EMC 100GB SSD (SATA) - Anyone managed to use these?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Those are Fibre Channel Arbitrary Loop (FCAL). Avoid the pain and just forget it.

OliverWhittington

Apr 11, 2016
@psannz- Yeah i here you... What's your experience of them?

I've tried a lot of the common approaches online (520b>510b) to make these usable but nothing get's them initialized and usable within Windows.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Those are Fibre Channel Arbitrary Loop (FCAL). Avoid the pain and just forget it.
They're not. SATA drives with FC interposers. With that said, the drives are ancient and will have terrible performance (even though they're SLC, expect ~100MB/s) and power consumption. A 3.5" 100GB SSD puts it about, oh, 2008 I'd say? I don't think I'd run them even if they were free.

OliverWhittington

Apr 11, 2016
They're not. SATA drives with FC interposers. With that said, the drives are ancient and will have terrible performance (even though they're SLC) and power consumption. A 3.5" 100GB SSD puts it about, oh, 2008 (maybe even 2007) I'd say? I don't think I'd run them even if they were free.
@BlueFox - I have a handful of workstations i'm giving away to people so wanted to give them all something better than a spinner for their OS's. Have you ever heard of these being repurposed?

I believe their FC interposers > SATA SSD that can only really be discovered and listed on a SAS controller :D lol

I've already shucked them from their FC caddies, I'm now seriously dabbling on sticking a SAS interposer onto their SATA ports just to try and confuse them into working! lol.

pututu

May 7, 2016
hardforum.com
Bump this thread. Extremely unlikely but just checking if anyone has any new luck in getting this Samsung 100GB SS160511 model working directly with SATA cable.

I've two of these drives. I've reviewed this and this posts, so I'm concluding that I've almost zero chance of getting this to work directly with SATA connection. The firmware version that I have is VCC13C3Q.

Wasn't successful in formatting from 520B to 512B block size using SATA without the FC interposer. Unfortunately I don't have SAS controller on my H11SSL-i MB and I don't even have a SAS to SATA cable. I reckon the cost of getting these two is more than the cost of the old drives which I read is not fast. However with SLC memory the drive should outlive the MLC/TLC/QLC based SSDs.