Email Service Providers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I am currently using a SMTP relay from one of my DNS providers

My actual volume of email is trivially small; server notification, personal email, micro-business email, swmbo vanity email.

Been reading all the things. G Suite, Office 365, FastMail, ProtonMail, MXRoute, DigitalOcean VPS.

I need SMTP so that leaves Protonmail out despite the fact that I'd love to give them my money.

For work I have been using and administrating G Suite and Office 365 and they are very appealing in a lot of ways but the charging by the user account adds up pretty quickly and I own a few domains.

Fastmail et al have the same per user per month type of pricing model.

Roll my own w/ a VPS or and IPv6 or VPN Tunnel (I am behind a dynamic ip and my ISP rapes me for a static IP). I am extremely tempted by a roll my own of course but the various warning of ending up in spam, blacklists, and generally high maintenance give me pause.

MxRoute has the unlimited domains/accounts seems appealing for price and the general passion of the ownership but is a small operation.

Thoughts?

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I've been using MxRoute for about 2 years for all non-business related emails (O365 for business). I have also suggested it to other tech friends for their own purposes as well.
I, nor they, have ever experienced an issue or outage and, if you look on LowEndTalk, you'll find lots of coupon codes.
I pay $5 / year but it appears the average is about $40 / 2 years.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
thanks... I'm going to go with a droplet and mxroute. I am pretty sure that given my inability to complete projects and break things that outbound email on a droplet might be a bad idea but I will certainly play with it.