / 2x Controller 2x PSU 15x 3.5"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
How are you going to use that? Just curious and would like to learn something new :)

Reactions: Samir

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
It exposes both ports of a SAS disk, so it can be connected to two hosts. Using this in my actual big.LITTLE cluster project.

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Hello geeks,
as I see this enclosure should accept EMC 3.5" FC disks (SCA-40) and output is SAS <-> SAS HBA /RAID contrl.
EMC FC 300G/450G/600Gb size disks should be accepted, right ??

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
It exposes both ports of a SAS disk, so it can be connected to two hosts. Using this in my actual big.LITTLE cluster project.
I think Ted is asking, how would someone use this in a regular Intel/AMD server with LSI controllers, or something. Does connect directly via SFF8087 connectors?

Btw, this shelf normally requires 520b formatted disks. Does that requirement change when you yank the backplane?

Can you use normal 512b formatted drives?

Edit: Nevermind, all answered in the thread linked to in the next post below.

Last edited:

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
But this just uses Fibre-channel drives right? It cant connect standard SAS drives without some interposer?

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
It uses SAS disks, the interposer is basically only there to decode some Dell/EMC VNX messages to flash the orange and blue LEDs. You can't connect disks directly to the backplane without redesigning the caddy.
The older chassis KTN-STL4 used FC backplane and FC interposers. It's easy to tell the difference between the interposers as the SAS <> FC ones have a large IC on them and the SAS only ones don't.