EMC (Seagate Constellation) 2 TB SAS drives are "blocked"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

auroxin

Jun 19, 2022
I've got a bunch of EMC 2 TB SAS drives with PS0C firmware and an old 15 bay EMC VNX enclosure for them.

My problem is that the drives in the enclosure are not recognized as usable by my Dell H810 adapter -- they show up as "Blocked", and so I can't do anything with them.

For testing, I put a few 1 TB SATA drives into the enclosure -- they are recognized just fine and I can create a RAID array with them, so that shows that the enclosure, cabling, and the adapter are all good.

Questions:
Why would the SAS drives show up as "blocked"?
How can I remedy that without replacing the drives?

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Pretty sure your issue is 520b format on the drives;
https://www.reddit.com/r/simonheros/comments/izr5ml

auroxin

Jun 19, 2022
Thanks for your reply, but this is more than just a sector size difference. I hooked up one of the drives to a Perc 6/i with an appropriate cable -- the HA sees it, but also "blocked" in its setup menu. When I run "sg_scan" it does not show the 2 TB EMC drive, meaning that the Perc 6/i didn't pass the drive info to the OS, presumably because it sees the drive as "blocked".

I have some other functional SAS adapters (RocketRAID 26404, H710) but they either don't see the drive at all (RocketRAID), or in use (H710) and the 710 would most likely behave the same as the 810.

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
my H810 displayed the same behaviour until i reflashed it to an HBA courtesy of @fodeesha

Pretty sure RAID controllers in general are very picky about non 512byte sectors. HBA's (proper ones, not a RAID card with some yumcha HBA mode=on) don't seem to care.

This is merely my experience with 4 STL3 shelves with ES.1 2TB drives.

auroxin

Jun 19, 2022
That may very well be, and I'll be getting another SAS adapter soon that supposed to have manufacturer supplied IT firmware. Hopefully, that will allow me to reformat the HDDs.

I plan to use HW Raid6 with my STL3, so I would rather leave the H810 alone.