ELI5 Nutanix and Citrix Stack?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hd2012

Jan 18, 2014
Hello all, I'm interested in setting up a proof of concept installation of citrix VDI on the nutanix community edition. Is this even possible to do at home? I've never dealt with citrix yet so I'm asking the dumb questions up front. The conceptual goal would be to deploy to a few citrix hdx zero clients at home.

Thanks all

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Nutanix server hardware is very similar to the C6100 we have seen in the forum. Just make sure you have the LSI 2008 or better HBA on it. Nutanix provide VM and storage, but you still need the Citrix stack after that. Citrix skill demand is high, it will be a fun experience!

Hello all, I'm interested in setting up a proof of concept installation of citrix VDI on the nutanix community edition. Is this even possible to do at home? I've never dealt with citrix yet so I'm asking the dumb questions up front. The conceptual goal would be to deploy to a few citrix hdx zero clients at home.

Thanks all

hd2012

Jan 18, 2014
thanks, I thought about a 6100 platform, but ideally i'd like to run with gpu grid assist to really reflect production mode. as far as i know, a grid won't fit in a 6100 right? perhaps i should just run this on proconsumer hardware (aka IBM TS140) for proof of concept. in terms of zero HDX 3D Pro clients? are they all the same? or is there a preferred "namebrand"? thanks!

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Nutanix is the same as VMware vSAN. It requires 3 nodes to start. (preferred) The control VM on it (virtual appliance) consumes about 16 GB of memory out of the start. TS140 will be light for that.

As for Grid. You can't put them in C6100 for it's size and power. K1000/2000 (not cheap) requires additional power connector not sure if TS140 can handle that.

For Zero client, Wyse Xenith will be a good start.

hd2012

Jan 18, 2014
Can you explain what you mean by "(preferred)"? Do you have experience in VDI? If so, would you go citrix or vmware if starting from zero? Thanks!