EliteDesk 705 G4 R5-2400GE 16GB RAM 256GB SSD $200

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
wow not bad. if it had the wifi I would probably buy it as a whim to replace my mother in law's old desktop

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I have this. Good deal. Two things: wifi not there, so you have to add in that card. Also the vga can get swapped out to DP or USBC (I bought a USBC card for $40 or so).

I can not figure out how to tone down this fan. It runs a lot, it's audible at desktop range. I get annoyed with the fan running so often. Yes, I've tried various power settings, AMD drivers for the graphics card, new paste, everything.

My last step is to install linux on it and see if this is a windows problem, but the temps Windows report make me think this is a thermal problem. Google offers no help.

So, if you need this for a remote Win Pro box to RDP into, it's awesome. For ear-range use, buyer beware that it could happen to you

Reactions: Psycho_Robotico

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Thanks for buying it all, you guys saved me a good $200-225. I was about to pull the trigger at list due to the long list of offers being made, but thankfully I forgot about it for a while.:cool:

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
got 1 for $200, too.

I tried to search the HP T730 thread for the fan replacement suggestions(they look very similar), but haven't found yet.

CleverBullet

Feb 19, 2022
I think these will be a nice upgrade to my 800 G2
I'd like to see if the AMD GPU can do madVR upscaling well

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Received 1.
Only the computer and the power supply.
2 x samsung 8GB ram and a toshiba 256gb m.2 drive inside.
Missing the hard drive caddy and the sata cable for the drive.

It ran into hp sure recover automatically. But it seems it is missing something on the m.2 drive for this process, the error message is "unable to determine the current OS for this system due to configuration error."
Does It look like the toshiba m.2 drive was wiped directly/completely before shipping?

I will try Proxmox at first.

Update1: Stress-ng have running in the VM with all 8 vCores for 2 minutes. The CPU temperature goes up to Celsius 7x. The fan noise was acceptable when I sit in front of it and it was running the stress-ng.

Last edited:

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Over the weekend I switched from Win 10 Pro bare metal (with HP's bloat) to Proxmox with Win 10 Pro (passing through UUID) and macOS Monterey. I left the lid off to see if that would assist the fan. The fan is still very loud. I saw one on eBay today for $190, but at this point I'd recommend a different TMM. The inability to do multiple apu pass through in Proxmox doesn't help

I don't have a sata drive in at the moment.

EDIT: This is the correct usb-c flexIO. I bought it for $25 in 2020, and the price has come down since

Last edited:

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Update2: Its motherboard specs only said it has a m.2 ssd slot. Does anyone try a m.2 sata on it? (The stock toshiba one is a m.2 nvme.)

Ordered a drive caddy. I am thinking to use a micron 5100 960gb + another m.2 sata 960gb as a raid1 pair for the Proxmox.

Update3: Tried a m.2 sata drive and an optain m10 32gb(m.2 nvme). Both cannot be recognized. Booting from a debian bootable flash drive and no drive showing up except of the flash drive itself.

Last edited:

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Update4: 2 m.2 sata ssds(a micron 5100 series and a HPE brand micron oem) and the optain m10(m.2 nvme) didn't worked. Only the stock toshiba(m.2 nvme, but with m+e key) and a Kingston m.2 nvme drive works.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Update5:
(1) The power consumption of a stress-ng test can reach up to 75-78 watts, then drop to 28-30 watts just after the test is finished.
(2) A samsung consumer m.2 nvme and a Kingston read-intensive m.2 nvme are compatible. An FIO test in the VM can make the temperature of this samsung m.2 ssd go up to Celsius 8x-90, without m.2 heatsink.

Reactions: abq

servape

Mar 26, 2022

Accepted my offer of $200
Helllo @devin122 - How do you like this system? I am looking for a thin client to run standard desktop apps - browsing, office apps, some photo editing, etc. Which model CPU did your unit come with? The listing says 'HDD Caddie included with the PC' - is the caddie for a standard 2.5" drive?

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I followed the idea from a YouTube video and put thermal pads in a bunch of places, including under the cpu (backside of mobo in the cutout of the lotus bracket)

put a lot of thermal paste on the cpu. So far the fan is still running, but doesn’t seem as loud. Next I might layer up thermal pads on the black fan shroud

is there a thing of “too much thermal paste”?

glow

Mar 22, 2022
[...]

is there a thing of “too much thermal paste”?
Probably :D But if it helps with noise reduction, I'd say it's well done.

I am glad to hear there are ways to reduce fan noise. I have a Prodesk 600 G2, and its fan is easily the loudest part of my environment. The unloaded fan is quiet, but the airflow restriction of the heatsink makes it quite noisy. HP's BIOS/UEFI can set the minimum fan speed to 0%, but even at 31C, the fan never idles. The SuperIO chip is some Nuvoton NPCD315HA0DX, which is still used by HP today and unsupported by any driver that Nuvoton or others have put up. Even finding a datasheet has been impossible, so far.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Update6:

Removed the original thermal paste on the CPU and applied MX-2 paste. A Micron enterprise sata SSD and the previous Samsung consumer NVME drive paired as RAID1.

Installed a M.2 heatsink. The heatsink's upper surface is covered with a heat transfer tape. Then stacked with a drive caddy with the Micron drive, without a drive fan.

An FIO test in the Proxmox itself can make the maximum temperature of this samsung m.2 ssd up to Celsius 65, with a m.2 heatsink. The Micron drive goes up to Celsius 45. The CPU fan noise during this process was low when the box was sitting 1-1.5 feet away from me.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Update:
There are unpredictable freezing and stopping on the 705 g4 mini after my previous tests. Probably it needs a dummy plug for the DisplayPort or VGA port. Uses a such plug and will wait to see whether this will happen again.