Electrical load tracking by circut recommendations ?.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

We are having issues with our main distribution box circuit breaker tripping (the master breaker).

We bought the property 10+ years ago (2 floor flat / apartment) and changing the whole set of eletrics is one thing that was out of budget so we were only able to tag on some new wall boxes and left it at that.

Whilst I am likely to get the whole of the electrics redone, it will be expensive and so not possible at this time.

To help manage the issue, I am looking for a system that will help me see which curcuits are pulling what load so I can do some basic troubleshooting.

Our distribution board uses bus bars (see picture).

I have come across the Emporia Energy Vue Energy Monitor which looks good. Are there any others anyone could recommend.

It should be noted I am not in the US or UK but the system used here is 230v @ 50Htz.

Requirements;
  • Ideally not web connected or subscription based.
  • Ideally viewable on a computer (moble is ok but PC management preferred for these old eyes).
  • A network device is fine (RJ45 or WiFi)
  • Ability to track power use of 14+ circuits
  • Ability to display Power / current usage over time (Watts / Amps etc)
Any other systems worth a look ?.

ThanksDistributionUnit.jpeg

Reactions: UhClem and abq

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Thank you both for reminding me about this "project" of mine. [I had looked into this 5-6 years ago, and there was nothing--DIY (my pref) or otherwise.] Now, as my JA friend would say, "pick, choose and refuse, mon".

I just ordered one of these [Link] ($8 shipped) to experiment with. [But I have (less than) zero interest in their software.]
-------------------
Old-time hacker adage: "If you make a program idiot-proof, only an idiot will want to use it."

Reactions: RimBlock

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
THanks for the replies and I will take a look at those.

We had the two main breakers replaced along with the one 'sticky'breaker'. We have not had a trip since so far but it would still be good to monitor these circuits.