EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
The chassis will suck about 50W without even a single drive in it. Drives are SAS and will draw about 7-9W each, adds up quickly. As for spin-down, these bad-boys are designed to hang off some pretty big enterprise servers, spin-down is not normal needed and if you have noticed, you may also have amber lights on the drives which says ISSUE but as we don't have full control of the chassis to program and communicate with them, bit of the wild west.

MishaZabrodin

Mar 18, 2020
Hello, sorry but I'm really curious, I have 2 of these home from an old VNX2, and I want to use the drives from my home nas but after using them some time with no issues with an external sas controller LSI 9207-8e I have noticed than even with my nas (unraid) telling the drives to power off they are still consuming that stupid amount of electricity (close to 170W full bay) instead of something close to 0 as they should (if it was like 50... but 170 is too much).

I have an array of 15 by 3TB. Running unraid with dual parity.

I'm thinking if you have found any way to lower the consuption or if you know the internal built of the shelves to search for a DIY solution.

Thanks in advance.
SSD will work fine in the same Caddy, Power will be lower.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
There is some local deal with someone selling each of them at 10$ possibly with caddies, basically free. I am just not sure if it worths for my time to get one of them. I don't need any sas enclosure but don't mind getting one for future usage if these ones can be quiet and don't alarm when plugged in to one power supply and one controller. Fan noise is not a major concern as long as long as it is not as loud as airplane but I don't want constant beeping ones. I read that they alarm when connected to one port but can I get confirmation on that?

Brandon_K

Jan 17, 2021
Pittsburgh, PA
There is some local deal with someone selling each of them at 10$ possibly with caddies, basically free. I am just not sure if it worths for my time to get one of them. I don't need any sas enclosure but don't mind getting one for future usage if these ones can be quiet and don't alarm when plugged in to one power supply and one controller. Fan noise is not a major concern as long as long as it is not as loud as airplane but I don't want constant beeping ones. I read that they alarm when connected to one port but can I get confirmation on that?
As long as both power supplies and both controllers are present, they're very quiet as far as fan noise. Connected to a 9207-8e HBA and Unraid, no alarms.

Where is local? I'd be interested in picking another one up.

LtBlunt

Mar 21, 2021
Does anyone have the manual for these units, my google fu seems lacking for these KTN-STL3's

HoldFast

May 7, 2021
Hi - I have one of these chassis but struggling to see the drives.
LSI9300-8e installed. IT mode.
Link lights up - Avago Mega RAID storage Manager can see the enclosure but not the drives. What I do notice is that the Loop and Enclosure ID are flashing - for those with these units that are working - is this what you see?
The drives are hgst sas 512b so not suspecting the drives at this stage. The caddies are marked as sas but need to check the interposers.
Thanks!

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
As long as both power supplies and both controllers are present, they're very quiet as far as fan noise. Connected to a 9207-8e HBA and Unraid, no alarms.

Where is local? I'd be interested in picking another one up.
They were in Everett, WA area. I was too lazy to pick them up, I think seller simple thrashed them as there was no way he sold all of them so quickly. Unfortunately, SAS enclosure prices are going off the roof now, wish picked up a few. Now a local Redmond, WA seller is asking $160 for one. :eek:

LtBlunt

Mar 21, 2021
Link lights up - Avago Mega RAID storage Manager can see the enclosure but not the drives. What I do notice is that the Loop and Enclosure ID are flashing - for those with these units that are working - is this what you see?
The drives are hgst sas 512b so not suspecting the drives at this stage. The caddies are marked as sas but need to check the interposers.
Thanks!
Just checking, but did you configure the shelf at post?

matchett808

May 12, 2021
Thanks!
Did you get a solution? I've picked one up and got to the same stage...

gtcdma

Oct 29, 2020
Did you get a solution? I've picked one up and got to the same stage...
I have 3 of these and they, basically, just work with any drives without issues. My controller is LSI 9207-8e with IT firmware.
Make sure you are using the right caddies/interposers. The ones that work should not have any large ICs on them, just two connectors and some small parts. Part number 303-115-003D or 204-115-603.

Edd189

Oct 18, 2019
The chassis will suck about 50W without even a single drive in it. Drives are SAS and will draw about 7-9W each, adds up quickly. As for spin-down, these bad-boys are designed to hang off some pretty big enterprise servers, spin-down is not normal needed and if you have noticed, you may also have amber lights on the drives which says ISSUE but as we don't have full control of the chassis to program and communicate with them, bit of the wild west.
34W at idle with no drives and one PSU connected to 120V.
40W at idle with no drives and both PSUs connected to 120V.

I sacrifice the dual PSU redundancy on mine to save 6 watts.

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
The loop and enclosure displays will just flash constantly, they're expecting messages from the VNX controller to address them. The drives should be recognised immediately.

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
I've never tried it outside of a VNX environment but if you connect the Circle ports of shelf 1 to your HBA, you would then connect the Diamond port of shelf 1 to the Circle port of Shelf 2 and repeat.

the1cyrus

Jul 26, 2021
Yep have similar problems. Connected to the ktn-stl3 enclosure via SAS HBA in IT MODE and it was able to find the drives with the command sg_scan -i. Formatted the drives to 512 block size but now what? I cant seem to give them a partition since they are not visible to lsblk, blkid, fdisk, or parted. lsscsi does detect them but still unsure on how to proceed. Has anyone gotten further that can share some light?

lukts30

Aug 4, 2018
Is there any way of powering down an ES30 (ktn-stl3) expansion shelve cleanly?

The only way I currently can shut it down is through a power strip on/off.

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
Not that I'm aware of. In it's native environment, when you shut down a VNX, the DPE is shutdown first, this stops all I/O and ensures everything is safe to power down. Once the DPE is powered off, it's just a case of pulling cables.