EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

R320cluster

Sep 15, 2021
Hey all

I just pick up a
EMC STL-3 15-bay 3.5" SFF-8088 3U Drive Enclosure. I looking at buying this hba card of ebay: Genuine LSI 9212-4i4e 6Gbps SAS HBA P20 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID | eBay and just want to confirm the hba card will work with the
Enclosure

Will2k.nz
That would be a safe choice of vendor. Art of Server is my go-to for IT mode HBAs. He is very helpful and sells a great product. I believe he is also on this forum as well.

I bought a similarly prepared card to the one you linked, "LSI 9200-8e 6Gbps ext SAS HBA P20 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID NoROM LOW PROFILE" , from Art of Server and it works perfectly with these specific shelves (I have two such shelves, worked fine with both, concurrently). While I can't guarantee compatibility, I think the one you linked would work just fine as well.

Edit: listing I linked was dead, thus a listing from another vendor was being shown by ebay -- link removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will2k_nz

Brandon_K

Jan 17, 2021
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey all

I just pick up a
EMC STL-3 15-bay 3.5" SFF-8088 3U Drive Enclosure. I looking at buying this hba card of ebay: Genuine LSI 9212-4i4e 6Gbps SAS HBA P20 IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID | eBay and just want to confirm the hba card will work with the
Enclosure

Will2k.nz
Yup, no issues there.

If you are using a chassis that you wouldn't use the internal port and you may potentially add another disk shelf down the line, you might want to consider a 9207-8e with two external ports.

Reactions: Will2k_nz

Will2k_nz

Mar 13, 2022
Thanks for the help guys

That's a very good point
If you are using a chassis that you wouldn't use the internal port and you may potentially add another disk shelf down the line, you might want to consider a 9207-8e with two external ports.

R320cluster

Sep 15, 2021
Does anybody happen to have a source or the specs for the little rubber spacers that sit between the interposer and 3.5" drives?

I don't have an example I can measure as the spacers I have are specifically for the 2.5" drive adapter caddy.

HatBeardMe

Mar 14, 2022
I pulled one from my ktn-stl3, a stock seagate Constellation ES 1TB SATA drive with SAS interposer, and the rubber pad seems to be 7mmX26mm, though it doesn't do anything (that I can see) other than prevent the interposer pins from hitting the drive's shell (insulation)

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
How do you update the firmware of a EMC KTN-STL3? Does it still have to be in the original VNX? Is there a console?

Looked through many threads on STH and Reddit, also tried registering on dell.com to download "EMC Unisphere" or whatever, but they would not even offer me some manuals. Went as far as look for VNX5200 pictures on ebay to have a product id but website is really hostile. "Go away" everywhere. No wonder their stuff gets dumped on ebay for half a penny on the dollar. Or less.

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
The firmware update happens automatically whenever you plug a shelf into a system if there is one available on the main unit (DPE), or if you perform an update to the Operating Environment (OE). I imagine it is possible to work around this somehow but it would be quite tricky.

VirtualHome

Dec 10, 2017
If I'm using SATA drives inside the chassis, am I still limited to a 1M cable between the controller and the chassis or can I go longer?

What part number of SAS controller is ideal to get for the EMC chassis?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
SAS cable length is not governed by drive interface tech, because there is a mid/backplane in the shelf with SAS expander chip. Max for SAS is 10 meters, but that will require super top notch twinax cabling. Anything above 5m is also rarer on ebay and more expensive. Stay at or below 4m and everything will just work.

For EMC KTN-STL3 you want 071-000-518 or 071-000-553 NOT 071-000-532. Interposers are 303-115-003D for SATA 1-port afaik and 303-116-003D for SATA 2-port.

VirtualHome

Dec 10, 2017
SAS cable length is not governed by drive interface tech, because there is a mid/backplane in the shelf with SAS expander chip. Max for SAS is 10 meters, but that will require super top notch twinax cabling. Anything above 5m is also rarer on ebay and more expensive. Stay at or below 4m and everything will just work.
Thats kinda what I figured, just wanted to make sure, thank you!

Just tried to order one from Garland Computer. They refused to guarantee specific part numbers. Is there anyplace people have had good luck ordering these from?

Will2k_nz

Mar 13, 2022

VirtualHome

Dec 10, 2017
Is the KTN-STL3 sorta the best bang/buck in the ~15 slot 3.5" chassis ?

Is there any particular vendor that is decent to pick one up? eBay prices seem to be around $250+ +shipping now. Reading this thread, they appeared to be quite a bit cheaper at one time.

vinegar

May 3, 2022
I found a very good deal on ebay on this chassis, but it comes without caddies. I plan to populate it with SATA drives, can I by just any 3.5" caddy or I need to look specifically for this model?

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
anyone able to use software to control HDD led with ktn-stl3? or is there a good way to look for a particular drive?

mower

Mar 31, 2022
A little late, but ledctl works on ubuntu machines

Something like

sudo ledctl locate=/dev/sdc

and then locate_off to turn the LED back off

sudo ledctl locate_off=/dev/sdc

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
Sorry, should have included this information. Below are the part numbers I'm aware of, unsure if there are substitutes or alternates.
P/N: 071-000-532 - 2nd Generation
P/N: 071-000-518 - 3rd Generation
P/N: 071-000-553 - 3rd Generation VE

Below are how they look on the label, luckily it calls out the generation.
View attachment 20732
View attachment 20733

I went with a 3rd Gen VE for two reasons. First I found a better price from a local ebay seller, so why not. Secondly I think this power supply is used in some of the newer enclosures, so I would assume that means its newer and perhaps a bit more efficient.
Hey man,

any idea what the part numbers for IOMs and PSUs are for the 2U 25 bay 2.5" DAE?

The PSU I have is 071-000-541 and is rather loud.