EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

undersizebag

Oct 14, 2021
Hey, looking to Dig this thread back up.

I am running an EMC KTN-SLT3 off a Dell R810 w/h800 perc without issue, however, I've filled my 15 drives, and purchased another (3 actually) KTN's - however I cannot get them to daisy chain. Every time I connect a second array I get 'Invalid SAS topology detected' - reviewed all my cabling and everything is how it should be.

Has anyone had any experience with daisy-chaining these?

LtBlunt

Mar 21, 2021
Hey, looking to Dig this thread back up.

I am running an EMC KTN-SLT3 off a Dell R810 w/h800 perc without issue, however, I've filled my 15 drives, and purchased another (3 actually) KTN's - however I cannot get them to daisy chain. Every time I connect a second array I get 'Invalid SAS topology detected' - reviewed all my cabling and everything is how it should be.

Has anyone had any experience with daisy-chaining these?
Hi Mate,

I would ask a dude on Reddit about these, I spoke to him before I purchased mine and hooked them up.
His username is MandaloreZA and responded to this post by some other dude
https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/5ra33m
Hope your able to get it working

Reactions: madLyfe

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
My guess would be that because you can't set the bus ID of the enclosure, the system is seeing 2 x Disk 0, 2 x Disk 1 etc. If you have spare ports on your SAS controller I would suggest connecting each shelf to a separate port. Or pop in another SAS controller and connect the extra shelves to that.

undersizebag

Oct 14, 2021
My guess would be that because you can't set the bus ID of the enclosure, the system is seeing 2 x Disk 0, 2 x Disk 1 etc. If you have spare ports on your SAS controller I would suggest connecting each shelf to a separate port. Or pop in another SAS controller and connect the extra shelves to that.
Appreciate the insight, I am new to SAS controllers and Arrays.

Id imagine its not based on your response, but, can I set the bus ID? I'm hoping to connect 6 of these arrays and I'd like to avoid having a controller for every array.

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
I don't know if anyone has managed to decode the SAS signals that the main control unit (DPE) would send to configure the shelf. In a VNX array, as soon as you plug the shelf in, numbers appear on the LED displays on the rear.
Here's a photo of one of my old VNX5200s
I know it's far from perfect but HP P822 cards have four external ports and are about £30 each.

undersizebag

Oct 14, 2021
It looks like going from my SAS Controller (h800) direct works, One cable per array vs daisy-chaining them together. it's not ideal, but it keeps me moving for now. Still going to actively look for a solution on how to get them to work via daisy chain but worst case, adding additional controllers will work.

Appreciate everyone's help and advice.

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
I have one of these and the enclosure works fine for about a month. Then suddenly all drives disappear after briefly show up. I couldn't figure it out why. sg_ses can see the enclosure and sas address of all the slots, but not the drives. And the drives test good. Anyone can guess a reason?

Edit: The enclosure is fine just need to plug in both PSUs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gomie

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
@undersizebag - are you using sas or sata drives with interposers? Are you trying to chain through the A or B controller? And are you single path to controller, or are you trying to run a second path as well?

Reactions: Gomie

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
Just wanted to add a few comments to this regarding power and noise. I purchased a KTN-STL4 chassis with SAS 6G modules. Playing around with a kill-a-watt I could not get this system sub 80W without drives installed and single PSU powered, it was also one of the louder pieces of equipment I own (SC200's as example). Not ear piercing or server boot levels, but I wouldn't want to run it even in my basement 24x7. Confirmed no fault light or any faults that I could locate, fans were definitly ramped down compared to boot.

Doing some research, playing with SG_SES and other options, found that the power supplies I have (Generation 2) are not PWM capable. They just switch voltage to ramp between low and high. PWM looks like it was added in Generation 3. Located some Generation 3 VE (Better or newer than generation 3? I'm not sure...) power supplies, same type (it appears) used in the currently supported 12G version of this enclosure. Bought those and installed, now its perfect. I'm getting 32-34 Watts (120v for this testing) with all powersupplies and modules seated, but only a single power supply powered. It is now quieter than my SC200's as well, which have fan RPM lowered. Still need to play around if I can further control PWM, but at this point happy.

TLDR: Generation of power supply on this matters significantly it seems. This this is mostly due to fans, rather than efficiency.

Last edited:

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
@oldfett; Do you happen to know how to identify these third generation power supplies? Part number for example would be very helpful if you are able please.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
@oldfett; Do you happen to know how to identify these third generation power supplies? Part number for example would be very helpful if you are able please.
Sorry, should have included this information. Below are the part numbers I'm aware of, unsure if there are substitutes or alternates.
P/N: 071-000-532 - 2nd Generation
P/N: 071-000-518 - 3rd Generation
P/N: 071-000-553 - 3rd Generation VE

Below are how they look on the label, luckily it calls out the generation.
EMC-2nd.jpg
EMC-3rd-VE-ebay-listing.JPG

I went with a 3rd Gen VE for two reasons. First I found a better price from a local ebay seller, so why not. Secondly I think this power supply is used in some of the newer enclosures, so I would assume that means its newer and perhaps a bit more efficient.

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
Thanks. It would appear as though I have a four pairs of 518;s and a few 071-000-535 Rev A10. Wondering if it's worth finding the 3VE version and what the 535's are.

They certainly ramp down the fan speeds a handful of seconds after starting but are still pretty loud. Would you suggest that the difference between the 3 and 3VE is worth investigating or not much difference compared to moving up from the gen 2?

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
They certainly ramp down the fan speeds a handful of seconds after starting but are still pretty loud. Would you suggest that the difference between the 3 and 3VE is worth investigating or not much difference compared to moving up from the gen 2?
I'm personally not honestly sure. Its my understanding that the Gen 3 added PWM fans, so I would assume the VE doesn't bring much difference to the table? One item of note is that unlike other enclosures I'm used to (Dell) both of the SAS modules must be seated or it gets angry and ramps up the fans (still lower than booting though).

As for 071-000-535, googling around for pictures it looks like that is a 3rd gen but made by Emerson? We may need to start putting together a list of part numbers, manufacturer and generation?

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Got 2 ST3 with all sleds and transposers. It is quiet and I was able to get the both sas and sata drives working by following the instructions. SATA drives only work with the lower controller. This is all good but my 3tb drive showed up as 2tb. I didn't have any other spare drives to test but I wanted to check if there is a known issue with large size drives. My HBA supports large size drives as I am using it with other sas enclosures.

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
doesn't happen to have a sas1 controller/backplane in it does it? This is guaranteed to give this issue with SATA drives, and a possible/probably with SAS drives over 2TB.

But no, this is not a known issue with this enclosure. Also possible that the interposers are not the ones we're used to seeing I suppose. I've not had any issues with the SAS P/N 303-115-003D although I understand there are a bunch of others out there that have broad problems like the SATA 250-136-903C

R320cluster

Sep 15, 2021
I just picked up a KTN-SL3, but it came with 2.5" adapted trays. What would be the appropriate 3.5" tray part number?

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
I've only seen one 2.5" in this and it was a genuine EMC filler tray in the normal 3.5" caddy. You could remove it just by opening the caddy and push a LFF straight in. What does yours look like?

Mine are 005049496

Because of all the different name plates (2TB SAS, 100GB SSD etc) on them (as well as interposers) there will be loads of options that are all essentially the same thing with a different disk type sticker.